Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I lived on a mountain, 50 miles from Canada, in No. Idaho for five years. I know the kind of winters you're talking about but I don't think they lasted 8-9 months. We usually got our first snow around Halloween and by Thanksgiving we could no longer drive all the way to our cabin. It got deeper and colder, and pretty much stayed that way, till around the first of May! So, a good 6-7 months that always FELT like 8-9! Been all over NW MT and I love the area.
Well, when you get your last snow sometime in the first two weeks of June and your first one (in the park) mid/late August that looks like about 8-9 months to me. You're correct that it may not "snow" for 8-9 months but it's certainly COLD,overcast (inversions are worse than snow imo) and at least rainy that long.
I remember one Halloween when we were out doing the kid thing and it was 7 degrees without the wind chill factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 10:05 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well, when you get your last snow sometime in the first two weeks of June and your first one (in the park) mid/late August that looks like about 8-9 months to me. You're correct that it may not "snow" for 8-9 months but it's certainly COLD,overcast (inversions are worse than snow imo) and at least rainy that long.
I remember one Halloween when we were out doing the kid thing and it was 7 degrees without the wind chill factor.
The latest snow that I can remember was on June 9, 1994. I had JUST got my entire garden in and we had a HUGE, and very WET, snow. I remember standing on my deck thinking my garden was ruined! All I lost was a couple of tomatoes and bell peppers but it took the small trees a long time to straighten up. lol To me, being a desert born and raised Desert Brat, it was always too cold and wet up there.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 AM

475 posts, read 814,338 times
Snowflakes have been spotted in Calgary during the Stampede.......that's the second week of July.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:29 PM

56 posts, read 236,458 times
I'm really irritated that I've had a nasty cold for over a week and I can't go outside and enjoy the weather!! And bummed that it'll be in the 90s again next week. I've had my air conditioning completely turned off for 3 days!

Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM

20 posts, read 38,811 times
Default Feeling Good now!

I'm enjoying our 80+ degree days this week.....just awesome! Sure, the heat sucks, but you gotta love our mild winters, with no snow, plenty of outdoor activities, 70 degree days, and stuff like that. Heck, sometimes I wonder why our school years are the standard august-may, making the kids spend a summer bored indoors for their break, watching tv and playing video games!

We should have school years that give 'em the nice months off!

Old 10-11-2011, 09:42 AM

570 posts, read 1,752,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesT View Post
I'm enjoying our 80+ degree days this week.....just awesome! Sure, the heat sucks, but you gotta love our mild winters, with no snow, plenty of outdoor activities, 70 degree days, and stuff like that. Heck, sometimes I wonder why our school years are the standard august-may, making the kids spend a summer bored indoors for their break, watching tv and playing video games!

You got it. Dec - Mar are great!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesT View Post

that right, why have the freaken summer months to sit around the house. I grew up in Washington, and we spent our summers outside in the most awesome weather in the USA. I feel sorry for my little boy.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM

289 posts, read 750,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
that right, why have the freaken summer months to sit around the house. I grew up in Washington, and we spent our summers outside in the most awesome weather in the USA.
Most awesome 2 months of the year....hopefully.

I was wearing a coat the last 2 4th of July's in Wa.

They really should change the school schedule here though....agreed.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmmac View Post
Most awesome 2 months of the year....hopefully.

I was wearing a coat the last 2 4th of July's in Wa.

They really should change the school schedule here though....agreed.
I like the year round concept, they get more breaks (chandler) during the school year for family vacations. Not the best plan, but much better than the traditional Gilbert AZ School District Plan.

Ill take wearing a coat in July over burning my rear off in my car in July...but thats just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area