U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,515,451 times
Reputation: 693
The only reason I was looking for newer homes is I figured they'd be more insulated against heat than older homes. I wouldn't mind an older home on a larger lot. I was just worried about higher electric bills in older homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-23-2011, 09:38 AM
 
Location: South Tempe, AZ
13,781 posts, read 16,252,434 times
Reputation: 6093
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
The only reason I was looking for newer homes is I figured they'd be more insulated against heat than older homes. I wouldn't mind an older home on a larger lot. I was just worried about higher electric bills in older homes.
Not necessarily. Those older block homes, if there's decent insulation in the attic and a good seal on the doors and windows, are well insulated. Higher electric bills, not necessarily, if the AC unit is relatively new and, again, the house is well insulated and airtight.
__________________
Terms of Service / FAQ /Information for Realtors
Moderator for Arizona and Nevada forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,515,451 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Not necessarily. Those older block homes, if there's decent insulation in the attic and a good seal on the doors and windows, are well insulated. Higher electric bills, not necessarily, if the AC unit is relatively new and, again, the house is well insulated and airtight.
Thanks. Are you talking about those block homes where the block can be seen on the inside? I think they call them "masonry" homes. I don't like look of those at all on the inside. Or are you talking about block homes that look normal on the inside, with regular drywall walls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Phoenix AZ
2,960 posts, read 3,598,712 times
Reputation: 3199
you can add attic insulation very inexpensively - I had 10" (R30) added over the house and the garage (about 2000 sq feet) for about $800 - Double pane windows are only a couple hundred bucks each and the labor to install them has never been cheaper if you're willing to haggle a bit...

you can't add square footage to your lot unless you want to buy the house next door & bulldoze it... which might actually be an option in some areas of town...

As for the look of block homes, most have drywall inside -so the interior looks the same as any other... You can stucco the outside of a block home & make it look like a brand-new one as well. There are lots of neighborhoods here with block homes that have the front stuccoed & they look great. The "block" used in the valley isn't usually "cinder blocks" like are used back east, it's called a "slump-block" that has a longer & thinner block with a chiseled face. They look good with just a coat of paint.

If you don't mind remodeling, you can often find those older homes with lots of 12-15k sq feet - closer to the center of town, for not much cash. In my area, there are even a few that occasionally pop with an acre for under $100k (but they're usually pretty tired inside).

Last edited by Zippyman; 06-23-2011 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:48 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,515,451 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
As for the look of block homes, most have drywall inside -so the interior looks the same as any other... You can stucco the outside of a block home & make it look like a brand-new one as well. There are lots of neighborhoods here with block homes that have the front stuccoed & they look great. The "block" used in the valley isn't usually "cinder blocks" like are used back east, it's called a "slump-block" that has a longer & thinner block with a chiseled face. They look good with just a coat of paint.
Well that answered another question... I had wondered if slump block was the cinder block that we use here in TN. Thanks. It would be great to find one with the stucco on the outside and drywall inside. I love the look of stucco. I'm probably one of the few people who actually like the cookie-cutter style of homes in Arizona. So far a lot of the homes I'm seeing that are described as "block" or "masonry" have painted block on the inside. I still have a few months to go before I move, so I'll keep my eyes open for block with normal insides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Gilbert - Val Vista Lakes
6,066 posts, read 7,950,950 times
Reputation: 3656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Well that answered another question... I had wondered if slump block was the cinder block that we use here in TN. Thanks. It would be great to find one with the stucco on the outside and drywall inside. I love the look of stucco. I'm probably one of the few people who actually like the cookie-cutter style of homes in Arizona. So far a lot of the homes I'm seeing that are described as "block" or "masonry" have painted block on the inside. I still have a few months to go before I move, so I'll keep my eyes open for block with normal insides.
Most of the block homes here are older homes, and you'll find them with drywall inside walls, single pane windows and shingle roofs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:03 AM
 
968 posts, read 1,515,451 times
Reputation: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Most of the block homes here are older homes, and you'll find them with drywall inside walls, single pane windows and shingle roofs.
Thanks, Bill. If I buy one of those, do you recommend replacing the shingle roof with a tile roof, along with replacing the single pane windows, or is tile not more energy efficient than shingle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Gilbert - Val Vista Lakes
6,066 posts, read 7,950,950 times
Reputation: 3656
The single pane windows should be replaced with dual pane low E. They're rather easy on the block homes.

The roof structure may not support a tile roof. So you would need to check with a roofing contractor on that.

I understand there are some longer lasting shingle roofs now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM
 
968 posts, read 1,515,451 times
Reputation: 693
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-23-2011, 01:14 PM
 
46 posts, read 88,532 times
Reputation: 24
I definitely fall into the category of someone who has those hillbilly River Rat motorcycle riding, partying, drug dealing, domestic violence bad neighbors. I am completely surrounded by them on all sides, they are all renters and that's something you can check out before renting or buying on the Maricopa assessor's website. You can see who the renters are and then ring their doorbell and try to talk to them.

We've had not one but two bands on two separate occasions in a nearby rental, another rental with an electric guitar - playing with all windows and doors shut, one guy I didn't even have to set my alarm since he rode up and down the street with his motorcycle (presumably warming it up) at 5am. I could tell you the days he'd be home late, since he was 12 minutes late for work.

Then we just have the standard annoying loud parties and on weeknights until 3am. Drunken neighbors throwing their empty beer bottles into my neighbor's yard during the night. Prowling around people's backyards causing a few of us to install security systems.

We've had SWAT team raids at 8am when my neighbor 8 doors down was walking out front to take her son to school. Scared the beegeebies out of them.

The HOA and city of Phoenix will do nothing. I've been told by the HOA it is the police department's jurisdiction and they say they do drive out and hear nothing. Uh, yah.

They don't even have to be loud to be annoying. We have neighbor kids who will point a red laser pointer thingie into our house. Kids just "hang out" on the sidewalk in front of our house at night. That's a little unnerving. I've called the police on teenagers walking down our street pointing some type of rifle at house windows in broad daylight. The smell of marijuana was at one time smelled half way down our street when particular tenants lived there.

I could go on and on...

And I live in a highly desirable "family" area, upper income (needless to say, looking to move).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top