Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:48 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Google "police imposter" for about 10,000 true stories of it happening across the country.
That would be 10,000 links. Totally different, and nowhere close to a good measure of how common police imposters are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 06:26 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
That would be 10,000 links. Totally different, and nowhere close to a good measure of how common police imposters are.
Ask any woman if you're right.

Any cop that gets angry that she did not pull over for his unmarked vehicle is a bully....and maybe worse.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Ask any woman if you're right.
Gender has no bearing on the validity of the claim that getting 10,000 google hits on two words means you have found 10,000 true stories of police impersonators. By that logic there are 10,000 hurricanes that just hit the East Coast.

Look I don't doubt there have been police impersonators, and I'm sure many have committed horrible crimes, but it is extremely rare and IMO hardly a reason to pull all unmarked police cars off the streets.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,100,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Gender has no bearing on the validity of the claim that getting 10,000 google hits on two words means you have found 10,000 true stories of police impersonators. By that logic there are 10,000 hurricanes that just hit the East Coast.

Look I don't doubt there have been police impersonators, and I'm sure many have committed horrible crimes, but it is extremely rare and IMO hardly a reason to pull all unmarked police cars off the streets.
Logic vs Intuition IMO. Each case would be held up on it's merits. My point is that (and I live in Alaska where we have many unmarked cars) being pulled over by a vehicle with a light requires caution. As a man I feel that I can handle myself (and I am armed) but for a woman she must be more careful. That is just the way it is.

I don't think that I am suggesting to pull the unmarked cars off the system and I agree with you that they prevent crime. I think what I objected to is that a police officer would object to a citizen taking precautions when alerted that a car with a red light is demanding that you move over. Here are steps to follow:

If a person is concerned.

Drive to a well lit public area where there are people. Gas stations are ideal.

Call the police dispatcher from your cell phone and explain that you are being stopped by an unmarked car if you are not near a populated area.

When you do get pulled over keep your doors locked and open your window enough to request the identification of the officer.

Inspect the ID carefully and compare it to the person standing at your window. If there is a discrepancy do not comply with the person, leave your doors locked and call 911.

If the person attempts to get into your vehicle, drive towards a populated area rapidly. You will have at least a 10 second head start. That is what a gas pedal is for.

If the person breaks your window you have the right to defend yourself by whatever means you have at your disposal.

Most police officers are courteous and astute. Be prepared for the ones who is not or the imposter who with your smarts will be in jail soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area