Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM

190 posts, read 448,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I may be a bit over the top on a surveillance system, but it's only because of my new next door neighbor. I've lived here going on eight years and would have never installed surveillance.

However, the alarm system was/is a must, the dowels in all doors and windows a must, and a sign in the front yard a must. Of course, I live alone so I have to take these measures. Still, I'd recommend them for anyone. And many do have guns and if I were comfortable with one, I'd for SURE have one too.
I'm sorry about your new neighbor - not pleasant it sounds. Just typing the word gun gives me the creeps. One house I was interested in suddenly went down in price 5k.... then the realtor tells me the new Trane AC unit had been stolen ... I went to the house and sure enough - someone cut right through the metal pipe and 'wha-la' it was gone..... Pretty weird when you aren't used to this kind of thing & as you living alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 06:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,974,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
I'm in No. Scottsdale renting - go for walks at night with no fear - and love my little area.... I'm now shifting my thoughts to perhaps buying in a Condo complex..... for the security that sometimes comes with living in community ~ have to say I'm a little perplexed about the whole thing now. I have a bid on a home with low crime stats locally around that particular street....

I would just get that big old German Shepherd if it weren't so doggone hot around here lol! Poor dog ~ I was hoping at one point to live near the greenbelt in Scottsdale to go for walks etc... but was outbid - that was the house with 18 offers on it!

Honestly if I ever got burglarized or caught illegal activity on my home surveillance unit - I would not want to live there anymore -- maybe I've been sheltered and people now just randomly if not routinely deal with burglars in Phoenix? <--- that's a real question...
Well, when I first moved here I learned it wasn't violent crime I had to worry about, just burglaries and home invasions.

Now I just mostly worry about burglaries and home invasions.

A Smith & Wesson can be your best friend in this town, but know how to use it. With our loose gun laws, your chances of coming across someone armed are high. And be careful driving and don't cut anyone off or flip the bird. Just mind your own business and you'll be fine.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,974,558 times
Quote:
I'm sorry about your new neighbor - not pleasant it sounds. Just typing the word gun gives me the creeps. One house I was interested in suddenly went down in price 5k.... then the realtor tells me the new Trane AC unit had been stolen ... I went to the house and sure enough - someone cut right through the metal pipe and 'wha-la' it was gone..... Pretty weird when you aren't used to this kind of thing & as you living alone.
You are in AZ. You had best adjust to that word and real soon.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:54 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,621,082 times
Right now, Phoenix is the 6th largest city in the US - (Phoenix was the 5th).. and every crime imaginable occurs here (spread out over 475 square miles!).

Many you'll run into on the street and the forums will speak endlessly & authoritatively about "bad areas". But if you step back and do the math yourself, you'll find tens of thousands of people who live without any problems in one "bad area" or another.

"The Square" as it's been described in this post consists of a fairly large amount of real-estate. Do you really believe many/most in that neighborhood live in constant fear for their lives & property, serenaded to sleep by the sounds of gunfire & mayhem?

As for vacant houses being looted - well, yeah, it happens. Personally, the most logical explanation is that the looters know the bank isn't likely to even file a report. When my current home was under contract, someone stole the washer & dryer... apparently they either had a key, or the lockbox code, since there was no forced entry. Of course, instead of the "real" electronic lockbox, the listing agent had installed one of those $15 lockboxes, and it was very likely it had the same code as 100 other REO listings.

When I called the listing agent about the theft, his response was, "so do you still want the property?"... he never even called the police - so how are the looters ever going to get caught, and how are the police supposed to even know there's a problem? A stolen A/C unit doesn't mean the house is in a bad area, it was just easy to steal - it may have even been stolen-to-order if the MLS showed it was a fancy-pants unit.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,017,237 times
have never had a surveillance system, alarms, weapons, German shepherd, or water gun.....and have never been robbed....I walk the streets in no fear, usually lock my doors, keep an eye out, stay aware of my surroundings, sleep well at night, don't worry, say "hi" to my neighbors, and have fun......

if thinking of buying a rental/investment property, you probably should go one step above "The Square".....I drove thru there once or twice, intrigued by the discussion here on the board....was looking for horrible conditions, squalid poverty, the sound of gunfire, cars up on blocks, sofas on the front porch, the whole bit....didn't see any of that, but maybe I missed the juicy areas!.....admittedly, it's not a great spot....lots of rentals, poor neighborhood pride, tired, worn out in spots.....some of this area was developed by John F Long in the 1970s, famous for low-cost housing....wonder if it's becoming the new Maryvale, which Long started in the early 1950s, and is now well-known as the "bad" area of the west valley.....

