Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:20 PM

63 posts, read 113,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The bad areas of downtown, if you want to call them that, are west and south of the city high rises where all the homeless services are. Phoenix does not have an urban ghetto (we have suburban ones) like so many large cities do, so there are no "projects" and decaying tenements downtown.
Where are the suburban ghettos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 08:42 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellas17 View Post
Where are the suburban ghettos?
I don't know that they are true ghettos in the eastern city sense, but Maryvale (west Phoenix), south Phoenix though not really a suburb, parts of Chandler, south Scottsdale, parts of Mesa, Tolleson, Avondale, Buckeye, Glendale etc, etc. There's quite a bit of it spread around. Most of the suburban cities in the valley have a rotten core. On the other hand, there is nothing here that approaches the kind of ghettos you see in St. Louis, for example. You don't have to worry about making a wrong turn and ending up murdered.

I think the worst part of town is around Buckeye and 15th Avenue or so, but everyone has a favorite.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-22-2011 at 08:51 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 12:31 AM

10 posts, read 90,646 times
During the day, you'll be fine. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Maybe you should get some pepper spray. I'm only half-kidding. I carry that with me all the time. Also, if you're going to be living downtown, I would recommend being aware of where the blue lights are located near campus. Those are emergency call boxes to reach the police.

I work downtown, and I feel safe. I get annoyed by the homeless people who ask for money. If I am in a giving mood, I make sure that I have cash at hand (not reaching into my purse). Like people said, please use common sense. For me, I just like to be prepared -- better safe than sorry. (:

Old 07-23-2011, 07:24 PM

9 posts, read 22,336 times
Glad to hear from mostly everyone that it's relatively safe during the day. I don't plan on travelling on foot horribly far, but good to know that common sense is all I need. Thanks everyone

Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaisOf_Fire91 View Post
Next month, I'm moving into a dorm to go to the ASU Downtown campus, which is close to Chase Stadium. I'm a girl, and I definitely know it's not safe to walk around that area of town alone at night. But I'm wondering how safe the city is during the day? I need to go to places within Phoenix, and I don't have my own car yet. I'll be walking around a lot (and using the Metro), and I probably won't always be able to go everywhere with a friend.

So my question is, will it be safe to do so? Are there any particularly bad parts of downtown Phoenix I should be avoiding? Thanks for any input!
Downtown is safe. It is a downtown, and it is a big city, so you definitely need to use your head. But there really aren't any areas that are "bad". There are a couple of sketchy areas on the edges but you probably wouldn't have any reason to travel into them based on where you are living, using the Metro, and going to common downtown (or Metro-accessible) attractions.

Actually, if you use the ASU downtown map, it details out major downtown attractions and buildings. I just took a look at it, and pretty much everything that is labeled on that map, is safe. It's possible to walk all the way from one end of campus at 7th and Washington, to the other side at Central and Fillmore, without having to walk outside of campus, or areas with a lot of people (either the Arizona Center, or past the Westin and Sheraton hotels).

During the day, everything detailed/labeled on the map is safe. You should be able to traverse anywhere in the map without any trouble at all (and you are well within reach of large numbers of people in every building).

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway--at night, use your head. I live downtown and I walk between my house and different downtown hotels meeting business associates at night, then I walk home alone. I've never felt uncomfortable, but this is also before 11pm or midnight, so there are still people around, getting out of the theaters, dinner, etc. I'm also a guy, and I don't walk around at 2AM either. There is a lot of activity downtown when events are going on, and pretty much all winter when there are a lot of convention goers and tourists staying in downtown hotels. If you are on foot at night with someone else, it's MUCH better than being alone. Even on the most deserted nights downtown, I've only encountered the occasional transient who wants to strike up a conversation (or get some money). Pretty much what you will find in any major city.

Back to the original question about during the day--the whole downtown area is fine. Same goes for the Metro in either direction. I ride it back from the airport in the later evening and there are always plenty of students riding.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:14 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,122,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hec98 View Post
During the day, you'll be fine. But it doesn't hurt to be prepared. Maybe you should get some pepper spray. I'm only half-kidding. I carry that with me all the time. Also, if you're going to be living downtown, I would recommend being aware of where the blue lights are located near campus. Those are emergency call boxes to reach the police.

I work downtown, and I feel safe. I get annoyed by the homeless people who ask for money. If I am in a giving mood, I make sure that I have cash at hand (not reaching into my purse). Like people said, please use common sense. For me, I just like to be prepared -- better safe than sorry. (:
......Considering (after reading this Thread and others like it)......there appears to be certain areas in the Phoenix area & certain areas in the Tucson area that could be classified as "unsafe at night".... (walking to the store. bus-stop etc).... for people of either sex....... Why not consider carrying (open-carry) a suitable hand gun in a belt holster. Am I not correct that AZ is an "open-carry" state? (there are obviously some restrictions, age 18 being one)........I should think that legally carrying a suitable hand gun in plain sight would be an excellent way of deterring a possible mugging and/or robbery and/or a personal attack for someone who is truly afraid for their safety in a certain area.

I ask this as a sincere and honest question....not as a "baiting-type" of question".

It also goes without saying that a person carrying a sidearm should be totally familiar with it and have had proper instruction from a qualified instructor.

I should think that just the sight of a hand-gun, in a holster, on the waist of a woman (or man).... (it really doesn't even have to be loaded), would make some thug think twice about an illegal act or personal attack.

Again, just asking because I don't know why this choice wouldn't be an option for someone who may on occasion be "in-a-bad-area".

Old 07-25-2011, 05:37 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
You're correct. It is an option. However, it's not on topic for this particular thread.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The bad areas of downtown, if you want to call them that, are west and south of the city high rises where all the homeless services are. Phoenix does not have an urban ghetto (we have suburban ones) like so many large cities do, so there are no "projects" and decaying tenements downtown.
Also the section between the 17 freeway (before it merges with I10) and the main part of downtown is pretty bad from what I hear. They used to call that area the Barrio, but I don't know if it's even referred to as such anymore. The stretch along Central Avenue south of about Madison Street or so is no place to be after dark either. North of there into the main part of downtown & the Central Corridor should be OK.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:18 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Also the section between the 17 freeway (before it merges with I10) and the main part of downtown is pretty bad from what I hear. They used to call that area the Barrio, but I don't know if it's even referred to as such anymore. The stretch along Central Avenue south of about Madison Street or so is no place to be after dark either. North of there into the main part of downtown & the Central Corridor should be OK.
And, that area is not the area the OP will be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area