Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM

30 posts, read 44,940 times

Advertisements

So I am buying a house and it will come with some sort of water loop?! Is the water in arizona really "hard" and will get grimy stuff on the walls if you dont get a water softener or one of those new pipe wrap dealys?? does anyone know what I am talking about? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 01:31 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,581,108 times
The "water loop" is plumbing where you can install a water softener. Since most Phoenix area water is hard, without one you will likely get calcium deposits in your plumbing, and washing will be more difficult.

HowStuffWorks "How does a water softener work?"

By "pipe wrap dealy" I assume you are asking about something like this:

Magna-Wrap Home Magnetic Water Softener

I'd be very skeptical about their efficiency as compared to a regular water softener.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:40 PM

183 posts, read 550,113 times
Magnets cure cancer, improve circulation, soften water, and now they will magically stick to some metal surfaces.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
If you want to save money on a softener, check Craigslist - a top-end softener shouldn't cost more than $1,000 new & installed - anyone charging more, or promising to "soften" water without salt is a huckster.

It isn't possible to soften without salt - unless you want to use Reverse-Osmosis. A typical household RO system can produce a couple gallons of stored water - great drinking water, but not enough to wash your clothes or dishes.

You can live without a softener in Phoenix, but be prepared to replace the cartridges in your faucets about once a year, and also prepare for a buildup of lime/calcium on your shower walls. It isn't life-threatening, it's just part of living here.

The hot ticket if you really want great tasting water is an under-sink RO.

Last edited by Zippyman; 05-31-2011 at 09:23 PM..

Old 06-01-2011, 01:46 AM

30 posts, read 44,940 times
Thanks everyone. So basically I should just get a water softener instead of the magnet wrap? How often will I have to replace this water softener. How much maintenance does it need, how often does salt have to be added?

Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by washingtonhopeful View Post
Thanks everyone. So basically I should just get a water softener instead of the magnet wrap? How often will I have to replace this water softener. How much maintenance does it need, how often does salt have to be added?
Depending on how many people are in your house & how much water they use (clothes, laundry, dishes) - you'll probably end up buying a bag of salt a month.

A single person may get a couple of months out of one bag...

Maintenance is very infrequent with a good softener - let the tank run out of salt about once a year & scrub the salt tank down, usually the control head of the softener will last 10-15 years, and rebuilt ones can be had on ebay for a couple hundred bucks... the "resin" inside the softener lasts about 15 years, and is usually replaced when the control head is rebuilt... under $100 for the materials for that...

no big deal - unhook the softener, unscrew the control head off the top, dump the resin out, scrub the tank out with a (new) toilet brush taped to a broom handle - dump in gravel & resin, spin on a rebuilt control head & reconnect. If it takes an hour you weren't trying very hard.

The magnet wrap isn't going to do anything but lighten your wallet.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:24 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
What is the best way or product to keep shower/tub clean or free from build up of such minerals?

Old 06-01-2011, 06:12 AM

A softener would prevent them from building up - removing them can be done with CLR or "lime-a-way".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area