Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:41 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,646,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
To all these people who alledgedly enjoy the intense summer heat, a challenge to you: today will be 116. Open up the windows and "enjoy" yourselves and stand by your claim as long as you can. Don't drive today; walk, take a bike or wait for the bus instead. Then tell me 116 is nice lol. Also, today there is an Excessive Heat Warning, issued by the Nat'l Weather Service in PHX, so don't be fooled by some of these posts. The heat here not only IS uncomfortable at this level, it is downright dangerous.

I think this thread needs some balance as well. The heat might be a nice change for some and people definantly prefer it to mild or cool weather, but anyway you cut it, above 100 IS hot. If it wasn't, people wouldn't have swamp coolers, ACs, fans, etc. Stores would be open air, energy bills would be low. It is a different type of heat being dry, but it is all hot nonetheless. I suppose if you are here just visiting or chilling out, it isn't a big issue, but when you have to be out and about, day in and out, it is taxing. Tolerating heat is one thing, enjoying it is another. Some people beat it by the pool, in the shade with a cold one...but most of us put up with for several months of the year and certainly do not relish it. Also, take a shower around 7 PM tonight and you will discover that the water will come out hot, even on the cold setting. How fun!!!

If you think having the air temp higher than your body temp is comfy...you might want to question your own biological and anatomical response. You are not cold blooded. Acting like extreme heat is oh so blasé is down right dangerous, especially to newbies who aren't used to it. I guess it's all so magical, but don't leave common sense behind just because you left your old state behind.

I get that PHX or the desert are exciting to people from totally different areas at first...but the supposed heat lovers get a tiny dose of what they like and then head into the AC for the vast majority of the day and night. If you are planning on moving here, come at this time of the year to get a real taste of it. Humidity is supposed to spike up this weekend too...so remember, the OP's impressions are the honeymoon phase.
Gee, are we having a bad day Skippy? You proceed under a false assumption. First of all, I'm telling what my perceptions are, not facts. Is it hot? You betcha. My point is that it isn't as unbearable as you state. At least not to me. Perhaps it will be to the the next guy but to me, it just isn't as bad as I was led to believe after 3 years of reading this forum.
Many on this forum such as yourself would lead people to believe that this place is hell on earth, meth labs, drug houses, everyone getting kidnapped, home invasions, murders, wife beaters, child abusers, etc. The reality is that this area is and will continue to be the mecca for many such as myself. I felt the same way about Oregon 23 years ago but that wore off but not strictly because of all the rain. My kids are grown. My daughter turned 18 a month ago, graduated high school 2 days later and she decided she wanted to stay in Oregon to go to college. My wife passed away in 2008 at the age of 42 so I was looking at the prospect of living alone on 6 acres in the middle of nowhere and that didn't sit well with me. I did my research, I came here several times just to check out different areas, I talked to a gozillion people here and I always asked the same question. How do you like living in the Phoenix area? I bet I've asked that question to well over 500 people in all walks of life over the last 3 years. Professionals, gas station attendants, the guy asking for money on the corner, real estate people, food servers, etc. This is the weird part. All of them, and I mean ALL OF THEM with the exception of one woman, ALL OF THEM said the same thing almost verbatum. "it's too darn hot here in the summer but other than that, I like it here." That says something to me.
I find it funny that with so many people that live here, so many that like it here, that it's funny to me that a very high percentage on this forum try so much to discourage people from living here.
Is my opinion slightly tainted? Probably. I'm sure the heat will bother me to some degree at some point but this thread is about what my perceptions are for a new person in town looking to start a new life.
The sky isn't falling, the sun will come up in the morning and the stars will likely twinkle tomorrow night.
Sorry about the rant but with all the negativity on this forum, I just wanted to say that I've been here for 2 weeks as of tomorrow. I went from the wet, windy cold weather of Oregon directly to the so called "furnace" that so many on this forum shout about. 118 today according to the weather guy on TV. My thermometer on the porch said 120 at one point earlier today. If that's the worst that the desert has to throw at me, then I'll be fine. I may complain in the future but in comparison, there is no comparison to the change in lifestyle.
Every place has it's extremes in weather. It's how you deal with them that makes you happy or miserable. I choose to be happy. It sounds like you "choose" to be miserable.
You know what I did today to beat the heat? I took my 83 year old mother to Walmart to go shopping. My girlfriend decided to come along and we had an absolutely wonderful time helping my mother shop. You wouldn't think that a good time could be had just shopping but again, it's what YOU make of things. We truly had a wonderful time, I got to spend some great moments with dear old mom and we got something accomplished at the same time.
There are plenty of things you can do to beat the heat. That's one of the many things I like about this place. When there is an extreme of weather, I can take a dip in the pool, I can go to an air conditioned store, I can take a beautiful drive in an air conditioned car or I can do nothing at all. Just sit back with a cold one on the porch. If you let the extremes of this weather get the best of you then perhaps this isn't the place for you.
Keep you chin up Skippy, perhaps you too, one day can be happy. If not, there are plenty of other threads in which to lodge your complaints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
Great post! We just bought a winter residence in PV. We'll be flying in and out this summer to have a few projects done. Since I'm also pasty and white (MN!), I appreciate your opinions and feel your enthusiasm. I'm not as worried now that I'll dry up and wither away upon walking out the airport door.

