Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
Thanks, all. Well, we're a way off buying yet - first of all we have to move over there, then swap our L1 visas for green cards - but when we do, we'll be looking for older properties on larger lots. Hubby grew up on a farm and likes to tinker with old cars, so somewhere with an oversized garage/workshop would be good, with plenty of parking. The school district has to be right too, of course. And shops within a couple of miles, as I'm firmly planning on being a weirdy European who bikes to the supermarket with a trailer .

The sort of places I've been looking at this evening, for example, are properties in the Paradise Valley school district just north of Cactus Road, between the 101 and Paradise Valley mall area. Or some of the pockets of Gilbert, the lots of about 1/2 to 1 acre that are quite rural-looking (being English, I can't quite bring myself to love desert landscaping just yet, but I'm really working on that...).

That's why I wanted to check how the pricing works - there are properties in those areas that fit our criteria and are comfortably in the price range, but that's no use to me if I find out that they always end up being in a bidding war and you have to mentally add another $100k on top!

If you have any suggestions of other areas I should look for similar properties (commuting to near Sky Harbor), I'd love to hear your ideas.

Thanks a lot.
There are areas in Gilbert that fit your criteria. There are some areas in Mesa that will partially fit it.

The schools in Gilbert have good reputation. The schools in Mesa where these older larger lots are may not be as good. You would have to check those. The schools in east and north east Mesa are good, but the areas don't fit what I believe your criteria is.

From what I hear you saying, with schools being a big criteria, 1/2 to 1 acre lot, not in an HOA, close to Sky Harbor, not wanting desert type landscaping, it sounds like Gilbert may be a good fit. Gilbert was all farm land until around 25 years ago, with lots of farms, hay, corm etc, and citrus trees. So there is a lot more greenery in this town than in some of the others. There are small pockets within the town that many people don't even know about. They're like little country farm areas with large lots, and if you aren't aware of them you wouldn't know they are there.

Queen Creek could work except it's far from Sky Harbor, and the schools are not as good. The shopping may be a little farther than you would like.

As far as making offers on a property, it depends on each individual property, the location, the type of sale, the time on market, the competition and the price compared to the current market value. A good Realtor will provide guidance on offer strategies in the market that exists at the time you plan to buy.

Right now there are multiple offers on almost any home that is priced at the current market value; especially in the lower price ranges below $200k. That can change at any time. That may slow down some as we get further along into the summer and fall season.

There are bike lanes on every street, so riding your bike to shop will certainly be doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:49 PM

228 posts, read 343,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
There are small pockets within the town that many people don't even know about. They're like little country farm areas with large lots, and if you aren't aware of them you wouldn't know they are there.
Oops, now I've gone and told everyone about them . Darn my big mouth - if you could all just forget you read this thread...

Thanks, Capt Bill. The Bird's Eye function I found on your website that linked through to Bing is super helpful for spotting these sort of clumps.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:22 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodokan View Post
Oops, now I've gone and told everyone about them . Darn my big mouth - if you could all just forget you read this thread...

Thanks, Capt Bill. The Bird's Eye function I found on your website that linked through to Bing is super helpful for spotting these sort of clumps.
Not to worry, most people don't know how to appreciate the sweet aroma of horse manure, alfalfa, and cow pies.
When I was young I spent every summer on my granfathers farm, so I love finding these little spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area