Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 08:40 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,208,634 times

Advertisements

I live in a 2200 sq 16 year old house serviced by APS that I normally have the thermostat set at 79 degrees. How much savings can be expected by raising the thermostat 1, 2 or 3 degrees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 08:56 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,870,188 times
There must be someone out there that knows all about therms and BTU's.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:37 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,888,552 times
How much couldn't really be? $20...$40 a month difference. To mr it's no way worth it to e uncomfortable, I'd rather cut somewhere else if I had to sae some money.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,470,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I live in a 2200 sq 16 year old house serviced by APS that I normally have the thermostat set at 79 degrees. How much savings can be expected by raising the thermostat 1, 2 or 3 degrees?
I would be interested to know this. We were just talking about this the other week. We also keep it at 79 and our bills are outrageous in the summer.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,120,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
How much couldn't really be? $20...$40 a month difference. To me it's no way worth it to be uncomfortable, I'd rather cut somewhere else if I had to save some money.
I agree. 79 is way too hot already. I personally keep mine at 74.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:16 AM

97 posts, read 289,365 times
There are too many variables here. The construction of the house, amount of insulation, type of windows and doors and more. Do you know that APS has many different rates? I'm on a rate called combined advantage and have been chilling out for decades. My house is freezing most of the time (72 degrees) and I rough it out at 75 degrees M-F noon to seven. I keep the doors and windows closed then and give the appliances the afternoon off. I save a fortune (about $1000/year) on this rate. I was off peak all day today for the fourth of July. I have dual energy (Gas dryer, gas water heater, gas range, electric range and a heat pump). I must admit that I have almost run out of tricks with the electric bill. It keeps getting more expensive no matter what I can do. When the day comes I can't afford the electric bill, I'll have to move away to a cooler climate. I could not survive in an 80 degree house. I even shut down the desktop computers with fancy multimedia speakers and use notebook computers when I'm on-peak. I have been using florescent and compact florescent bulbs since their inception 15 years (?) ago. I now have switched those to LED bulbs and LED flood lights all around the exterior of my house. Clean out the condenser coil under your fridge on a regular basis, and get an Energy Star model without an ice maker. Whew!

Last edited by BabsJohnson; 07-05-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabsJohnson View Post
There are too many variables here. The construction of the house, amount of insulation, type of windows and doors and more. Do you know that APS has many different rates? I'm on a rate called combined advantage and have been chilling out for decades. My house is freezing most of the time (72 degrees) and I rough it out at 75 degrees M-F noon to seven. I keep the doors and windows closed then and give the appliances the afternoon off. I save a fortune (about $1000/year) on this rate. I was off peak all day today for the fourth of July. I have dual energy (Gas dryer, gas water heater, gas range, electric range and a heat pump). I must admit that I have almost run out of tricks with the electric bill. It keeps getting more expensive no matter what I can do. When the day comes I can't afford the electric bill, I'll have to move away to a cooler climate. I could not survive in an 80 degree house. I even shut down the desktop computers with fancy multimedia speakers and use notebook computers when I'm on-peak. I have been using florescent and compact florescent bulbs since their inception 15 years (?) ago. I now have switched those to LED bulbs and LED flood lights all around the exterior of my house. Clean out the condenser coil under your fridge on a regular basis, and get an Energy Star model without an ice maker. Whew!
Excellent information.

There is no simple answer to original question.

All factors have to be considered. Two story home or one story home. How much insulation in walls and ceilings. What type of roof. What type of windows. What type of window coverings. How many Engery Star appliances. Florescent or incandescent bulbs. What size is the cooling unit. What is the EER rating of cooling unit. What do you have plugged in that draws electricity that you do not need plugged in - such as device chargers. Leaving your cell phone charger plugged in and not charging cell phone still draws some electricity. The list goes on and on.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 AM

Oh, forgot. Do a search : live off the grid

Although not practical for most. These people do have great ways to not use electricity. As they use almost zero electricity. Some use zero electricity.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,192,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Oh, forgot. Do a search : live off the grid

Although not practical for most. These people do have great ways to not use electricity. As they use almost zero electricity. Some use zero electricity.
That's really not an answer for people living in your basic subdivision.

Lots of other good suggestions in this thread. There are a lot of variables, making it impossible to say how much any one household would save by raising the thermostat. Before making yourself uncomfortable by raising the thermostat too far, be sure you aren't wasting power (and cool air) in other ways. The biggest one is to be sure your doors and windows are airtight. I've learned from the experiences of others how much power that can waste.

Ceiling fans help, if you don't have them already.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:33 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,498,131 times
Is a tile roof better or worse than a regular shingle roof for energy savings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area