U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2011, 04:46 PM

17,579 posts, read 20,896,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
While I did live in Austin, I didnt live there long, but for a town of liberals, so called anyway, I felt extremely out of place. I am a liberal, a liberal that lived in Portland and Seattle for quite some time. I thought that Austin was very right winged. That said, I would rather live with a town full of nice Mormon people that the self righous Southern baptist of Central Texas. I dont have any religious beliefs. Unlike Texas, where I was asked what church I attended at a job interview, no one has ever discussed there religion or conservative views with me in Gilbert. I like the neat clean community, the nice schools, the cute down town (which has a killer breakfast place we just discovered the other day), the bike paths are spruced up in compassion to Mesa, or Chandler. There are nice community parks, nature preserves (next to a fantastic library).
Amen to that! Austin is questionably an exception, but Gilbert is going to be more tolerant that just about any place in have-you-found-a-church-home-Texas.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-15-2011 at 04:56 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM

5,600 posts, read 5,484,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmovingfromaustin View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the polite response. I will also look at Scottsdale and Tempe. I understand the majority of Gilbert residents are not Mormon but I do think it's significant how nearly all of Gilbert's political leaders are Mormon, a fact which can't be ignored. I'm not comfortable with the idea of one conservative religious group dictating the politics of one community. We plan on settling in Arizona permanently and if my family should want a say in local politics, I wouldn't want that opportunity denied them because they don't share the same conservative views or do not belong to a particular church. I'm not saying that's how others should think. It seems like a very a clean and nice community so to those who live there and are happy, I am also very happy for you.
I concur that you would be happier in Scottsdale or Tempe than Gilbert or Mesa, but why not consider the City of Phoenix? There are plenty of attractive, safe, reasonably priced residential neighborhoods in the City of Phoenix where you will have great access to urban amenities and could actively participate in community life. I'm especially fond of the Arcadia neighborhood where you can actually WALK to a lot of places, grab coffee in a sidewalk cafe, easily get to a library or a museum.

Another interesting fact about the city: it has the largest stock of mid-century modern house in the entire country. Phoenix has an active community of people dedicated to preserving this unique feature and help abounds to assist you in finding a beautiful (or in need of restoration, if you prefer) "Atomic Ranch." If you prefer a more traditional vintage house check out the Willo or Encanto/Palmcroft neighborhoods. Closer to the mountains but still less than 10 miles from mid-town is Sunnyslope, a treasure trove of interesting people and architecture. Arty and diverse ... perhaps more Austin-like. Should newer construction be a must for you, I'd check out Chandler, which has the current suburban styles and amenities, but is a bit less conservative than Gilbert et. al. You will still be very car-dependent there, however.

Modern Phoenix: The Neighborhood Network
Willo Historic District, Downtown Phoenix, Home Tour, Historic
Encanto-Palmcroft Historic Preservation Association | Phoenix, Arizona/
Modern Phoenix: There's No Place Like Sunnyslope
City of Chandler, Arizona
Arcadia (Phoenix) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Best wishes on your move.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 4,923,508 times
I have a different sort of suggestion. I don't know if you just plan to buy and live there, boom, but my recommendation (and others have told me to do this and I did not listen) is to spend some time renting - even at a Residence Inn for a week or two - in parts of the Valley to see what will work for you. Buying a house off the bat, and especially based on feedback on the Internet can be a scary proposition and I don't recommend it.

I've lived in very liberal places and I consider this state to be far too conservative for my tastes. It wouldn't matter what part of the Valley I lived in. This has never been the place for me and, yes, politics do dictate policy and services so I place a high priority on politics.

Also, you mentioned you are Sikh. I don't know what the Sikh population is here, but I would look at those areas as well. People tend to like to live around like-minded people. At a minimum, they could give you some excellent input that you most likely will not find on CD. I'd look for a Sikh temple and go there and talk to some people and see if you cannot get more information that way.

