Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM

6 posts, read 17,919 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

This is my first post here.

My wife and I are looking to move (retire) to the Valley, buying in the next year. I was looking at Whispering Heights near Chandler Heights & Lindsay. It's in Chandler, but right on the Gilbert Line.

Anyway, I'm doing my search from a distance before travelling to finalize our decisions. I see on Google Earth that there are two cow farms within 0.75 miles to the east and north-east. I have traveled to the Valley frequently over the last 20 years, so I know the "lay of the land". I remember passing some especially pungent (stinky) cow farms over the years.

The Gilbert General Plan shows these farms as "residential" in the future, but I am more concerned about the present/near future.

Is anyone familiar with this area and any potential smell? Is there a general "stink zone" around these farms? Does anyone know the direction of the prevailing winds in this part of the Valley?

Any input/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 10:52 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,479,401 times
We have friends in the same area. Yes you do get the cow smell and fairly strong at either feeding or milking time, around 6 to 8 am and again in the early evening from around 5 to 7 pm.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:07 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,720,839 times
These are some of the few remaining dairy farms in Gilbert. There is also one in Chandler on the west side of the Chandler airport.

You will get the odor from the farm, and if you're concerned about it for the near future, you may want to consider being a little further from them.

25 years ago, Gilbert was all farm area with a lot more dairy farms. Val Vista Lakes was all farm land, and just across Guadalupe was a dairy farm.

Within the past 7 years several more of the dairy farms were sold and homes built in their place. The remaining farms will probably eventually be sold to developers.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:24 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,236,719 times
Another thing I'd worry about would be bugs. I thoroughly enjoy going to Joe's Farm Grill on East Ray Rd. in Gilbert, but the flying insect problem can really have an impact on enjoyment of your meal. I'm assuming that in addition to the food being taken outdoors, the insects are attracted by Agritopia's natural fertilizer smell, because these aren't just the kind of flies you get in a sidewalk cafe.

If you haven't been to Joe's do go, but a weekday will enable you to enjoy your food without hordes of screaming children knocking it off your table. It's very quiet on weekdays at lunchtime.

And, as everybody says who goes to the Farm Grill, "Don't leave without seeing the restrooms." (No, it doesn't have anything to do with bugs.)

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM

21 posts, read 102,500 times
We lived there and HAD to move. It was horrendous. We could NEVER have the windows open because it was seriously so bad I had a hard time not vomiting. I do not recommend.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,038,536 times
I was at a meeting last night with the Mayor of Gilbert, John Lewis. He asked everyone what their first memory was of when they moved to Gilbert, and why they chose the area. Believe it or not, a couple people actually chose Gilbert because of the farm like smell. It' VERY minimal, to what it was like 25 years ago. To each his own.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 PM

21 posts, read 102,500 times
Depends on where you are in Gilbert. Southeast corner is NOT minimal. It is INCREDIBLY strong.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:18 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,981,982 times
Used to drive back and forth on Chandler Hgts Rd to go to work in Queen Creek. Wow ! Those are some stinky cows !

Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
I'm always fascinated by people who go through the process of looking for and buying a home (which should include passing through and getting familiiar with the surrounding area (including dairy farms) and never apparently consider whether the proximity of dozens or hundreds of cows could be an issue before buying the house and moving in, and THEN complain. There's a legal doctrine called "coming to the nuisance" which applies in situations like this. If you move next to a dairy farm or an airport or a noisy factory, well, look in the mirror for whose fault it is that you are unhappy.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:45 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,720,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Another thing I'd worry about would be bugs. I thoroughly enjoy going to Joe's Farm Grill on East Ray Rd. in Gilbert, but the flying insect problem can really have an impact on enjoyment of your meal. I'm assuming that in addition to the food being taken outdoors, the insects are attracted by Agritopia's natural fertilizer smell, because these aren't just the kind of flies you get in a sidewalk cafe.

If you haven't been to Joe's do go, but a weekday will enable you to enjoy your food without hordes of screaming children knocking it off your table. It's very quiet on weekdays at lunchtime.

And, as everybody says who goes to the Farm Grill, "Don't leave without seeing the restrooms." (No, it doesn't have anything to do with bugs.)
But these flying insects are better because they feed on natural fertilizer grown food. No bothersome pesticides for these insects
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area