Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

8 posts, read 12,700 times

Advertisements

Myself my husband and our 3 children are looking to move with in a few months from Kentucky to the Phoenix area. I have done my homework on cost of living in the area. What I can't seem to nail down is a good neighborhood. I have looked a great deal at san tan valley and queen creek. I'm looking 4 A place where Good neighbors Good schools And activities for the children. can anyonewho is living in these areas please help. I have never live in a city or near one. I look forward to New opportunities but would love to be somewhere with a sense of community. thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM
M74

46 posts, read 115,011 times
Default About Queen Creek area

The Queen Creek and San tan area are all relatively "newer" areas. They were also hit pretty hard when the economy tanked. You should be able to find some good deals if you are buying. The area is very clean and the San Tan area has some pretty good shopping.

As far as a "sense" of community goes... There isn't really a "built in" sense of community in the valley as a whole. You have to work at at. Especially in the summer. You have to be proactive when it comes to meeting your neighbors. People kinda just do their own thing. Summer's here are spent inside or in the pool. Or you live like a desert Tortoise and rock through the early morning hours and hide away the rest of the day.

The play date thing for the kids is big here. I find it irritating, but a lot of people seem to like it or have just succumbed to the "that's just what you do." But that's not to say you won't find pockets of neighborhoods with kids playing outside. My neighborhood in Chandler does. Sometimes. Buy it's usually my kids dragging the other kids out. It's weird, I grew up here and in Colorado and Oregon. Az was always a big adjustment when we came back.

Do yourself and your family a favor and read as much as you can about living in a desert climate. Especially adhere to the "drink a lot of water" thing. No matter what you think; you do not drink enough. I've seen and saved to many people out and about who are new here who drop from dehydration or heat stroke. I'm a personal trainer and finishing up a degree in Emergency First Response. The calls for heat related issues are abundant.

It's exciting, fun and scary moving to a new, unknown place. The areas you are picking are nice areas. You'll enjoy the area. The schools are relatively new so the info is still coming in. Arizona schools are hit and miss. As long as you are proactive with your children's education they'll be fine.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have. I do my best to be non biased with my answers. ALL places have positives and negatives and I'll never be the one to crush someone's vision.

Welcome to AZ!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,255 times
For a family of 5 such as yours - Queen Creek is a good choice.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,326,850 times
Having children I would be looking at the school districts. Queen Creek, Mesa, Gilbert, Higley and Apache Junction are places I would want to avoid. It is mormon dominated and clickish. Now if u mormon that may not be a bad thing but if are not u will find it different.... [mod cut-- off topic. OP is askiing about QC. Let's at least stick to the east Valley] Tempe is my favorite city to live in because of its diversity. Good luck

Last edited by observer53; 06-24-2011 at 07:37 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Apache Junction Mormon dominated? Cliquish? No. As far as the other areas, don't paint with such a broad brush. The actual percentage of the population that is reported as LDS in Gilbert, for instance, is much lower than the stereotype. I wonder if you've ever lived in any of those places. The people I know in Queen Creek are not LDS. The average person who is just looking for a nice place to live is not likely to be affected in any negative way by whether their neighbors are LDS or not. I'm a Tempe fan too, but I don't use such a broad brush to describe those other places.

Last edited by observer53; 06-24-2011 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-24-2011, 07:40 AM

39 posts, read 72,616 times
I just purchased a home in San Tan Valley (Copper Basin) and found this development to be clean and, for the most part, the homes are well taken care of. Having access to the YMCA pool is a nice perk.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:57 AM

I would like to thank you all very much for your input. Border Scot I have looked at the YMCA in the area and it is beautiful I'm sure we will enjoy being that close. As for the LDS they better be prepared for a "good ole" Southern baptist. All jokes aside I have my faith they can have theirs, as long as they are not pushy that should not be a problem." Schools clickish" This is where I hope I have raised my children right. I have taught them that everyone deseves the same respect regardles. I pray they are strong enough to stand the pressure. Being from a town with a population of 1,700 people they are in for a lot of changes. I have a very close open relationship with the kids and feel safe they will come to us with any problem.
I guess as for my sense of community goes I'll work on that. I am a very out going person so BBQ at my house LOL. As long as people don't start running scared from the crazy lady that talks funny I'll pull the turtle outa the shell LOL. M74 thanks for the advice. my husband was raised in Las Vegas and is use to the desert, myself on the other hand well this is a whole new ball game for me and I need all the advice I can get . It is very exciting and scary at the same time moving a country mouse into the city. I do look forward to showing the children some culture. The Opera and museum for example. So I guess it's here we come AZ,and thank you all so much for your help once again.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:32 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper321 View Post
It is very exciting and scary at the same time moving a country mouse into the city. I do look forward to showing the children some culture. The Opera and museum for example. So I guess it's here we come AZ,and thank you all so much for your help once again.
One close place I'd suggest you check out is the San Tan Regional Park. When it's not too hot, there are nice hiking trails. The ranger's also have several events; Scorpion Scavenger Hunt, Full Moon Hike, etc. that are very educational and will help you learn about living in the desert. You can purchase a yearly pass for $75.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:58 AM

475 posts, read 814,705 times
When I purchased in April my realtor sent me literally a 1000 listings for the San Tan Valley/Queen Creek. The shear number of homes for sale in that neighborhood turned me off. Seems like everyone is trying to GET OUT OF THERE!!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:25 PM

Az Tracy thanks I'll have to check into that. My ten year old daughter is an avid frog hunter now and loves the out doors that was one of my worries. Scorpion Scavenger Hunt sounds right up her alley although I'm sure the boys ages 16 and 17 will be just fine inside with air and comnputers.
Stokes172 I had thought the same but everything I could find on the area seemed to tell me goood goood good thus my reason for asking here. my husband has looked more at the avondale area so the choice is not set in stone yet. We do plan to rent at first just to make sure we are where we want to stay. Queen Creek is where my heart is kinda set on now and we all know" if momma ain't happy" . No I am willing to look at avondale but it better have some good things to offer lol thanks again for any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area