I think every place has it's bad and good and you can learn a lot on these posts but you can also get swayed by all the negative and start doubting yourself. When I moved to MN from Chicago, I heard such terrible stories about how I would risk life and limb to make it thru my first winter. Apparently, these folks had never had to walk to the elevated train during a brutal wet snow storm with freezing gale wind off the lake that practically knocked you down or ride that same train in 90 degree heat and 100 percent humidity with no AC and hot sticky bodies bumping into you. All in all, you just adapt and get on with life. The grass may be greener somewhere else, but you can always find something you don't like about it after a while.

Good luck and keep posting!
Thank you. I am confident you'll enjoy it here.
My opinions are just that, opinions but I did my research and it paid off. I didn't listen to the complainers anywhere near as much as the good stuff. If I had listened to the haters, I would have looked elsewhere.
Right now it's about 11:30 pm and it's 98 degrees on my porch and I know it sounds crazy, but it is almost perfect. It's hard to explain to people that, yes it's warm but it's awesomely comfortable. 98 degrees in Oregon is a nightmare. Hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. Not so here.
I hope you enjoy it even just half as much as I do so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnetonkamari View Post
I also want to add that high heat with or without humidity is indeed dangerous and sadly, people die from it. I think most folks on here are well aware of that and are not advocating being foolish and naive about exposure to high temps. When I lived in Chicago there were deaths of elderly and indigent folks in the news every summer and you have them occur here in MN as well. Exposure to sever temps is a serious matter, be they freezing or high heat.

The opinions on the heat from OP and others are in regards to typical day to day life assuming the advantages of AC and common sense.

I'm sure there are some who cannot adapt no matter how hard they try and find that AZ is just NOT for them. Just as MN is not for everyone with all the cold and snow or OR is not for some with the constant damp. If you really dislike a place you make plans and you go somewhere you think will have a better balance for you.
You are absolutely correct. A typical day to day life assuming the modern advantages and again, I had a very good idea of what to expect. I expected the heat to really get to me being that it was so extreme the last week or so. Happily, it was far easier to deal with than I had expected.

Quote:
Not on point? Not sure what you mean by that.

Regardless, it is a diservice to advertise intense heat as "not that bad" because then people mistakenly believe it is just like summer weather anywhere else "hot" and it isn't.

I think my post added some more grounded observations and presented the issue in a way, highlighting some aspects that get sugar coated. I brought up issues people need to understand before relocating here without being familair with this type of climate otherwise they get here and complain and are unhappy, so I think a balanced post with views from both sides is actually more helpful to prospective residents reading this thread.
There are so many posts about the heat that are so overblown as to be useless if you ask me.
Phoenix. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to understand that it's hot in the desert. With that knowledge, most intelligent people make a choice early on to do more research to see if an area might be to their liking or not.
Us newcomers are not stupid. We already know it's hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
This was NOT started as one of the "I hate Phoenix" threads that are all over this forum. If you want to whine about the heat or anything else you totally disagree with in the OP's impressions, you are welcome to go post somewhere on one of those. The OP clearly said these were his impressions after 10 days. Might they change? Sure. But the complaining posts like those that are all over those other threads, including heat complaints, are off topic on this thread. Plenty of other places to take them. Keep this thread on track, or it will be closed, and those who have a different agenda can go work on those other threads.
Exactly right. My perceptions and opinions based on my personal experiences. Others might say otherwise but for me, so far I'm very impressed with things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOBOY110 View Post
We're another soon to be Oregon transplant. Actually, we left Phoenix in 1975 and headed to Oregon where we raised four kids in the Portland area, and enjoyed it very much. In our late fifties now, we find that the long wet winters see to be getting longer and wetter. (We're FINALLY seeing some sunny days in the 80's, but prior to this week it's been cloudy and 60's every day for the past seven months. Yuuck!

