Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM

717 posts, read 1,050,446 times

Advertisements

On my recent visit to Phoenix, the thing I was most excited to see was the impact of all of the changes currently happening downtown. I had heard such good things lately from friends and family about how light rail and cityscape had really breathed life back into downtown. Unfortunately, what I actually experienced left me feeling pretty let down.

Most of downtown still feels empty and lonely, and as far as I could tell, Cityscape is just another pseudo-urban mall project with a plethora of generic suburban chains. It was also perplexingly closed off to the street in many places. There was little-to-no in-fill in the surrounding buildings, and the streets remained quiet and fairly empty. And, as expected, it was still far too hot to be out walking around in the middle of the day.

Overall, I was left feeling that in spite of its struggles in recent years, Mill Ave in Tempe remains essentially the lone feather in the Valley's urban cap. Downtown PHX still feels largely sterile, deserted, bland, and uninviting. It's way past time for city planners to stop building generic malls in their efforts to revitalize downtown. It's time to UTILIZE EXISTING SPACES to create a diverse and unique urban fabric. Construct sky bridges to link buildings and combat the heat, take advantage of the beautiful, historic, and largely empty buildings downtown. Open things up to the street. Create retail/dining districts using city blocks, not singular buildings. And while you're at it, stop constructing everything out of depressing gray concrete.

Ultimately, I guess I'm still holding out hope that maybe things are finally starting to change, but I simply couldn't shake the feeling that it was all just more of the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 PM

240 posts, read 834,990 times
Here is the link to the "contact us" page for the Phoenix mayor: Official Site of the City of Phoenix - Contact Mayor Gordon

Old 08-27-2011, 03:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,201,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
On my recent visit to Phoenix, the thing I was most excited to see was the impact of all of the changes currently happening downtown. I had heard such good things lately from friends and family about how light rail and cityscape had really breathed life back into downtown. Unfortunately, what I actually experienced left me feeling pretty let down.

Most of downtown still feels empty and lonely, and as far as I could tell, Cityscape is just another pseudo-urban mall project with a plethora of generic suburban chains. It was also perplexingly closed off to the street in many places. There was little-to-no in-fill in the surrounding buildings, and the streets remained quiet and fairly empty. And, as expected, it was still far too hot to be out walking around in the middle of the day.

Overall, I was left feeling that in spite of its struggles in recent years, Mill Ave in Tempe remains essentially the lone feather in the Valley's urban cap. Downtown PHX still feels largely sterile, deserted, bland, and uninviting. It's way past time for city planners to stop building generic malls in their efforts to revitalize downtown. It's time to UTILIZE EXISTING SPACES to create a diverse and unique urban fabric. Construct sky bridges to link buildings and combat the heat, take advantage of the beautiful, historic, and largely empty buildings downtown. Open things up to the street. Create retail/dining districts using city blocks, not singular buildings. And while you're at it, stop constructing everything out of depressing gray concrete.

Ultimately, I guess I'm still holding out hope that maybe things are finally starting to change, but I simply couldn't shake the feeling that it was all just more of the same.
Until the economy picks up, all those vacant existing buildings are going to stay that way. I'm not seeing all the "depressing gray concrete" in the new construction, so I'm not sure what you refer to.

NO city with the summer climate Phoenix has is going to have a bustling downtown during the day with or without expensive "sky bridges". There are more people downtown in the daytime than there used to be, but, it could be better, and it will be-- but the money isn't out there right now to fill in all that empty square footage.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:58 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,920,751 times
Phoenix is not New York City, Chicago or Philadelphia. It never was and it never will be (likely). It's a different baby. My uncle has said it's vastly different from the downtown he knew in the late 70s. It's changing by Phoenix standards. It's not much if you're expecting glitz and glamor. Maybe it will one day.

As stated above the economy is also in a slump and it will have an impact on what is happening today and what will happen tomorrow.

Downtown Phoenix is not a hip 'n' happening place like some other cities but I like it just fine.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:15 PM

72 posts, read 136,757 times
There are some interesting places at downtown area, but they are scattered here and there. You need to have a good guide who know what you like and where there is one to lead you, otherwise you will definitely be disappointed. For example, looking at places along the lightrail can get you mostly the tasteless stores, because under current condition, the ones you are interested in are just priced out of the most convenient location, unless they've already been there, have a long term lease and has done pretty well in business.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 PM