Old 06-21-2011, 07:21 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,258,058 times
Quote:
Thanks for posting. Seriously now - is that the norm for a safer living experience in Phoenix? Alarm systems, surveillance system and a gun? I'm really glad you explained this - I wondered why every one has home security signs in the yard - well not all houses - but a lot of them.
No, it's not. I've never had any of those things in all the houses I've lived in in the metro area. I've lived alone for the last 10 years, not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, I may be a bit over the top on a surveillance system, but it's only because of my new next door neighbor. I've lived here going on eight years and would have never installed surveillance.

However, the alarm system was/is a must, the dowels in all doors and windows a must, and a sign in the front yard a must. Of course, I live alone so I have to take these measures. Still, I'd recommend them for anyone. And many do have guns and if I were comfortable with one, I'd for SURE have one too.
What's a must for you is not a must for everyone. And I live alone too. Gun? Never even considered it.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:49 AM

6,402 posts, read 8,938,173 times
The odds of being in danger yourself is likely going to be slim so long as you stay out of trouble. I know people (white people) that live in a gang infested neighborhood in Chicago and they have no problems because they don't partake in illegal activities and no one bothers them. I bring this up because Phoenix entire is like Gilbert compared to Chicago.

It's always smart to keep your eyes open and to be vigilant but that is the case everywhere. White middle class paranoia seems big here in Phoenix (the same as most major metro areas). I know someone that lives just east of that area (off of 20th St) and I've had no issues visiting the area.

Old 06-21-2011, 12:25 PM

159 posts, read 395,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
If thinking of buying a rental/investment property, you probably should go one step above "The Square".....I drove thru there once or twice, intrigued by the discussion here on the board....was looking for horrible conditions, squalid poverty, the sound of gunfire, cars up on blocks, sofas on the front porch, the whole bit....didn't see any of that, but maybe I missed the juicy areas!.....admittedly, it's not a great spot....lots of rentals, poor neighborhood pride, tired, worn out in spots.....some of this area was developed by John F Long in the 1970s, famous for low-cost housing....wonder if it's becoming the new Maryvale, which Long started in the early 1950s, and is now well-known as the "bad" area of the west valley.....
While not as bad as Maryvale, Greenway square has always been a lot worst than the immediate surrounding area and likely always will. You usually get what you pay for. A few more $$ can get a much nicer location just outside (north of Bell or West of Cave Creek) the Square. North or east tends to run quite a bit more $$

Last edited by observer53; 06-21-2011 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: fixed formatting of quote to show attribution

Old 06-21-2011, 08:05 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,486,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The odds of being in danger yourself is likely going to be slim so long as you stay out of trouble. I know people (white people) that live in a gang infested neighborhood in Chicago and they have no problems because they don't partake in illegal activities and no one bothers them. I bring this up because Phoenix entire is like Gilbert compared to Chicago.

It's always smart to keep your eyes open and to be vigilant but that is the case everywhere. White middle class paranoia seems big here in Phoenix (the same as most major metro areas). I know someone that lives just east of that area (off of 20th St) and I've had no issues visiting the area.
True that.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,504,099 times
Quote:
Ithen the realtor tells me the new Trane AC unit had been stolen ... I went to the house and sure enough - someone cut right through the metal pipe and 'wha-la' it was gone..... Pretty weird when you aren't used to this kind of thing & as you living alone.
Don't let that alone scare you. With the economy the way it is, AC theft is now a common thing all across the country, even in the safest areas. People steal them for the copper. They can get a good amount of money for copper. I live in a rural area where there is very little crime (like mistygrl I only installed a surveillance system because of my psycho neighbor), and even here AC units get stolen. Even in a very exclusive super rich neighborhood a few miles from here, where there has never been any other kind of theft or crime, AC units get stolen. Doesn't matter if the house is occupied or vacant. If they can easily steal an AC, they will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area