Though we've been in Oregon for 30 plus years, we have fond memories of Arizona, and are anxious to spend more time there. Just purchased a home in Waddell at a great price and looking forward to our move. Maverick, I thought your comments were spot on! To each his own, but for us, Arizona has an awful lot to offer with few downsides that we can live with!
Thank TWOBOY110.
Yeah, the wet winters finally did me in so I moved on. I'm so glad I did.
I lived on the central coast in Oregon so it's even wetter there. My little town averaged 119 inches of rain per year. It sucked HUGE. lol.
It's been two weeks for me and my girlfriend here and even though we have experienced record breaking heat the last few days (118 today at Sky Harbor Airport) it wasn't as bad as you might think. A few weeks ago, if someone had told me that 118 wasn't so bad, I'd have thought they needed a to be placed in a padded room for a while. With all the modern convieniences, this heat is very tolerable. I wouldn't want to work in it for 8 hours a day but other than that, I'm good with it.
Honestly, it's the nights and mornings that make up for it. Warm, dry and great times sitting on the porch enjoying the company of others. I couldn't do that in Oregon. Too cold, too wet and too windy.
Anyway, I hope all goes well with your move and you should post your experiences once you get here, either as an extension to this post or start a new one. Either way, I'd be intersted to see how our opinions compare.
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 01:16 AM

854 posts, read 1,704,145 times
Earlier in this thread someone posted that the hot summers last 4-5 months. Is that accurate? If not, from when to when, roughly? Thanks.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:22 AM

Location: Looks like I'm getting out "Valley On The Sun" Arizona
190 posts, read 415,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
For those folks that are thinking of moving here, I have made some observations that I'd like to share. Keep in mind that these are just things that I personally have noticed. Nothing scientific. Just my personal observations.
Also, for frame of reference, I just move from the Oregon Coast. I've lived in Oregon since 1988. It was generally cold, very humid, the town I lived in averaged 119 inches of rain per year and we generally don't see temps above 50 during the winter and much more than about 65 during summers.
I didn't plan to move here at the start of summer but I couldn't dictate when my house sold. I got here Sunday (6-19-2011).

1.) It really is a dry heat.
It's true. I have driven around in a car that has no A/C in 110 degree heat and it wasn't that bad at all. I wouldn't want to run a marathon in it but it was very tolerable. I'm staying at my brothers place in east Mesa until I can find a house and a few days ago his swamp cooler went on the fritz so I got on the roof to repair it when it was 113 degrees. I was up there in the direct sun for maybe 45 minutes and it was very tolerable. I was fine.
On the rare occasions that it would hit 90 in Oregon with all the humidity, you would feel like it was hell on earth. Here, 90 is awesome. Add in a pool and it's a little slice of heaven.
With A/C everywhere and also in your vehicle, you'll have no problem with the heat if you remember what made you so miserable back in your home state.

2.) The roads are not only in spectacular shape, they are HUGE except in the new developments. At least in the east valley. Very well thought out if you ask me. Almost every major road is 3 lanes on each side. So large in fact that at many intersections, there are two stoplights because the road is divided. 3 lanes on each side. One stoplight in the middle and one on the far side. Kind of hard to explain but you'll see what I mean.
The freeways are also excellent. 5 and 6 lanes each way, 65 mph in most cases and little to no graffiti at all. I'm impressed.

3.) Mesa has no street lights on residential streets. At least not where I've seen.
I don't know if that's good or bad.

4.) NO BUGS!!!!
Really!!! There are no bugs here. I can have the porch light on and there are no flies, nats, and few if any moths. If I left my porch light on in Oregon, you almost can't enter the house they are so thick.

