Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 PM

148 posts, read 278,813 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone:

First off, I want to say that I love City-Data and all of the useful (although sometimes conflicting ) information I have gotten over the years. I enjoy all the dialogue and individual outlooks and expressed views that come to light in these forums. I appreciate any assistance you can provide me regarding my upcoming move to the Valley...

After much debate in my mind, I have decided to return to the Phoenix area after a 13 year absence. I lived in the Valley from 1992-1999, moving to Florida for family/financial reasons. I kind of got "stuck" here. My goal is to return in October/November, 2012. I am shocked by pictures and other testimony on how much the Valley has changed since I left (Town Lake, light rail, freeways, etc)!

I am an RN with a Bachelor's Degree and nine years experience. I am single (and will probably move single next year) and will be moving alone. I am in my mid-forties, and have enough $$ for a sizeable down payment on a condo/townhouse (> than 20%).

My questions have to do with logistics. As a nurse, it appears that there are jobs all over the Valley...although I do prefer to work in the hospital setting. I do not want to be far from work, but I do not want to live in a lousy area. I am debating whether to get a permanent job first or maybe move as a travel nurse (the agency would put you up in a rental for the duration of the assignment, usually 12-15 weeks). I do not know if I should simply come out and buy first or rent and wait. Move my furniture and maybe have to store it long-term (and then realize the furniture does not look good in your new place anyway lol) or sell/consign it and start fresh. I have a two seater sports car that I cannot carry much or lug a UHaul...so I was considering renting a UHaul truck to carry what I can and actually tow the car. I do want to try to formulate a plan that is the least hassle for the money.

Can people please comment on how they handled a long distance move...especially with minimal assistance? Finally, can someone please comment on how South Phoenix has changed since I left. It used to be an area to avoid if possible. Now I see a lot of nice-looking condos and homes listed in that area for a reasonable price.

All thoughts are appreciated...thank you!

Last edited by carrob; 07-18-2011 at 10:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:59 PM

10 posts, read 90,489 times
This is all up to you, of course, but seeing that you haven't been here in a while, I would suggest renting before you buy something. Phoenix has changed a lot over the years. I was gone for only two (2002-2004) and was surprised by the changes when I returned.

About south Phoenix, I understand that it has a bad reputation, but I think it's just like any other city. There are going to be pockets of decent neighborhoods, but there are also bad neighborhoods. I had family living in "south" Phoenix, but I thought their area was OK. That's why I would suggest renting before you commit to anything. Besides, the housing market here still sucks, so I think you can take your time in finding something more permanent.

Florida sounds like quite a move. When I moved back (from Utah), I packed what I could in my sedan, shipped one box of clothes, and that was it. I left everything else behind by donating to charity or giving it to friends. I think it's up to you if you want to keep your stuff or whatnot. Good luck. (:

Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,743,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrob View Post

Can people please comment on how they handled a long distance move...especially with minimal assistance? Finally, can someone please comment on how South Phoenix has changed since I left. It used to be an area to avoid if possible. Now I see a lot of nice-looking condos and homes listed in that area for a reasonable price.

All thoughts are appreciated...thank you!
South Phoenix is still an area to avoid. It's still gangland, and they tried to build some cookie cutter homes, but all that did is surround a bunch of transplants in gangland.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:06 AM

38,982 posts, read 50,923,768 times
I had not been in south Phoenix for several years until a couple weeks back when I had to drive the length of the area along Baseline. Wow, did it ever change! There are many very nice looking developments south of Baseline and many, many commercial offerings that were not there 10 years ago. So it looks nice in those areas, but is it safe? Well, I used to live there when it was the bad part of town and the reputation was far worse than the reality. I never had any problems other than my property did not appreciate very fast (though it sold easily). Much of the reputation is grounded in bigotry or out of date perceptions from natives and long term residents who haven't been out of their neighborhoods in decades. South Phoenix was rarely in the news then or now.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:21 AM

701 posts, read 1,093,643 times
I am using the uHaul UBox for my move. They drop off the uBox, then I load it, and they store it until I call for it. It was actually $1000 cheaper than the smallest truck rental, not counting gas and hotel stays. I don't have any furniture, though, so fitting everything in the uBox won't be difficult.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Much of the reputation is grounded in bigotry or out of date perceptions from natives and long term residents who haven't been out of their neighborhoods in decades. South Phoenix was rarely in the news then or now.
I grew up on the Southside and still have friends that live there. Your post is naive and misguided. 16th St and Roeser is not some happy go lucky place, and I dare anyone here to move there. Just because the built a shiney new strip mall @ 24th and Baseline does not mean South Phoenix is now a great place to live.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM

38,982 posts, read 50,923,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
I grew up on the Southside and still have friends that live there. Your post is naive and misguided. 16th St and Roeser is not some happy go lucky place, and I dare anyone here to move there. Just because the built a shiney new strip mall @ 24th and Baseline does not mean South Phoenix is now a great place to live.
"Much of the reputation is grounded in bigotry or out of date perceptions from natives and long term residents who haven't been out of their neighborhoods in decades. South Phoenix was rarely in the news then or now."

You are one of the worst for this. It may not be a great place to live but it is not the terrible place you want to paint it as either. Never was.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
"Much of the reputation is grounded in bigotry or out of date perceptions from natives and long term residents who haven't been out of their neighborhoods in decades. South Phoenix was rarely in the news then or now."

You are one of the worst for this. It may not be a great place to live but it is not the terrible place you want to paint it as either. Never was.
Out of my neighborhood in decades you dont know anything about me. You don't know my experiences. I'm not some 60yr old geezer who grew up in the burbs or live in some cookie cutter home out in Goodyear. If you want to tell some transplant that the Southside is great and gentrified thats on you. It's misguided and irresponsible

Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,312,041 times
Quote:
Much of the reputation is grounded in bigotry or out of date perceptions from natives and long term residents who haven't been out of their neighborhoods in decades. South Phoenix was rarely in the news then or now."
I live in the vicinity of 12th St and Bethaney. When the weather is cooler, I go hiking at South Mountain park. I drive through south Phoenix to get there. South Phoenix has gentrified somewhat south of Baseline Road. But I would look around carefully before living there. Property crime (burglaries) is a problem in that area.
As mentioned I go hiking at South Mountain Park and I do like to eat at Los Dos Molinos - probably some of the best Mexican food in the Valley. But I would be real cautious about moving to south Phoenix to live.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:57 PM

159 posts, read 395,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
I live in the vicinity of 12th St and Bethaney. When the weather is cooler, I go hiking at South Mountain park. I drive through south Phoenix to get there. South Phoenix has gentrified somewhat south of Baseline Road. But I would look around carefully before living there. Property crime (burglaries) is a problem in that area.
As mentioned I go hiking at South Mountain Park and I do like to eat at Los Dos Molinos - probably some of the best Mexican food in the Valley. But I would be real cautious about moving to south Phoenix to live.
As a Native, I agree (especially about Los Dos Molinos!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area