Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:12 PM

86 posts, read 414,443 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to the area in Oct/Nov and I was wondering the same thing. I don't need to live or be in an all black community but I want to be able to buy hair care products when I go to the store also. LOL! My greatest concern is that my daughter isn't the only black girl in her school so I use greatschools.net to see the racial mix of all the high schools to give me an idea of that particular area. BTW we are a inter-racial couple so a diverse area is very important to us.

Old 09-01-2007, 09:51 PM

86 posts, read 414,443 times
Question Well!

I guess the lack of response means that there aren't any areas like this in Phoenix. LOL

Old 09-02-2007, 02:59 AM

6 posts, read 94,042 times
Check out South Phoenix and Central Phoenix. Chez Nous bar in Central Phoenix will be opening soon, I think there's a website. Lots of lovely black people there.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:51 PM

57 posts, read 194,302 times
Hey go to church you will so many people of color

Old 09-03-2007, 03:13 PM

39 posts, read 180,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by International360 View Post
Hello to anyone reading this. I'm a 34 year old black male from the east coast who just moved to Phoenix. While I DO NOT expect Phoenix to be anything like Atlanta, Charlotte, D.C., or Chicago(that just wouldn't be fair) as far as beautful black women are concerned. But I would like someone to let me know where and when I can go to meet "MY PEOPLE." I've been out a little bit and I simply have not seen any professional or plain down-to-earth beautiful sistas. I mean, I have seen a couple driving thier cars here and there but I haven't even had the chance to talk to one yet. This city definitely appears to be lacking in the black folks department. Can someone out there change my mind and help me give this southwestern town a fair chance and turn my frown upside down.
While im a cracker, My good black friend took me to this bar on Central and well...trying to remember, its in that Park Central mall downtown on the west side of the street by the Good Egg...go around behind the good egg. We went in there and while I stuck out like a sore thumb is was chock full of nice normal non gangsta black folk...classy ladies. etc... right up your alley... good luck!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:51 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,845,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathiasthegreat View Post
While im a cracker, My good black friend took me to this bar on Central and well...trying to remember, its in that Park Central mall downtown on the west side of the street by the Good Egg...go around behind the good egg. We went in there and while I stuck out like a sore thumb is was chock full of nice normal non gangsta black folk...classy ladies. etc... right up your alley... good luck!
Why would you call yourself a cracker?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:03 PM

9 posts, read 59,913 times
One of my best friends has lived here for his entire life and still says he's the only black person he knows...it's sad. I think there were like 10 black people in my high school on the west side.

Things are better now than they used to be, but it's still a scarce sighting.
I don't know why there aren't more black people in AZ, but we sure could use more diversity.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 AM

34 posts, read 131,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulaz View Post
Why couldn't anyone just give you a straight answer? Here are a couple of places to get you started:

- Oscar Taylors (24th Street & Camelback)- check it out on Friday and Saturdays- they have live music in the early part of the evening
- Kona Grill in Chandler (Chandler Blvd & the 101)- happy hour there on Fridays should definitely be what you’re looking for
- Z Tejas in Chandler (Ray Rd & 58th St-I think) (it’s just east of the I-10)- happy hour on Fridays is okay as well- much more diverse but still quite a few black people
- Stoudemires (2nd street & Jefferson) is hit or miss
- Majerles (Washington & 2nd street)- every 1st and 3rd Wednesday there’s an open mic night- the evening is called “The Studio”, cover is $5- mix of poetry, a live band, some good vocalists
- Bobby C’s (Jefferson and 12th st)- more of an older crowd- but the food is great!
- BridgeKey Café (27th ave & Southern)- they have good food (I think), and live music as well BridgeKeyCatering

A couple of distribution lists or websites to check out that would probably help keep you in the know:
EnTimeOnline.com, UrbanAZ.com, UpscaleEntertainment

Stay away from Next- it’s "GHETTO"- to quote several people referencing this club (always ridiculously hot and crowded inside)

If you’re spiritual/religious- check out one of these churches:
- Pilgrim’s Rest (Jefferson & 14th st)- they have a singles fellowship
- 1st Institutional (Jefferson & 13th st)- I think they have a singles fellowship as well
- Faith Christian Center (26th St & McDowell)- the preacher is young but sensational; congregation is mixed; there’s a 9am service and an 11am

There’s a Black Film Showcase in March- (I know it’s a ways away but I’m mentioning it so a) you know it’s coming and b) if you’re interested in signing up to volunteer for it- we’ll begin working on it in a month or so- we can use the help, plus it’s a great way to network- last year’s event was better than ever before- lots of fun

Lastly, check out these organizations and newspapers:
http://www.aamasu.org/
https://www.gphxul.org they have a young professionals group- great networking once again
The Write Up- free paper- go to any soul food restaurant or somewhere in South Phoenix or Glendale and you should be able to find it
The Arizona Informant- a weekly distribution, you have to pay for it, but you get it free if you come to The Studio!

There are black people here- you just have to know where to go, hopefully this helps a little bit. Good luck to you!
thats whats up...

ive been here and didnt know all that...thx

Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoeYourself View Post
One of my best friends has lived here for his entire life and still says he's the only black person he knows...it's sad. I think there were like 10 black people in my high school on the west side.

Things are better now than they used to be, but it's still a scarce sighting.
I don't know why there aren't more black people in AZ, but we sure could use more diversity.
Note too that some of the 'Black' people are; legally speaking, Hispanic from Mexico.

Believe it or not: there are Black enclaves SOB (south of border).

And too many of the more educated Black folks are actually from Africa as in Nigeria, Sudan, Kenya, etc.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 6,906 times
The black population of Phoenix is 2% compared with 59% in Atlanta, 62% in DC area, 37% in Chicago area. This history of the east coast would explain why there are less black ppl in the PHX area. The entire state of Arizona has only 5% black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area