5.) 78 degrees is almost cold.
Weird to say but I woke up this morning and it was 78 outside and I got goose bumps. Granted it didn't last long but 80 or 90 here is awesomely comfortable. Even 100 is very doable sitting on your porch or doing stuff outside.

6.) Swamp coolers are great but I haven't experienced the monsoon season yet. I hear a swamp cooler doesn't work well when the humidity gets above about 30% or so but when the humidity is low, it keeps my brothers place a full 30 degrees cooler than the outside temp. As I write this, it's 114 outside and the interior of this place is a very comfortable 85 degrees.

7.) The drivers aren't anywhere near as bad as other places I've been.
I've been driving around the east valley for 10 days now and it appears the drivers aren't any worse than other places I've been. Perhaps I've been lucky so far. The worst I've experienced is a guy driving a pickup far too slow on a two lane road with no passing and a few people wouldn't let me in a lane but that's typical anywhere.

8.) The desert isn't the barren wasteland many on this forum make it out to be.
Not a wasteland at all. I've got a beautiful view of the Superstition mountains, lots of wildlife around as well.

9.) Sunblocker is my friend.
I went to the pool the first day I was here. Being just a pastey white guy and living in Oregon for so long, you can imagine how pale I am. I was at the pool for about 20 minutes the first day. First thing I bought the 2nd day before going to the pool was sunblock.

10.) Fruit and veggies are much cheaper here in most cases. Much fresher and sweeter as well.
Watermelon 19 cents per pound
Cantelope 3 for a dollar
Strawberries 3 baskets for a buck
whole Pineapples 99 cents each.
In Oregon that stuff is at least 3 times as much. Strawberries on sale were 2 baskets for $5.00 and cantelope was $2.99 a pound. A single cantelope would cost you 4 bucks.

11.) There are dollar stores EVERYWHERE.

12.) I don't sweat here.
The humidity so far is so low that you don't sweat even when it's sizzling outside. I don't sweat except for the bottoms of my feet. why is that?
Drink LOTS of water.

13.) There is almost no grass here. Green trees? Yes, but no grass.
At least not much in the Mesa area.

14.) There is free TV here. lol.
REALLY..... I can hook up old fashioned rabbit ears and get quite a good selection. I was paying $70.00 a month for sat tv in Oregon and it sucked huge. I get better quality shows on the channels I get for free.

15.) Where did all the palm trees come from?
Just curious.

16.) Who was Jacob Waltz?
Find out. Google him. Interesting story.

17.) The Superstition mountains are incredibly beautiful and I can't figure out why they are so inspiring......

18.) Swap meets are cool....

19.) [great list otherwise, but consumer complaints are not allowed on the forums]
20.) Cactus are really neat.
I never knew there we so many varieties. There are a gozzillion different kinds.

21.) Housing prices are incredibly low right now.
That's a great thing for me at least. I'm hoping to buy something cash and I've seen some incredible buys.
I'm not rich by any definition but I have tons of choices in the sub 100K range. I'm pretty happy about that.

22.) Real mexican food.
Enough said.

22.) As far as I can tell at this point, the RE agents I've met so far are either not the brightest bulb on the tree or lazy.
Is there one RE agent that has not only the ability to take my money but has the willingness to actually earn their commision? I've not found it so far. Why is that? Could it be that the commisions on a sub 100K house just isn't worth their time or maybe I'm just too picky?
Frustrating.
( present company excluded Capt. Bill) I should have contacted you first.

23.) You can't have enough flip flops.

24.) Get a good pair of sunglasses. You'll never regret it.

25.) You'll get cold for just a minute when you get out of the pool even if the temp is 110. Too wierd.

26.) You don't need a clothes dryer here. You might want one but you don't need one. Hand something outside for about 10 minutes and it's dry as a bone.

27.) 70 is cold here.
I left the cooler on last night and when I woke up this morning it was 70 inside the house. It was freezing my butt off. Really cold. I had to step outside to warm up. Go figure......
28.) The sunrises and sunsets are inspiring.

29.) You can't have enough ice.

30.) I don't drink much coffee here.
I drank coffee all day long in Oregon. A couple of cups in the morning and it's icewater the rest of the day here in Az.

31.) Overall, people are really nice here.
Reading on these forums would lead you to believe there are horrible drivers and just plain mean people here. I haven't found that to be the case at all.

