Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 23,822 times

Advertisements

I am losing my job in Atlanta which has a high unemployment rate, so I'm considering different cities around the country. I've always loved the Phoenix landscape and lack of humidity, but I don't know anyone there. I'm a 37 year old christian, so I'm not into the club scene. I enjoy shopping, trying new restaurants, going to plays and concerts. Does Phoenix have many of these activities? I always wanted to get married and have children, but the men in Atlanta seem to want to play the field. My main concern about Phoenix is its lack of African American men, and I was wondering if men of other races would be interested in an African American female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 PM

92,402 posts, read 122,662,773 times
I think you would be fine. While the Black percentage isn't high, Black folks live throughout the area in Mesa, Glendale, Peoria, Tempe, Gilbert, Chandler, etc. South Mountain seems to be the long time highly concentrated Black neighborhood.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Also, what about cities like Seattle and Denver which actually have more Black men than Black women? I believe that Minneapolis is like that as well.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:19 PM

3 posts, read 23,822 times
Thanks! I never thought about Seattle, but I know I couldn't handle the cold weather in Denver. I also know I need sunshine, because I became very depressed while living in Detroit one winter which was void of sunshine.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:26 PM

Then, you might not like Seattle due to overcast days. Denver actually gets a lot of sunny days.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:32 PM

This could help too: Cities and States Black African American Demographics Population

Old 07-15-2011, 07:34 PM

77 posts, read 199,233 times
Minneapolis, despite its harsh winters, has lots of sunshine, according to my research. I remember visiting the area during Christmas weekend in 2006, and that was one aspect that stood out. Plus, being African-American, I can tell you that the metro's AA population has been growing strongly since 1980, with roughly 275,000-325,000 blacks in the metro area---counting the large numbers of multiracial blacks, of course---275,000 blacks minus the multiracial AAs, according to the 2010 Census.

However, the Twin Cities has a large black underclass, many from Rust Belt cities such as Chicago and Gary, Indiana. It also has a very small and pretty much nonexistent black middle-class, with a black unemployment rate that is the highest in the nation (20.6% AA UE rate vs. 6.0% white UE rate...YIKES!!), but if you can handle that, with 4 distinct seasons, you should check it out. The TCs has a plethora of Fortune 500 companies.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,802,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosweetie View Post
I am losing my job in Atlanta which has a high unemployment rate, so I'm considering different cities around the country. I've always loved the Phoenix landscape and lack of humidity, but I don't know anyone there. I'm a 37 year old christian, so I'm not into the club scene. I enjoy shopping, trying new restaurants, going to plays and concerts. Does Phoenix have many of these activities? I always wanted to get married and have children, but the men in Atlanta seem to want to play the field. My main concern about Phoenix is its lack of African American men, and I was wondering if men of other races would be interested in an African American female.
City-specific inquiries belong in the room designated for that city... not city-vs-city. Moving to the appropriate room.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,740,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirosweetie View Post
Chirosweetie, you sound like such a great lady, that if I weren't married, with children and grandchildren; and too old for you, I would be interested. I'm sure there are many single men of other races that will be interested in you.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:39 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,540,576 times
I gently pushed a friend of mine to move to DC. Lots of jobs there....and the weather is not bad despite the bad press. I lived there 6 years myself and loved it. Again...lots of jobs...and lots of single guys, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area