Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 07:52 PM

681 posts, read 1,554,612 times

Advertisements

I have been lurking here for months.

Firstly, I would like to thank all of the regular contributors (especially Captain Bill) for their insightful and informative posts. Saves me from asking a lot of questions when so many of them have already been answered!

Now on to my specific question: We have an put in an offer on a house that is located close to the "now closed" Skunk Creek Landfill. The only useful information I can find (from 2006) states that a park was planned for this re-claimed parcel of land - but that funding meant it was 10 years away.

Two questions:
Since the economy has tanked, is it possible that these plans have been permanently shelved or at best delayed another decade?

And... as many contributors on here are realtors, home-owners and investors... would you consider proximity to a former landfill with a methane/electricity generating plant on it a big barrier to resale?

Looking for opinions (or facts if anyone has them).... thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:14 PM

475 posts, read 810,444 times
I would avoid it. Lots to chose from chose somewhere else.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:38 PM

681 posts, read 1,554,612 times
Actually, for what we are looking for, there isn't a lot to choose from.

We really like the Stetson area between the 101 and Happy Valley, west of I-17 (North Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria).

We have a community pool as a "must have", not interested in a condo or townhome and are looking at homes under $150k.

As many others have noted recently, homes in this price range are moving really quickly and the community pool seems to be a rarity in this price range and area. The only real downside (that we can see) is this former landfill... it doesn't bother me a whole bunch, but if we ever need to sell and can't because of the location, then it will bother me!

Old 06-15-2011, 09:02 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,730,418 times
If you feel it can bother other people when you go to sell, then you may want to avoid it.

In Gilbert, on Val Vista Drive there is an old land fill that until recently was used as a Rodeo grounds, with activity there year round. There are homes built around there that don't mind, and most likely, many don't even know it was a landfill.

However, it apparently began to leak, and they had to force the rodeo people to relocate so they can contain it.

You may want to check with the city planners and look at the general plan for that area to find out for sure what their plans are.

After doing sufficient research there you may be able to make a more informed decision.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:06 PM

22 posts, read 101,984 times
why would u want to live near something like that?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:11 PM

38,977 posts, read 50,916,728 times
If they do convert it to a park it will help with property values. No one will even ask about it then. The Cave Creek golf course is the old Deer Valley Landfill.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM

426 posts, read 1,301,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredOfyycCold View Post
Actually, for what we are looking for, there isn't a lot to choose from.

We really like the Stetson area between the 101 and Happy Valley, west of I-17 (North Phoenix, Glendale, Peoria).

We have a community pool as a "must have", not interested in a condo or townhome and are looking at homes under $150k.

As many others have noted recently, homes in this price range are moving really quickly and the community pool seems to be a rarity in this price range and area. The only real downside (that we can see) is this former landfill... it doesn't bother me a whole bunch, but if we ever need to sell and can't because of the location, then it will bother me!
If you don't mind driving a bit further north, you may want to check out the Tramonto area near I-17 and Carefree Highway. I've lived here for about two years and there are two pools to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If they do convert it to a park it will help with property values. No one will even ask about it then. The Cave Creek golf course is the old Deer Valley Landfill.
My wife used to work at the Cave Creek Golf Course about 10 years ago. She's told me stories about any time there was a big rain storm that the dirt would shift around and old trash would be exposed at the surface.

I personally wouldn't want to live near an area where this might be possible down the road.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:46 PM

240 posts, read 835,243 times
The Skunk Creek Landfill was 30 plus years in operation (cite) with 12,000,000 tons of waste (cite) and has since had erosion and drainage repairs (cite). The claimed park is a decade away (cite) so is the gas generation plant (cite) in conjunction with or instead of the park? And when are they going to build the plant, how long will it take, is there going to be noise 24/7, will it be expanded, how about the smell, emissions, discharge, what if there is a fire, how close is too close?

Quote:
A 3,000 kilowatt power-generating plant is planned at the closed Skunk Creek Landfill utilizing methane gas from the site's own gas collection system. It is estimated that this project will generate output equivalent to the average power needs of 2,000 Valley homes (cite).
Please take this with some grains of salt, as it was a quick Google search, thrown together, not verified, but for us it would raise a red flag.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 PM

235 posts, read 753,202 times
This sounds like it would be a costly mistake if you are buying in hopes of reselling one day. Unless you really love the house, I would stay away.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:51 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,894,620 times
Unless you literally buy right across from the landfill, I don't thinks an issue. I live off 67th Ave and Happy Valley and drive by that landfill all the time and never think twice about it, you don't see it from the main road...there's just a gate where the entrance used to be. What bothers me more is the juvenile detention center off of I-17 and Pinnacle Peak..not for safety but it's just an eyesore and kind of awkward in a way if you hae guests in town and take that exit...they're like "you live by a jail?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area