32.) To the guy selling tamales in the Safeway parking lot that says he is homeless and needs the money? You might try selling them from something other than your CADILLAC ESCALADE.

33.) Note to self.
Oh, sorry. It's a private note.

These are but a few of the many wonderous things I've noticed since I've been here. I'll update this as things come up.
The wonders of the honeymoon period.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Earlier in this thread someone posted that the hot summers last 4-5 months. Is that accurate? If not, from when to when, roughly? Thanks.
Can we see temps in the 90's in April and/or October? Sure. Every year, every day? No, not close. (and I'm not pulling out weather statistics in saying this ). I've seen 100's in October VERY occasionally. As you'll learn from reading here, people's perceptions and opinions on this issue vary widely; tolerance for the heat is an individual thing. Back to topic.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:56 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Quote:
It really depends on how you define hot. Some people think it's hot above 90 and others above 100 or 105.

Personally, I think the hot period is generally between mid June to mid September. Hot to me is when it no longer cools off in the evening. Even if it gets to 102 or 103 for the high in early June, thats at 3pm and by 7pm it's down to the high low 90s/high 80s and is really nice. The worst is like now where it's still 103 at 10pm and the sidewalks radiate heat upward, it sucks.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Back to topic please. General weather questions/discussion can go to the "here comes the heat" thread.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:11 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
I am from the metro-Atlanta area and I enjoyed my visit to Phoenix. One of things I enjoyed most was how the weather was great for my sinus condition. During my entire visit I didn't have to take any medication and never experienced any headaches. That alone is worth a future visit :-)

Old 07-03-2011, 06:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Maverick, today is day 2 of your test of heat. Yesterday was about as hot and dry as you are ever going to have here and today will be your first taste of hot and humid. Monsoon blew in overnight with a vengeance. From now until just after Labor Day the weather will be about what it is today (maybe a few degrees less). This is the time I hate - except for the occasional storms that make it interesting. If you can take the heat of today with only reasonable complaining, you can make it here.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:

Hot for me is from June through late September--4 months. Sometimes mid-May can be 100's, but last few one's have been comfortable. Last few Sept/Oct.'s have been unusually hot. But usually, sometime in mid to late September, mornings and evenings become a tad more comfortable. But roughly 4 months, sometimes 4 1/2 months. People make it an olympic sport out here discussing the heat!

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,517,717 times
Quote:
To all these people who alledgedly enjoy the intense summer heat, a challenge to you: today will be 116. Open up the windows and "enjoy" yourselves and stand by your claim as long as you can. Don't drive today; walk, take a bike or wait for the bus instead. Then tell me 116 is nice lol. Also, today there is an Excessive Heat Warning, issued by the Nat'l Weather Service in PHX, so don't be fooled by some of these posts. The heat here not only IS uncomfortable at this level, it is downright dangerous.

I think this thread needs some balance as well. The heat might be a nice change for some and people definantly prefer it to mild or cool weather, but anyway you cut it, above 100 IS hot. If it wasn't, people wouldn't have swamp coolers, ACs, fans, etc. Stores would be open air, energy bills would be low. It is a different type of heat being dry, but it is all hot nonetheless. I suppose if you are here just visiting or chilling out, it isn't a big issue, but when you have to be out and about, day in and out, it is taxing. Tolerating heat is one thing, enjoying it is another. Some people beat it by the pool, in the shade with a cold one...but most of us put up with for several months of the year and certainly do not relish it. Also, take a shower around 7 PM tonight and you will discover that the water will come out hot, even on the cold setting. How fun!!!

If you think having the air temp higher than your body temp is comfy...you might want to question your own biological and anatomical response. You are not cold blooded. Acting like extreme heat is oh so blasé is down right dangerous, especially to newbies who aren't used to it. I guess it's all so magical, but don't leave common sense behind just because you left your old state behind.

I get that PHX or the desert are exciting to people from totally different areas at first...but the supposed heat lovers get a tiny dose of what they like and then head into the AC for the vast majority of the day and night. If you are planning on moving here, come at this time of the year to get a real taste of it. Humidity is supposed to spike up this weekend too...so remember, the OP's impressions are the honeymoon phase.
Lets all move to Florida so we can enjoy the humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area