U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 12:43 PM

453 posts, read 1,535,424 times

Advertisements

What would you do in this situation: I rent a nice home and since turning air conditoner on in May, it has not worked properly. The house never gets below 80-85 degrees. The landlord refused to replace it because she wanted home warranty company to replace it. They wouldn't until it finally broke in late July. Well, it was replaced, still not working, 3 servicemen out, all 3 say duct work is shot, warranty company not fixing it, she refuses to replace it, and my electric bills for a 1300 sq foot house is June $483, July $555, August $470. I have repeatedly told her about this but she acts as if I am complaining and have no right to. I cannot afford to just up and find another place to live especially paying these high electric bills. I have called the attorney general with no help, called attorney's with no help, they all tell me the same thing, move, but how do you do that if you can't afford to?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:41 PM

44 posts, read 116,996 times
http://www.azag.gov/civil_rights/Ten...sibilities.pdf

See page 13. What was your electric prior to the hot months? Subtract that from what you are paying and deduct from the rent. A/c is a necessity and she needs to ensure it is functioning properly otherwise it's illegal.

I would call a real estate agent that specializes in rentals or a professional property management company to talk to them about solutions and advice. They may be more helpful than an attorney.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:47 PM

is the home less than a year old or does she just have an additional warranty on it? Is the warranty through the builder? Sorry for all the questions but unless it's the builder's warranty, the ductwork may not be covered. Regardless, She is illegal as a landlord and none of that is your problem anyway. You have every right to complain. Keep us posted!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:12 PM

710 posts, read 3,180,278 times
Here's the link to the replies from kind-hearted CD folks who helped you out the last time you asked this exact same question. If nothing's different, and despite the advice of many, you haven't managed to fix the problem, perhaps you should indeed move.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ning-help.html

Old 08-27-2011, 06:32 PM

6,340 posts, read 13,191,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cksmom View Post
is the home less than a year old or does she just have an additional warranty on it? Is the warranty through the builder? Sorry for all the questions but unless it's the builder's warranty, the ductwork may not be covered. Regardless, She is illegal as a landlord and none of that is your problem anyway. You have every right to complain. Keep us posted!
The op's last thread mentioned the a/c unit was nearly 30 years old - presumably the house was that age or older.

a $500 bill could almost be "normal" for a house of that vintage that hasn't been updated with better insulation - I'd expect a $300 bill if everything was "perfect".

it could also be due to being on the wrong power "plan"...

Using an electric dryer during "peak" hours could pump the bill up,

it could be leaky ductwork, but if there were obvious tears or major damage to the ductwork, presumably the 3 contractors who've been in the house would have noticed that, and the op would have mentioned it. Standard "flex duct" isn't terribly expensive or hard to replace, if it had any real damage, the cost of a service call would exceed the value of a replacement duct. (8" duct is about $40 for a 25 foot piece)...

Just commenting that the ductwork is "old" doesn't say much - steel ductwork could last indefinitely, and flex duct doesn't have an expiration date - my own house has 25+ year old flex duct in the attic and it's fine.

I think it's probably time to move. The landlord obviously doesn't care to update the house, and you've seen how great our consumer protection laws are.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:20 PM

773 posts, read 1,233,329 times
I agree with what someone else posted about AC being a necessity and if the landlord doesn't want to fix the machine, you should be getting the difference in money wasted deducted from your rent.

We went through something a lil similar in the last house we rented, where the A/C wasn't pumping enough cold air in the summer and then eventually, no cold air, and our A/C bills were way too high. The property managers had to send out 3 a/c men over the entire year to fix/repair it. First it was filled with freon, then it was completely replaced, then the air was just hot again. At that point, they decided the ducts had a bad layout and the air just wasn't getting through the whole house. Despite all that, we decided staying in that house when our lease was up wasn't worth it cause the a/c system would probably have issues again.

It certainly helps if the places you rent are controlled by a property manager instead of directly with a rude landlord who doesn't care about her tenants. I suppose you have two choices: wait out the summer and the high a/c bills until you don't need the a/c on anymore, then get out of there when your lease is up. OR, if you can move, despite how expensive you think it would be, will it really be that much more expensive compared to all the excess $$ you're losing on that stupid a/c?

Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 AM

the bottom line is that the op should be able to cool his house below 80 degrees if he wants/needs. And we are new here but electric bills that high for that size of house seems off. The a/c should be functioning properly and his unit should not be running constantly even in these temps. The landlord has a legal responsibility to maintain it properly. Moving is not sound advice as it's expensive and she will just do this to the next tenant. Again, talk to a professional residential property manager for advice. Any worth their salt should be able to spend a few minutes on the phone with you. They will know all the AZ tenant laws AND will have some insight as to what your power bill *should* be for the size and location of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area