U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 PM

303 posts, read 522,749 times
Default Swimming for dogs

Ok besides Cosmo Dog park in Gilbert...which is really far from my house...where can I take my pups to get some relief and fun exercise? I live our in the west valley in Goodyear.....

I was thinking of taking them down by PIR in the wash area....is it safe there for them? What about Lake Pleasant, are dogs allowed to swim there?

Ideally the area by PIR is preferred since it's only ten minutes away...I think they are just bored and sick of waiting till ten pm to go on their walks....looking for something different to do.....open to all suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 PM

2,968 posts, read 2,758,550 times
Our dog swims in our pool but if you don't have a pool have you considered one of the little plastic kiddie pools for them to roll around in? I live in Goodyear and don't know of anywhere that you can take a dog swimming outside of Lake Pleasant which my friend takes his dogs camping/swimming all the time. Not familiar with the area near PIR you're referring to.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 PM

We have a little plastic kiddie pool, but I wanted to take them where they could burn sone serious energy and get some real exercise.....the area that I'm talking about by PIR is across the street from the track, just to the west of the east most parking lot...if that makes sense... I see people fishing there all the time

Last edited by nightgirl151; 08-01-2011 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Spell check

Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM

274 posts, read 295,681 times
I know where you are talking about. Looks like snakesville to me....especially this time of year. I could be wrong or not.

I vote for a kiddie pool.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 AM

968 posts, read 1,154,310 times
This part of Arizona is not a good place to find swimming areas for dogs. Most or all of the rivers and streams are dried up or dammed up. And even if you find an area of water there are state and municipal leash laws.

You could try up in the mountains. But that is also iffy as limited access and parking. And the same "rules" apply.

I did find a watering hole not far from my home in the southeast valley area. But the water was very muddy and very hot as there was nothing I could find that was feeding the watering hole. Tried it once. Dog was dirty and still hot. Not refreshing at all. The backyard pool is your best option. Or a hose.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 AM

5,803 posts, read 5,300,701 times
In fact, dogs are not allowed in the canals or lakes in AZ. And I'd be concerned what they might pick up in there if they ingested the water.

Dogs and Hot Weather - Walking the Dog and Other Tips

Cosmo Park, or find a friend who will enjoy watching your dogs enjoy themselves in his/her pool as you do. You should bring the beer to say thank you.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:22 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,996,595 times
Stick to Lk Pleasant.

Go to google earth or some other map software. Follow the water from PIR upstream about 3 mi to 91st Ave. You will be able to see where the water is coming from. It's probably cleaner by the time it gets to PIR.

There is an interesting park there:

TRES RIOS WETLANDS LINKS

Old 08-02-2011, 10:11 AM

We've been to tres rios wetlands, but they are usually people fishing there...dont want to disturb their fishing with my babies splashing around! I think we will be heading up to lake pleasant

Old 08-02-2011, 01:58 PM

146 posts, read 228,602 times
I've never been to Lake Pleasant but wanted to take my dog as well. Are there isolated spots where a dog can be off leash and away from people? I couldn't find any info on the official website.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM

5,803 posts, read 5,300,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripper76 View Post
I've never been to Lake Pleasant but wanted to take my dog as well. Are there isolated spots where a dog can be off leash and away from people? I couldn't find any info on the official website.
As I previously explained, it is not legal for dogs to swim in the lakes in AZ, which includes lake pleasant; therefore, they are not going to set up special areas for dogs. People do it anyway.

In fairness to others and safety for the dogs, I wish people would take their dogs to proper dog parks, as we do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area