Here is one resource for you:

http://www.arizonasikhgurdwara.com/

Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 AM

6,120 posts, read 5,851,481 times
Quote:
Thank you, I appreciate the polite response. I will also look at Scottsdale and Tempe. I understand the majority of Gilbert residents are not Mormon but I do think it's significant how nearly all of Gilbert's political leaders are Mormon, a fact which can't be ignored. I'm not comfortable with the idea of one conservative religious group dictating the politics of one community. We plan on settling in Arizona permanently and if my family should want a say in local politics, I wouldn't want that opportunity denied them because they don't share the same conservative views or do not belong to a particular church. I'm not saying that's how others should think. It seems like a very a clean and nice community so to those who live there and are happy, I am also very happy for you.
I am glad that my reply was helpful. I genuinely do hope that the rancor that has predominated most of this thread has convinced you that your family would feel unwelcome here. While I cannot presume to put myself in your place, I sincerely believe that most of the folks here are open minded and welcoming to all matter if colors and religions. I admit, the political lean is to the right, but that does not alter our face to face interactions with human beings.

It may also interest you to know that the east valley has the fastest growing Asian population in the US.

No community is perfect, especially when it relates to new or unknown 'affiliations' moving in. I would encourage you to contact other members of the Sikh community in this area and specifically ask them how they feel about living here. I hope that their response is Largely positive.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 AM

14,116 posts, read 10,074,567 times
Quote:
I understand the majority of Gilbert residents are not Mormon but I do think it's significant how nearly all of Gilbert's political leaders are Mormon, a fact which can't be ignored.
If the majority of Gilbert's residents are not Mormon, but the majority of its political leaders are, who elected them and why?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM

6,066 posts, read 8,466,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
If the majority of Gilbert's residents are not Mormon, but the majority of its political leaders are, who elected them and why?
People probably do not vote based on the religion of the candidates. I don't.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 PM

6,120 posts, read 5,851,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Possibly because they were the most qualified?

Possibly because they were the candidates that the citizens of Gilbert believed were most interested in improving and growing the community?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM

17,579 posts, read 20,896,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Possibly because they were the most qualified?

Possibly because they were the candidates that the citizens of Gilbert believed were most interested in improving and growing the community?
Yeah, right. The reason is more likely that Gilbert citizens are no more involved in local politics than those in any other city. The ones who are (prominent LDS families and businessmen) pick the candidates in the primary and the good citizens dutifully select whomever has an "R" behind their name on the ballot knowing nothing of their qualifications.

It does make you wonder. At the state level, poll after poll shows that the majority of AZ citizens disagree with the legislature on numerous issues from transplants to education to guns on campus, but the same guys keep getting elected and ignoring the people. We deserve it, of course, for not taking an interest, but that seems to be the way it is in AZ.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:37 PM

3,329 posts, read 2,937,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yeah, right. The reason is more likely that Gilbert citizens are no more involved in local politics than those in any other city. The ones who are (prominent LDS families and businessmen) pick the candidates in the primary and the good citizens dutifully select whomever has an "R" behind their name on the ballot knowing nothing of their qualifications.

It does make you wonder. At the state level, poll after poll shows that the majority of AZ citizens disagree with the legislature on numerous issues from transplants to education to guns on campus, but the same guys keep getting elected and ignoring the people. We deserve it, of course, for not taking an interest, but that seems to be the way it is in AZ.
That's how every state works. When I lived in Illinois people voted for whomever had a "D" next to their name with the same results. That's politics. Party trumps policy.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:10 PM

2,832 posts, read 2,656,251 times
Well, Im a liberal, as earlier noted, however, if our town is the way it is because of the Loons that are currently running the show, I guess thats OK, because I just love it here. Be nice if we could see more people who agree with my political thinking, but even in seattle, not everyone agreed with me there either. What fun are political debates if everyone agrees with you....seriously, its like growing up in Denver, and being a Bronco fan, how do you talk sports when everyone agrees with you....much more fun when its spicy. Even though you conservatives are wrong on just about everyting...and I, of course am correct on everything, Ill give you a pass as long as gilbert remains #7 safeset city in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area