Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 PM

46 posts, read 99,552 times

Advertisements

I have a few of them up here in Illinois. Cities where if you want to take a large tree down ON YOUR PROPERTY you have to not only get a permit but also get a review from the village or city to determine if you can even remove it! I understand the need for permits for safety purposes such as putting in a electrical box or having a gas line put in underground. I was going through the City of Phoenix website and have to say I have some concerns about constant money for permits for projects that should not need them and living in a City that feels it owns a private property instead of the actual property owner.

Gas water heater replacement here in the IL town I am in always requires that a licensed plumber does the replacement but in Phoenix it seems you have to pay for a permit? Landscaping here requires permits for landscaping where you have bulldozers and grade leveling being done (large projects). As far as putting in trees and bushes as I understand it in Phoenix you have to have a review of what you are doing by a City board and have a permit issued. That is fricking outragous..what are we all doing just "renting" our property? Maybe I could be reading stuff wrong and was on a page of the City website intended for commercial develpment but I emailed the City to get more details and just want to find out from some on here what it is like?

When you want to redo your front or backyard do you get the permits and wait for review? I have to question if this is the case if I want to move to a City that acts more like communist russia then a City in America where personal freedom to do with your property what you want in terms of aesthetics should be up to the owner of the property. It just seems like some cities want to make excess money on permits for things that do not need permits and recieve more control in issues that should be under personal freedom. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:34 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,751,907 times
it's not that bad--compared with MVD, for example. I make property tax payments online, and can view payment history online. I can take care of water/sewer/trash online, and it was just reduced to 45 per month because I conserve. They base sewer fees on water use for jan-feb-march, and recalculate new rates that take effect on 7-01 every year.

No permit required for roof, fence, or hotwater heater.......the neighborhood association network is good to know.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 08-10-2011 at 09:44 PM..

Old 08-10-2011, 10:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,471,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wshw997 View Post
I have to question if this is the case if I want to move to a City that acts more like communist russia then a City in America where personal freedom to do with your property what you want in terms of aesthetics should be up to the owner of the property.
Yes, We are all pinkos! (at least those of us that live in HOA's)

Old 08-11-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Yes, We are all pinkos! (at least those of us that live in HOA's)
Well a HOA I can expect that from (that is why I would never want to live in one). I am just trying to figure out if the City of Phoenix is just as bad?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:34 AM

629 posts, read 1,695,676 times
While I strongly agree that the extortion of money from you by the worthless individuals that run the local government (who - I might add - only work for the government because their lack of drive and intelligence could not get them jobs in the private sector) is both offensive and an intrusion on your liberties - I'm not sure it could be classified as Communist. That said - screw the permits - EVERYTHING is legal (until you get caught).

Old 08-11-2011, 08:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,683,665 times
I doubt that it is as difficult in Phoenix as it was in northern CA. They had such a stupid tree ordinance which was that a tree committee would have to approve the removal of a pine tree in your yard, even though the damn things would crash into homes during storms and our forests were overgrown to the point of implosion. On top of it, you had to pay $25 per tree for removal.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 AM

38,959 posts, read 50,889,529 times
Yes, you will need to pull a permit to replace the water heater. I think that is true in all cities in the area. The reason should be obvious but in case it doesn't jump out at you, it is because a gas water heater can be lethal (explosions, fires, carbon monoxide) if not installed properly. The good news in AZ is that you can do the work yourself and do not have to hire a union contractor like in so many places. You can even plumb and wire your whole house yourself. You just have to do it correctly and have it checked when you are done.

That said, most people do not bother to get a permit for a water heater replacement.

As for the rest of your items like landscaping - never heard of that one. Some plants are banned because of allergies. Maybe that is it. I think that is wrong - I say let the allergy sufferers move out if they can't take it. It's not my problem. I want my olives!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:41 AM

2,200 posts, read 4,403,778 times
Most villages/towns/cities all across the country are like this and require such permits, etc. for doing these things. It doesn't make your village/town or Phoenix "communist"... that is a very, very ignorant generalization.

If you don't want to deal with the requirements like this to live in an incorporated municipality, then I suggest you look for places to live outside of a village, town, or city limits boundary.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:53 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,751,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes, you will need to pull a permit to replace the water heater. I think that is true in all cities in the area. The reason should be obvious but in case it doesn't jump out at you, it is because a gas water heater can be lethal (explosions, fires, carbon monoxide) if not installed properly. The good news in AZ is that you can do the work yourself and do not have to hire a union contractor like in so many places. You can even plumb and wire your whole house yourself. You just have to do it correctly and have it checked when you are done.

That said, most people do not bother to get a permit for a water heater replacement.

As for the rest of your items like landscaping - never heard of that one. Some plants are banned because of allergies. Maybe that is it. I think that is wrong - I say let the allergy sufferers move out if they can't take it. It's not my problem. I want my olives!
Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Phoenix Streamlines Permit Process, Offers Relief to Developers and Residents
No permit required if installed by registered contractor.

My neighbor mentioned something about illegal plants/trees so there is something to that.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Most villages/towns/cities all across the country are like this and require such permits, etc. for doing these things. It doesn't make your village/town or Phoenix "communist"... that is a very, very ignorant generalization.

If you don't want to deal with the requirements like this to live in an incorporated municipality, then I suggest you look for places to live outside of a village, town, or city limits boundary.
Very ignorant generalization? It is important to understand that when you buy a property you OWN it and it is not the property of the City. Listen I understand the need for safety inspections and permits etc. But when any government rather it be municipal, county, state says "we don't like that kind of plant or tree or that kind of landscaping" because of the way it looks that is near communism in my opinion.

I would not want to live in a City, State, County or Country that dictates what I do with my own property in terms of looks..it is NONE of their business. A homeowner is just that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area