Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:19 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_A_Woman View Post
There are a lot of professionals in the Phoenix areas. Oh, wait, thats already been said!
As far as social life, though, that too, would lean more towards the cities too, not much going in in the smaller towns. We have a couple of redneck bars and a pool hall....but that probably will change real soon, with that new mall going up!
LOL @ L_A_Woman

Rumor has it that Casa Grande will have THREE REDNECK BARS by the end of the year! ! ! ! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 10:32 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdworker View Post
I'm considering moving to Phoenix, from a mid-sized midwestern city. I had my heart set on it for awhile, and now I'm having doubts that maybe other places could be better...

I have two questions, for anyone who could please help me out.

Are there a lot of good job opportunities for young professionals, in the
25- 35 age range?

Is Phoenix a good place to meet other young professionals (being a bit more honest, the singles scene)?

Other things a Phoenix newbie might need to know? Any other favorite cities to recommend, based on my two questions above?

Thanks!
Phoenix is a sunbelt city without the major corporate headquarters and major business climate of other sunbelt cities (i.e. Houston, Atlanta, Dallas, etc). I originally moved to Phoenix from Washington DC and I can't stress how different the two places are. Even apart from the lack of city feel in Phoenix, the general attitude toward work and professionalism in Phoenix stinks. People rarely wear suits, in fact wearing a suit in Phoenix you look out of place. Most jobs are either related to the real estate industry (mainly residential real estate) or are mid to low level support jobs in companies that have satellite offices in Phoenix. Not exactly the place where you are going to be rubbing shoulders with executives of the company. Phoenix is a resort and tourist town mainly so take that for what it's worth.

I eventually left and gave up on the place for various reasons. But, some people seemed to like the place. I think if you are from a smaller town in the midwest, younger people who come to Phoenix seem to think it's the big city. I guess if your idea of a city is Des Moines or Lincoln, Phoenix would be a step up. But, you are not going to get the real young professional feeling you would get in a place like Chicago, San Fran, Washington, NYC, Boston or even places like Atlanta, Houston or Dallas. Phoenix is really a place for retirees or people close to retirement who want to work as little as possible and then drive home to their house on the edge of BFE and sit in their pool.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 PM

26 posts, read 104,395 times
To Michigander in AZ,
What is the job market like for legal secretaries in Michigan? I notice you are from Grand Rapids. I was just wondering in case my daughter ups and leaves with my only grandson and moves to Michigan to get married. How is the job market there? I am a "young' 45 year old single female and work as a legal secretary. Not leaving yet but might do so in future,

Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
OP and other concerned about the dating scene for men, there's plenty of somewhat young, hot, unattached women in the PHX area. Just hangout with your buds, workout at a decent sized gym and do grocery shopping and you shouldn't have any problem meeting these women. I found the women to be open and friendly and not really shy. They'll look you in your eye and kind of let you know they're interested. The thing I liked about the singles scene in PHX as opposed to where in live now in Raliegh-Durham is that you will find a lot more unattached, cool, non-flaky, hot women in PHX. Plus they let you know in one way or another that they're interested. That's a plus.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,030 times
phx is ranked the 15th best city for singles

Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,437 times
Now THATS what I'd like to hear. Single, hot women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area