Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 07:18 AM

3 posts, read 8,118 times

Advertisements

Hello! This is my first posting, and I'm wondering if someone could give me the names of reputable mortgage companies that would be available in the Phoenix area (possibly Laveen or Goodyear area). I'm selling my house in Michigan and am looking to buy a house.

My partner just got a job in Laveen and he is now renting an apartment in Laveen. He said there are new homes going up in the area, but I was wondering if this is considered a "growing area" in AZ?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 AM

27,227 posts, read 27,292,917 times
Im not a homeowner but am guessing that you might want to think about someone who has branches nationwaide, such as Realty Executives or Century 21.
Im not sure whats going on with real estate right now in some parts of the midwest but do know that out here, there are a lot of houses sitting in limbo because the housing boom has maxed out and people are having to come to the reality of realizing that they need to come down a little, if they want to sell. Many areas have been sitting for as long as 2 years now....and still no bites.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks L_A_Woman, for the advice about hooking up with a national realty company. I have a feeling a house search might take a while! I still have to sell the house here in MI and sellers are taking a beating on prices because there's such a glut here now.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:41 AM

647 posts, read 3,331,287 times
I would do a lot of research before buying in Laveen. Yes, they're building a lot there and homes are cheap but it's not in a terribly good area, IMO. The surrounding areas are pretty iffy, and also you should research the highway extension that's planned (I think they're expanding the 202 and also the 303, though not sure about the 303). I don't remember exactly where it's going, but it seems like it was very close to Laveen which, to me, would be a negative. I prefer to have some distance between my home and the highway as a buffer. JMO though.

If you guys will be working in Laveen, you could move anywhere near there - you don't HAVE to live in the area you work. I'd look further west (Goodyear, Litchfield Park area, Estrella Mountain Ranch, etc), or Ahwatukee or Tempe....many options, of course though it depends a lot on your price range too.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:35 PM

3 posts, read 13,127 times
Yes, Laveen is considered a growing area, but I would not recommend moving here because of the high crime rates and gang activity. My husband and I moved here about a year ago from out of the state and we wish that someone had warned us about living in the West Valley.

Within a week of our move-in, we had a drunk, half-naked woman sleeping on our front doorstep, and she kept trying to get into our house. Two months later there was a drug and gang-related shooting 5 houses away. A illegal immigrant drop house was up the street. We have boom cars with their in-sane bass driving through the neighborhood and the HOA has spends thousands of $$ every month covering graffiti. And home burgularies are increasing dramatically - my neighbor's house was broken into just last week.

The builder (Centex) said they screened carefully for investors, but I'd say a third of our neighborhood is rented out, hence the problems with gangs and drugs. And they sell to low-income people who more than likely will be foreclosing in a year or two.

So unless you want to feel like you're living in a ghetto and be subject to lots of crime and gang activity, I'd recommend not buying in Laveen or in the West Valley. Like I said, I wish someone had warned my husband and I.

Old 08-11-2007, 05:43 PM

133 posts, read 431,861 times
I'm not sure where Gisgal lives, but I live in a very typical new home community near 51st Ave and Baseline. The only criminal activity that we have observed in the last year was an attempted auto theft. This compares with our previous home in Tempe, where the college community tends to generate far greater levels of crime. As for a mortgage lender, I like Miles McBride at Washington Mutual's Scottsdale office.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,759 times
I moved my family out here 3 years ago from Denver after 5 years. I liked CO but my wife wasn't too happy there. I live in Scottsdale & no, I don't live in a $2 million home...I wish. You can buy homes Scottsdale from the high $200,000's to mid $300,000's on up to well over $2 million. I am hearing that Mesa is an up & comer in terms of real estate values & moderate prices.

As far a reputable mortgage company, I would try PTF Financial in Scottsdale. I "hear" they are very good. They do things online which can make it easier on you & they keep you & your Realtor updated via email. They also look at your total financial & investment goals to show you how your mortgage can play a major role in realizing those goals. Oh, & they have great rates. I can say this as I have to admit that I am the branch manager for PTF Financial.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM

Thanks so much Boatdrinks, gisgal, PTBrennan, LA Woman and Mortgage Coach. I appreciate the variety of information each of you gave and your own unique perspectives. Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me! I just listed the house today so I'm hoping it sells quickly!

Old 08-13-2007, 05:37 PM

133 posts, read 431,861 times
Best of luck in selling your current home! My friend's parents are trying to sell their's in Indiana and having a tough time..... It kind of makes me wonder what in the world happened a couple of years ago, when homes appeared to be going up EVERYWHERE. Now the market looks soft almost everywhere. Oh yeah, it was the sub-prime mortgage market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopat01 View Post
Thanks so much Boatdrinks, gisgal, PTBrennan, LA Woman and Mortgage Coach. I appreciate the variety of information each of you gave and your own unique perspectives. Looks like I have a lot of research ahead of me! I just listed the house today so I'm hoping it sells quickly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area