U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 AM

523 posts, read 533,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
I would not say I got valley fever for not taking precautions. It happens. I have been here since I was nine, and I got it this year. Its a new infection.
Some areas are more endemic than others.

Pinal being the worse county here. There is so much dirt in this house it is not funny. I have to vacuum twice a day, dust 2x as well. Then it is still dusty. My home is across the street from a farm. I am pretty sure how I got it. It has me ill, yes. It can be serious in some yes. It is a good thing to be aware of living here. My grandfather was here two weeks and got it. I got it
30 years later after coming here go figure.

Truth is most do not even know they have been exposed. Some get sick.
Here in AZ one out of three pnemnoias in the ER are actually valley fever.
This is from my doctor. Most of those cases heal. About 12 percent of those cases who DO show symptoms can go on to have disseminated disease. This is deadly if not treated.

All my years I have not met anyone here who has died from it. I have met many that have had it. On the VF forum, you will here of those who died from it. The statistics are you wont. But for that person who gets it bad, it really is bad and something to be aware of.
Thank you for sharing your experience. Two nights ago I had to take a little girl (cousin's daughter) to the emergency room due to breathing problems. The medical personal said it was related to the air events here in Phoenix. They were visiting from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 10:03 AM

14,224 posts, read 17,816,886 times
Yes, some people had trouble with the dust. That's not exactly news.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 AM

295 posts, read 301,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
When this type of event happens, it really is a cause for concern. Valley Fever is a very deadly problem in the area, but it is not the only problem which arises.
Valley Fever is only one issue which can happen. What is more common is for the development of asthma or asthma-related conditions in those in developmental stages.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
Valley Fever is only one issue which can happen. What is more common is for the development of asthma or asthma-related conditions in those in developmental stages.
Huh? Are you talking about children, or babies in utero? Asthma in chlldren is largely genetic, and not induced by exposure to dust.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
At times it felt like we were next to a volcano which just erupted.

The sand everywhere can cause a lot of troubles for many systems.
I heard others describe the same thing. They were very concerned about the what it was going to do to their ventilation and air conditioning systems.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
I heard others describe the same thing. They were very concerned about the what it was going to do to their ventilation and air conditioning systems.
You clean (or replace, for those that aren't reusable) the filters, and move on with life. No need to make EVERYTHING sound like such a big deal.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Huh? Are you talking about children, or babies in utero? Asthma in chlldren is largely genetic, and not induced by exposure to dust.
When looking at the data from studies, this is not found to be the case. I agree it is one factor, along with other items in the air.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
When looking at the data from studies, this is not found to be the case. I agree it is one factor, along with other items in the air.
Post links to these "studies" that show no genetic effect. There's a reason why young parents who have severe asthma and respiratory allergies are warned about passing them on to their children. Air conditions can cause asthma symptoms, if the condition is already there.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 AM

22 posts, read 22,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You clean (or replace, for those that aren't reusable) the filters, and move on with life. No need to make EVERYTHING sound like such a big deal.
Phoenix's air is consistently ranked either the worst, or second worst air in the country. I can see why it is an important relocation topic to people, especially those with children or the elderly.

Old 07-10-2011, 12:15 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,262,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSafetyQuestions View Post
Phoenix's air is consistently ranked either the worst, or second worst air in the country. I can see why it is an important relocation topic to people, especially those with children or the elderly.
You forgot to log in under your other ID
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area