U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:11 PM

21 posts, read 30,374 times
Default Areas with Scorpions

I read this thread and created this list. Feel free to add to it (areas where you've seen scorpions or have heard about...)

Warner Ranch, Tempe

Val Vista Lakes Gilbert
Lakeside and west side of Val Vista Road

Arrowhead
And Sierra Verde

The islands Gilbert

Near foothills or desert, or backing a green belt

Newly-constructed homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 04:38 PM

15,858 posts, read 18,609,065 times
Everywhere! They live everywhere whether someone has seen them or not. I'm sorry, but it is just silly (or wishful thinking) to believe one subdivision has them while another does not, or one side of a street does while the other does not. Scorpions are just as much part of the desert here as are cactus. You cannot find a place where there is no chance of encountering them.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-11-2011 at 04:49 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 05:30 PM

105 posts, read 160,749 times
I agree with Ponderosa. Some ppl are lucky not to have seen any, whilst some see them quite regularly. As I've stated before, I've seen one in the house in 3 years, and I would be naive to believe there aren't more where that one came from.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM

6,066 posts, read 7,718,054 times
You'll find them everywhere. This is their territory.

Anytime a new tree is brought into a community, it can bring some scorpions hitching a ride.

I've seen scorpions in a lot of homes throughout the valley. I've seen one at my home in Val Vista Lakes during the past 7 years.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:00 AM

42 posts, read 52,560 times
I am yet to see any. In my previous place, I saw none, a friend a few roads up was seeing them every day more or less!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 AM

478 posts, read 164,593 times
I've spent a whole 18 days in phoenix and have spotted two of them. One in my house and one outside my house my neighbor says he hunts them by black light in the driveway at night.

I haven't told my wife that I found one in the house.

It should be fun if I find one next week.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM

124 posts, read 362,358 times
LOL!!! My husband says the same thing....isn't there an area with no scorpions and snakes??? I told him NOPE...this is their natural habitat and why the hell did we move here if you hate them so much...sheesh. He really is a wuss...just spray the heck out of your house and don't go outside barefoot...He really does love it here....just hates those 2 things.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM

4,931 posts, read 2,201,010 times
Well, of course they are everywhere but there is a difference when you are dealing with an infestation of them. Some homes have them inside the walls and when this is the case you see them a heck of a lot more often then just having them outside in the area getting in once in a while. You see them daily in the summer if they are breeding in your walls.

Some homes have them built in during construction. They come in on lumber and in pipes and you get a built in infestation. Especially when building materials sit on job sites for a while that have them outside already. You could have them and your neighbor could not depending on a few things. They don't travel very far.

As for areas, or hot spots.
Scorpion Hot Spots in the Valley - KTAR.com
There are a few in this article. But, don't be fooled, there are more areas with them around than the ones listed here. This thread is a good start.

Last edited by PoppySead; 08-12-2011 at 09:51 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 AM

4,931 posts, read 2,201,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
I've spent a whole 18 days in phoenix and have spotted two of them. One in my house and one outside my house my neighbor says he hunts them by black light in the driveway at night.

I haven't told my wife that I found one in the house.

It should be fun if I find one next week.
Well, if you've seen that many in 18 days and your neighbor is hunting with a black light then you shall surely find one next week, and the week after that, and the week after that. Activity will be a slowing down when it gets colder. Until then, happy times for you trying to keep your wife from finding one.
Hope you rent, you can escape them next year. Make sure you check out the area first for scorpion infestations before your wife makes you move.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,718,054 times
Have a pest control company come and spray to get rid of their food source.

Or you can go and buy the spray yourself at a Bug and Weed store. They will spend time telling you how to use the chemicals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area