8,023 posts, read 12,171,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
NO city with the summer climate Phoenix has is going to have a bustling downtown during the day with or without expensive "sky bridges". There are more people downtown in the daytime than there used to be, but, it could be better, and it will be-- but the money isn't out there right now to fill in all that empty square footage.
Sorry, but I consider the summer heat somewhat of a lame excuse for why downtown lacks the hustle & bustle. We keep hearing about how our heat isn't so bad because it's dry ... and quite honestly, the heat is really bad for only three or four months out of the year. July & August are usually the worst months for anybody to be outside here ... but on the other hand, December through February are bad as far as the extreme cold in cities like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, etc. Their downtowns are lively and active, so it's obvious the harsh weather isn't a deterring factor for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Phoenix is not New York City, Chicago or Philadelphia. It never was and it never will be (likely). It's a different baby. My uncle has said it's vastly different from the downtown he knew in the late 70s. It's changing by Phoenix standards. It's not much if you're expecting glitz and glamor. Maybe it will one day.

As stated above the economy is also in a slump and it will have an impact on what is happening today and what will happen tomorrow.

Downtown Phoenix is not a hip 'n' happening place like some other cities but I like it just fine.
I agree that Phoenix's downtown will never be like New York or Chicago, and we don't really need it to be. We are a western city that grew at a different pace, and our downtown has (at times) been compared to L.A. Talk about a large city with a dead downtown for many years: Los Angeles hardly had any skyscrapers until the 1980s or 1990s, and their downtown was practically dead after sundown as well.

L.A. has made significant strides and improved their central area in the last few decades, but a big reason for that was they could no longer grow outward, so they had to expand more vertically. Someday, Phoenix will be in the same boat ... and if we want to continue to grow, it will have to be upward. Several Valley cities (especially Tempe) are already at points of buildout, and must build vertically if they want to continue to grow & prosper.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM

38,959 posts, read 50,889,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sorry, but I consider the summer heat somewhat of a lame excuse for why downtown lacks the hustle & bustle. We keep hearing about how our heat isn't so bad because it's dry ... and quite honestly, the heat is really bad for only three or four months out of the year. July & August are usually the worst months for anybody to be outside here ... but on the other hand, December through February are bad as far as the extreme cold in cities like New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, etc. Their downtowns are lively and active, so it's obvious the harsh weather isn't a deterring factor for them.

I agree that Phoenix's downtown will never be like New York or Chicago, and we don't really need it to be. We are a western city that grew at a different pace, and our downtown has (at times) been compared to L.A. Talk about a large city with a dead downtown for many years: Los Angeles hardly had any skyscrapers until the 1980s or 1990s, and their downtown was practically dead after sundown as well.

L.A. has made significant strides and improved their central area in the last few decades, but a big reason for that was they could no longer grow outward, so they had to expand more vertically. Someday, Phoenix will be in the same boat ... and if we want to continue to grow, it will have to be upward. Several Valley cities (especially Tempe) are already at points of buildout, and must build vertically if they want to continue to grow & prosper.
The difference, of course, is that people live in the downtowns of those cities. Many don't even own cars. Where else would they go? Downtown Phoenix, on the other hand, has few residents and has to compete as an attraction with all of the other attractions in the area. As an attraction it is a flop and always has been in spite of one goofy "redevelopment" after another. No residents, no life. It is as simple as that.

I would like to see development efforts that reflect the reality of our sprawl. Build the attractions where the people actually live and based on sales and patterns of growth want to live - in the suburbs.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:19 PM

932 posts, read 1,955,827 times
I've always liked Downtown Phoenix. The fact that I can walk to the same amount of attractions within several blocks than I can drive to within several miles is saying something. This revitalization will take a long time do to get anywhere near Denver, Portland, or Seattle, and it's a learning time to see what works and what doesn't. We found out condo's aren't working in this market, done. A few high-rise buildings converted to apartments, now they are nearing being completely leased. An influx of resturants, stores, and entertainment venues from a comedy club to a new lounge and concert place in October, downtown is being pieced together one by one. Who know's, the OP might have second thoughts 5 years from now.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM

52 posts, read 140,077 times
Last time I check there are couple of new developments:

-Westin Downtown Phoenix opened a couple months ago
-ASU is going to build a new Apartment complex downtown around 4th Street and Roosevelt Street.
-Biomedical Campus is going to open its first phase in 2012.

This is a good way for people to live and explore Downtown. It will take time for Downtown to be in full swing, especially with the current economy.

I wish there were more entertainment venues and nightlife venues like Broadway Street in Nashville or 6th Street in Austin.

Its unfortunate that Jackson Street Entertainment District will not happen.

Old 08-28-2011, 11:09 PM

52 posts, read 140,077 times
In a few months, Hotel Palomar will open its doors in Cityscape. Hopefully, it will bring more life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area