Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:53 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times

Advertisements

I live in Goodyear and a lot further than .75 miles from the closest dairy (more like 10 miles) and I can smell it very strong in the late evenings. It gets worse as the temperatures rise. No way would I live that close to a dairy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 08:42 PM

6 posts, read 18,066 times
Thanks to everyone for the comments.

We don't do the poo!

We'll look elsewhere.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:15 PM

80 posts, read 172,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm always fascinated by people who go through the process of looking for and buying a home (which should include passing through and getting familiiar with the surrounding area (including dairy farms) and never apparently consider whether the proximity of dozens or hundreds of cows could be an issue before buying the house and moving in, and THEN complain. There's a legal doctrine called "coming to the nuisance" which applies in situations like this. If you move next to a dairy farm or an airport or a noisy factory, well, look in the mirror for whose fault it is that you are unhappy.
Too bad your legal document means nothing in most cases. I have been a racing fan since birth and have seen numerous racetracks shut down due to urban sprawl. When I was young, most of these tracks were miles from town and nobody cared. As time goes by and people move farther and farther out into suburbia, they eventually get close enough that they can barely hear a motorcycle every other Sunday in the summer. Eventually, all of these racetracks get shut down for one reason or another. It just takes that one loudmouth homeowner that happens to know the right person in City Hall and away goes the racetrack. This happened here in Phoenix to the track that sits right next to the runway at Luke. Imagine that, moving next to the Air Force base that trains our fighter pilots and being bothered by a little motorcycle noise a couple of times a month.

Old 08-30-2015, 03:36 PM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times
Default I like milk

And they were here first.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:49 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
For those out there who were not aware:

Cows SMELL.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
I was at a meeting last night with the Mayor of Gilbert, John Lewis. He asked everyone what their first memory was of when they moved to Gilbert, and why they chose the area. Believe it or not, a couple people actually chose Gilbert because of the farm like smell. It' VERY minimal, to what it was like 25 years ago. To each his own.
I had a friend who grew up on a ranch and his dad always said "It smells like money to me"

Old 09-04-2015, 12:23 PM

480 posts, read 844,757 times
I like farm smells - lots of nostalgic memories of walking into barns when I was little. At the same time, I'm not a fan of farm animal smells. In Michigan, my family lived within a couple of miles of a pig farm, and a shift in the wind was seriously unwelcome. LOL!

However, the smell (at least here in Chandler south of the 202) is also really not intrusive. I was very concerned that by moving to this area from North Phoenix (Desert Ridge area), I'd be gagging every night from a mixture of stinky effluent water and stinky dairy farms. I gave some thought to whether we needed to place potpourri or those oil-stick perfume things around the house.

I've been very pleasantly surprised. Over the course of several months, maybe a dozen times I've smelled what I'd call a "farm dirt smell." It not fertilizer or something like fish emulsion, just kind of the smell of mud - I'm guessing that's coming from agricultural land like corn fields. It's nothing at all like the dreaded "animal smell." I've only noticed an animal smell on 2 or 3 heavy humidity monsoon evenings. I can deal with that sort of thing once a month. And to put it in perspective, in North Phoenix, the apartment trash compactor smelled far worse, and smelled like that all the time.

Of course, we don't live adjacent to a dairy farm or a stockyard - but anyone living next to those should have caveated their emptor, read the Public Report. Didn't they even look at Google Maps to see what their neighborhood looked like before they bought?

Complaining about animal smells when you buy a house next to a dairy farm is like complaining about aircraft noises when you buy a house next to an airport, or complaining about traffic noise when you buy a house near a freeway. I just imagine these people astonished by the world around them, like they think dairy farms are going to smell like the milk refrigerator at Bashas. "OMG, dairy farms smell like cows? And you know those freeways have CARS on them? Noway! Next you're gonna tell me airports have planes taking off."

Old 09-04-2015, 04:54 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
And they were here first.
Thanks for resurrecting a four year old thread for that. I don't even know whether the dairy farms that were the subject of the thread to start with are even still there; if not, this thread has limited relevance.

Businesses do get pushed out over time by neighborhood resistance, and just by economics... a home builder makes an offer they can't refuse, or the business lags due to the economy, or.... (insert reason here). But, the basic premise still remains. If you are looking at an area and see a land use nearby that is unacceptable to you, don't move there. There are plenty of other choices. Don't "come to the nuisance".

Old 11-03-2016, 05:52 PM

177 posts, read 552,336 times
I still can't believe how much Gilbert is growing, especially near the Mesa Gateway Airport which is loud and near the dairy farms with the horrible cow stench. They are building houses everywhere and all these people are going to move in and have to endure the stench and the noise. Ew! So for anybody reading this if you are plannng on moving to East Gilbert watch out and beware! Those cows stink and the airplanes are loud. Is that the price you want to pay for decent schools and a "safe" place to live?

Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
I still can't believe how much Gilbert is growing, especially near the Mesa Gateway Airport which is loud and near the dairy farms with the horrible cow stench. They are building houses everywhere and all these people are going to move in and have to endure the stench and the noise. Ew! So for anybody reading this if you are plannng on moving to East Gilbert watch out and beware! Those cows stink and the airplanes are loud. Is that the price you want to pay for decent schools and a "safe" place to live?

You had your own thread about the cow smell months ago, and now you resurrect one from last year.

Eventually, the remaining farms will get bought out like all the others did. But again, until then, if people can't see a good-sized airport and a dairy farm when they are looking around a city/town, and not recognize potential issues there, if they buy nearby and are unhappy it's their own fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area