Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 PM

190 posts, read 449,584 times

Advertisements

Hi all ~

Wow my getting infamous home search is taking me all over .... and everytime I think there's nothing more for me to look at - My realtor brings me to yet another unexplored area.......& boy is it hot outside to look at places

Today was Deer Valley - My location concerns only being reasonable distance to Mayo Clinic - either location for periodic appointments.... the reason for my relocation from the west coast...

I read all the posts I could find on a search here - but none seemed all that recent --- I came away thinking "average area - a wee bit out of the way - not notorious for crime and dastardly deeds comparatively - and Scottsdale, Kierland etc... aren't going anywhere soon for upscale shopping near the holidays"

I found a park, a huge business complex, a Catholic church and a few other churches - some average homes....an airport --- a bit of a non-descript area...

In your goodness could you provide any updates or insights - I can't find much not to like here - as in most of Phoenix/Scottsdale -- but then again I'm new in town!

As always - many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 09:49 PM

19 posts, read 67,022 times
My advice is that if your Realtor is taking you to all of these new areas, it is time to fire him or her. A decent Realtor that knows their job listens to your needs and helps you find the community that is right for you. He does not drag you around in the summer heat hoping that you find something that you like.

Depending on your budget, I would definitely recommend finding something in the Scottsdale area. You will like it there with its great proximity to a lot.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
just so I understand, are you looking for a place to buy just to go to periodic appointments at Mayo's?....or do you want to live here year round and sell the west coast place?....Moon Valley is a well-respected area near Deer Valley if you want to look there....I don't remember all your other posts, but are you looking for a SFR, a townhouse...or what?.....

lots and lots of choices here.....

Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 AM

190 posts, read 449,584 times
Hi -- and thanks for writing.....

I moved here last Oct - to be close to the Mayo Clinic. I rent over by the Scottsdale Mayo. I'm a full time resident now - belongings all here in my rental just off Shea ~ experiencing my first summer :-)

I wrongly surmised my search for a house would be easy - 3/2, pool, garage - add a fireplace or any other nice amenity - and I'm in! (Make that with the stipulation of costing under 140K that is).

I've lost 4 deals because of highly competitive bidding, cash trumping conventional loan - this kind of thing.

I did contracts on 2 props in FH, one in central to south Scottsdale & am waiting to hear on a short sale I contracted a couple weeks ago...

I love Scottsdale and the search began here - then shifted over to FH - I even spent a week up in Payson looking. Then back down to explore other areas around here in Phoenix - Mountaingate, Desert Ridge and on my own have driven everywhere to get a feel for Phoenix as a whole and Scottsdale - looking at horse properties, fixer uppers, widening my search and my mind to just get in a place...The forum has been such a huge help too... I don't feel I'm being too picky - every area has it's charm and unique plus's with few minus's in my book --- it's just a great place to choose to live imho...(greater Phoenix area)

My realtor I found out has only lived here a year, done realty here 6 mos. It may be the blind leading the blind - but we get along - he knows what I need - we've looked at dozens of homes & ended up in Deer Valley yesterday....I give him the huge benefit of the doubt - as he's accompanied me on my house lists that I drum up on my own as well...

Maybe I do need a new realty agent - but I signed a paper - he's likeable - don't feel up to 'firing' him ---- He never claimed to be the area's expert - I think he's doing the best he can and maybe I'm helping him to learn as we explore these areas....I know I feel ready to get to realtor school - that's how much I learn each week...amazing....plus you folks here help me to learn as well.

So I find the Deer Valley area is a bit of a stretch to get anywhere - so what i might save in HOA fees I'll be spending in gas - it feels kind of 'out there' - in terms of proximity to what I feel to be 'home'..... But there also seems to be a larger than usual share of 'affordable' homes up in there - as as often you get what you pay for - was curious what's going on up there --- too much crime? Too what? That's what I'm trying to learn....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area