Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:57 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times

Advertisements

Last week, I had to attend a seminar at my company HQs downtown. I work in Tempe, but I decided to avoid the freeways and take the surface streets. Big mistake! I missed my right turn (light rail has made it more difficult to turn right onto Central from Washington), and got all turned around. Finally, when I turned right onto a two way street, an unmarked car was behind me flashing its lights. I was very reluctant to pull over because there was absolutely no indication that this was a cop car. I finally pulled over and started to call Phoenix Police on my cell phone. By that time, the uniformed officer had come to my window asking me why I took a long time to pull over. I told him that he was driving an unmarked car, and I had no warning that he was a true police officer.

Anyway, he ended up giving me a ticket for turning right onto a street where right turns were prohibited. Admittedly, this is my responsibility and I will be attending traffic school to erase this from my record ... however, I don't like the fact that cops are patrolling the streets in unmarked cars. As far as I'm concerned, this is very risky for both the police and the drivers. Anybody could equip a car with flashing lights and pretend to be a cop ... and there have been incidents in the past where people have been pulled over by unmarked cars, except the would be officers were NOT true cops! Needless to say, the drivers ended up being victims of serious crimes.

Wondering if anybody else had any experiences with these unmarked patrol cars, and if they are patrolling other parts of Phoenix as well. Also, what is the purpose of these unmarked vehicles when it increases the chances of drivers being reluctant to pull over and take this as a serious traffic stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 08:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
I'd be questioning it too but the chances are pretty slim on a busy downtown street in broad daylight of a criminal posing as the police.

If you live in Tempe consider taking the light rail next time. Downtown is not friendly for motorized vehicles when you add up the cost of pay-parking and risking tickets for any wrong turn you make.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
I've seen unmarked police cars in every major city in which I've worked... I don't think they're uncommon.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 AM

91 posts, read 246,252 times
Unmarked police cars are common any where, even small cities. I believe they have several different purposes, one is that they are unmarked so people will drive how they normally would, speeding, running lights, etc. Or people on the street are also unsuspecting so they go about their business so it is easier for the police to go unnoticed so they can catch someone in a crime. Personally I spot these just as quickly as a regular cop car. If you look at the car there will be at least 2 antennas that are visible on the car that are right next to each other. You did the right thing by trying to contact police to be sure you are being pulled over by an actual officer. Just make sure that you get the verification before you pull over, and if you can't do that drive to a very public place. The police have to allow you to do so.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
I had a friend who was pulled over by an unmarked car and the cop was not in uniform. My friend was speeding in the extreme, which is why the internal affairs cop pulled him over. He called a uniformed officer to the scene to make the arrest and deal with the whole thing. But I'd be sorely tempted to take off, if, after being pulled over by an unmarked car, the guy who got out of it was in street clothes.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:48 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
I see them all over the east valley.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Whether he's "patrolling" or not, he's on duty, and I would not expect him to ignore someone going the wrong way on a one way street just because he's in an unmarked car. Agree with the poster that the last place someone pretending to be a cop would be is downtown in broad daylight.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:54 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
I agree with the majority here . . . LOTS of unmarked Cop Cars.

Down here I've personally witnessed all types of unmarked police vehicles including newer and older Cameros, Pick-Up Trucks and even Hummers. Not certain but I believe many, if not all, are "seized" vehicles from previous criminal actions.

Unmarked vehicles serve a very positive purpose as there are far too many individuals out there who only respect and honor the Laws when they're being watched.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:56 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Unmarked vehicles serve a very positive purpose as there are far too many individuals out there who only respect and honor the Laws when they're being watched.
Ditto for cops, which is why they have dash cams.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Ditto for cops, which is why they have dash cams.
Very valid point, Rick, they work both ways.

Also, "Police Abuse" charges have been greatly reduced once the "Po Me Victim" realizes dash cams are in operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area