Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 10:43 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times

Advertisements

Bashas and Costco has the best Italian bread I have found in Arizona (you can find it freshly made daily)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,360 times
I like Basha's. Sometimes I'll go to Sunflower's but I stand by Basha's. Their cold cuts and freshly baked bread are AMAZINGLY GOOD! (And I do emphasize this!) Also, I support them to support the local economy since they are not as big a chain as Fresh N Easy or Safeway.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times
Thanks for the info, everyone. Sounds like I'll have more sources for good bread there than I do here.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
I'm getting ready to move from SC (with Publix) to NC (no Publix). Their breads are the best.

Re: Chicago Italian Bread and Chicago Rolls

Called "Chicago" because this is a common style found there. Light inside with crusty outside. Quite similar to Gonnella as I recall. Regular Italian has softer crust.

Publix baker said it's due to more oil and salt in Chicago style.

Look for something that says "crusty Italian" and you may be on the rright track.

Hope this helps

Old 05-13-2012, 04:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
You noobs need to get out and try some real bakery bread not some mass-produced stuff.

Here are some bakeries I HIGHLY recommend to try, for bread, pastries or otherwise.

Balkan Bakery-12th Street and Bell. Very fresh, tasty breads, just the smell of the place is enough to get my stomach doing backflips.

Balkan Bakery - Phoenix, AZ

Le Napoleon-Just south of 35th ave and Greenway. No breads really but some of the best tasting pastries I've ever had, the owner has 30+ years experience as a pastry chef and it shows, highly recommend the poppyseed cake roll.

Le Napoleon - Phoenix, AZ

Tammi Coe Cakes and MJ Bread-6th St and Roosevelt. Very yummy bread, great selection, also good pastries from a husband/wife couple.

Tammie Coe Cakes - Phoenix, AZ

Europa Pastry Cafe-16th St and Maryland. If you've got a craving for traditional Polish and Eastern European treats, this is your place, also features a selection of meats and ethnic products as well.

Europa Pastry Cafe - Phoenix, AZ

Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times
Thanks, cubfan1 and Juram.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I am from chicago and always went to Jewel, which is here, in the form of Albertsons. Maybe they might have some Chicago specialties??
The Albertsons name is actually used by two different companies. Albertsons stores in most states are owned by SuperValu (who also owns Jewel) except in Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Florida, which are owned by Albertsons LLC, who uses the Albertsons name under license from SuperValu.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:50 PM

196 posts, read 428,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan1 View Post
I'm getting ready to move from SC (with Publix) to NC (no Publix).
If you are moving to Charlotte- we are getting 2 right over the border in Tega Cay and Ft Mill- Cannot wait! I miss my AZ grocery store choices- there is only one decent one here and the produce is a joke and WAY overpriced.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM

595 posts, read 1,256,002 times
Default I've heard good things about the European bakery

Next to a 99 cents only store on 43rd Ave and Bell.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkElephant View Post
Next to a 99 cents only store on 43rd Ave and Bell.

That used to be owned by the guy who owns Le Napoleon now, he retired for awhile and opened up his new location just north of 35th and Greenway.

Went into the old bakery once after he left, saw that the lights were almost all off and there were Armenians hanging around, having a long-winded conversation without so much as giving me a glance in my direction, I walked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area