Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,217 times

Advertisements

I've moved from California a year ago to Laveen, before that I had visited a relative who as well moved from California to Laveen, and there was absolutly nothing out here I thought and with the industrial companies...but when I decided to come back and visit a few months later, there were so many new developments up! I like it out here, you get that country side feeling and bit of the city, its a great mix!

Its just insulting when there are people out there that gives Laveen a negative feed back and call it "The Gettho." You haven't seen gettho, go down South Central LA, and I will assure you would probably get robbed or killed instantly. So, yeah I admit that the school district in the area is under performing and you may see graffiti's on community walls, but it gets cleaned you. For those who hasn't even been to Laveen needs to give it a chance, its not as bad. Every area has it owns flaws, just like humans we all aren't perfet right? Talking about crime rates, I'm always hearing about murders in the area of Tempe, and Mesa. You rarely hear anything about Laveen. Just because Laveen's neighbors don't have a high reputation such Scottsdale and such...doesn't mean you have to be negative about it.

With all the negative talks, reminds me of an interview I was at not too long ago...as I recalled the interviewer asked me where about I lived, I had responded Laveen. And he just straight up told me I came from the Gettho! He lives in Glendale, as if thats suppose to be any better!!

Maybe if those real estate investor don't rent out their properties to those who did come from the projects, Laveen wouldn't be given such a bad reputation! They are the ones that are bringing their getthoness into the area.

Last edited by justanotherday; 08-30-2007 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 02:46 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,604,542 times
Laveen does not have a good rep because it is bordered by bad areas in every direction.

I have been in Laveen (playing poker at a friends) and heard gun shots three different times on the same night.

I'm also from the LA area and would agree that Laveen is not South Central/Compton. But in the same, Maryvale is not Compton or Watts.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:50 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherday View Post
I've moved from California a year ago to Laveen, before that I had visited a relative who as well moved from California to Laveen, and there was absolutly nothing out here I thought and with the industrial companies...but when I decided to come back and visit a few months later, there were so many new developments up! I like it out here, you get that country side feeling and bit of the city, its a great mix!

Its just insulting when there are people out there that gives Laveen a negative feed back and call it "The Gettho." You haven't seen gettho, go down South Central LA, and I will assure you would probably get robbed or killed instantly. So, yeah I admit that the school district in the area is under performing and you may see graffiti's on community walls, but it gets cleaned you. For those who hasn't even been to Laveen needs to give it a chance, its not as bad. Every area has it owns flaws, just like humans we all aren't perfet right? Talking about crime rates, I'm always hearing about murders in the area of Tempe, and Chandler. You rarely hear anything about Laveen. Just because Laveen's neighbors don't have a high reputation such Scottsdale and such...doesn't mean you have to be negative about it.

With all the negative talks, reminds me of an interview I was at not too long ago...as I recalled the interviewer asked me where about I lived, I had responded Laveen. And he just straight up told me I came from the Gettho! He lives in Glendale, as if thats suppose to be any better!!

Maybe if those real estate investor don't rent out their properties to those who did come from the projects, Laveen wouldn't be given such a bad reputation! They are the ones that are bringing their getthoness into the area.

It's a relocation forum and some think Laveen is ghetto. Some think Scottsdale is snobby. I'm sure the folks in Scottsdale get insulted as well. If you like it than who cares. I never got insulted when someone said something bad about Gilbert or Glendale, unless I was trying to sell my house

As far as investors renting out houses to people from the projects, maybe those people from the projects feel more confortable living in Laveen.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM

133 posts, read 433,285 times
It's amazing how recklessly people on this board throw around assumptions. Again, let the crime statistics speak - Laveen is one of the safest parts of the Valley.

As for gunshots, I wouldn't doubt that they are sometimes present - like anywhere. That said, however, I once tried to report gunshots and discovered that it was actually the sound of construction workers in the middle of the night. That's a very different scenario.

And finally, Laveen is surrounded by bad areas? South Mountain? Half-million dollar homes? Let's not forget that the Biltmore has nearby rough areas, Scottsdale has the projects, Chandler has it's downtown, and Surprise has its own special surroundings. Get over it!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:48 PM

235 posts, read 922,725 times
I did work in many of the new Laveen subdivisions in 2005 and 2006. I was unpleasantly suprised at how quickly some of the new subdivions seemed to be filling up with graffiti, trash and souped up honda civics. Is it Compton or Watts, no, but I wouldn't buy a house there.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post
I did work in many of the new Laveen subdivisions in 2005 and 2006. I was unpleasantly suprised at how quickly some of the new subdivions seemed to be filling up with graffiti, trash and souped up honda civics. Is it Compton or Watts, no, but I wouldn't buy a house there.
Were you in the area of 19th/Baseline? Not Laveen.

I live near 51st/Baseline, where we were hit once by taggers in the last year. They will probably return again someday, but only after making their rounds to other parts of the Valley first. That's how taggers gain a reputation - proliferation.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:49 AM

202 posts, read 981,165 times
Which high school do the kids attend in Laveen?

Go there sometime. Count the thugs.

I rest my case.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Which high school do the kids attend in Laveen?

Go there sometime. Count the thugs.

I rest my case.
The new one at 55th and Baseline? I haven't been there, and I think I would be arrested as an "observer." Please share your count after it's completed - I'll trust you.

What a ****-poor use of stereotyping! FYI, The only kid I knew in high school that carried a gun was a screwed up white kid from an upper-middle class family in one of the Valley's most affluent neighborhoods. And yes, due to busing programs, we were also exposed to the supposed "thugs." They weren't all too threatening.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrennan View Post
The new one at 55th and Baseline? I haven't been there, and I think I would be arrested as an "observer." Please share your count after it's completed - I'll trust you.

What a ****-poor use of stereotyping! FYI, The only kid I knew in high school that carried a gun was a screwed up white kid from an upper-middle class family in one of the Valley's most affluent neighborhoods. And yes, due to busing programs, we were also exposed to the supposed "thugs." They weren't all too threatening.

Laveen scares some of us.....that's all.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill- View Post

That's what my better half said after 2 years of working over there. He said too bad because that area could have been a nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area