U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM

22 posts, read 28,917 times
Default Stopping annexation of Anthem?

The City Of Phoenix is slated to annex Anthem by 2020 according to the General Plan.

I am among a group of Anthem residents deadset against the City annexing Anthem; however, there is no organized movement to prevent this from happening.

We want Anthem to remain a separate quiet suburban community like it was originally intended to be, and do not wish to have anything to do with the City whatsoever. Eventually we would like to incorporate and have our own fire, police, water, and garbage services.

Many of my neighbors have no strong opinion one way or the other and do not have any interest in getting involved.

Does anybody on this site live in Anthem; and if so, are there any other residents opposed to annexation? We want to join a strong citizens movement that will fight the overpowering Phoenix City Hall and stop them from swallowing up our peaceful enclave here in northern Maricopa County.

Please help, thank you.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:53 AM

3,482 posts, read 4,486,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthem man View Post
The City Of Phoenix is slated to annex Anthem by 2020 according to the General Plan.

I am among a group of Anthem residents deadset against the City annexing Anthem; however, there is no organized movement to prevent this from happening.

We want Anthem to remain a separate quiet suburban community like it was originally intended to be, and do not wish to have anything to do with the City whatsoever. Eventually we would like to incorporate and have our own fire, police, water, and garbage services.

Many of my neighbors have no strong opinion one way or the other and do not have any interest in getting involved.

Does anybody on this site live in Anthem; and if so, are there any other residents opposed to annexation? We want to join a strong citizens movement that will fight the overpowering Phoenix City Hall and stop them from swallowing up our peaceful enclave here in northern Maricopa County.

Please help, thank you.
This is news to me. I had no idea that Phoenix was considering annexing Anthem into the city limits. In that case, you are absolutely correct. Anthem should strive to be its own separate city, and not have to deal with the bureaucracy of being yet another district in the city of Phoenix. Anthem is a far flung suburb, and it should stay that way. I'm pretty sure many Anthem residents share your views in that you like being separated from the city.

Phoenix and other Valley cities need to quit gulping up so much land. There is enough empty land in the far nothern reaches to develop before any further annexation attempts are made, so they should quit while they're ahead. The city of Phoenix is already over 500 square miles ... it does NOT need to increase its area/square mileage size any further!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:27 AM

3,030 posts, read 3,837,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Phoenix and other Valley cities need to quit gulping up so much land. There is enough empty land in the far nothern reaches to develop before any further annexation attempts are made, so they should quit while they're ahead. The city of Phoenix is already over 500 square miles ... it does NOT need to increase its area/square mileage size any further!
for the record, Buckeye has 591 square miles inside it's city limits - for a population of 50,000 residents.

Buckeye, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is all related to how tax revenue is collected and distributed in Arizona - Phoenix doesn't want Anthem's houses inside the city limits - they want the sales tax revenue from your stores & businesses.

The general plan was adopted in 2002 - which was a completely different world economically - general plans often have lofty & unobtainable goals - it's "all hat, no cattle" for the most part.

Enjoy your town, and don't pop an artery prematurely - the best way to avoid annexation is to incorporate yourselves... but that would likely involve tax increases... good luck with that here...

Old 08-31-2011, 02:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,922,297 times
Anthem will be annexed by Phoenix as part of the general plan. Its a done deal.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:09 PM

1,038 posts, read 2,112,605 times
Anthem was slated to be annexed by the city even BEFORE it was constructed. It was planned all along, and I think it's all but impossible to prevent this from happening. If it were, Anthem would need to incorporate on its own and form its own government, as it should not continue to exist on unincorporated county land.

As a benefit of annexation: Your services will be better and more reliable. Emergency response services, in particular. Always a good thing.

As always, people should be diligent and do the research before they buy somewhere. Try to know what's happening before you move in and try to change something.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:15 PM

16,908 posts, read 19,994,502 times
I fail to see how PHX annexing would change the character of Anthem. PHX annexed Ahwatukee when I lived there and my taxes went up, though. Maybe that is the real objection of those opposed.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:53 AM

3,482 posts, read 4,486,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I fail to see how PHX annexing would change the character of Anthem. PHX annexed Ahwatukee when I lived there and my taxes went up, though. Maybe that is the real objection of those opposed.
If some of us had our way, Ahwatukee would have remained a separate town ... just as Anthem should. When you think about it, both Ahwatukee & Anthem are so far removed from the main corpse of Phoenix that they seem like separate cities as they are. The only difference is that Ahwatukee is older and more established, whereas Anthem is new by comparison.

On the same note, many years ago, I would have ended the northern end of Phoenix's city limits at the preserves about where North Mountain & Piestewa Peak are. Anything north of there should have been separate suburban communities ... Deer Valley, Moon Valley, and the PV area could have easily been separate cities that, depending on the willingness of the citizens, would have been allowed to incorporate and create their own forms of municipal gov't.

The way I see it, allowing Phoenix to keep gulping up all this land and annexing the smaller communities is just creating bigger government and more bureaucracy. Phoenix's municipal gov't is already oversized. Aside from that, the city's land area is already 500 square miles, and that's large enough as it is. Why in the world does Phoenix need to keep annexing northward? I see no purpose other than a grab at more tax revenue. It would not change the character of Anthem, as you correctly stated ... nor would it improve their quality of life. So I say leave well enough alone in this case.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM

478 posts, read 200,456 times
Too many separate municipal governments in one area lead to a duplication of services and inefficiencies. I see no difference between Anthem and the communities directly south which are just inside the Phoenix limit.

Well..there is one difference.....the Anthem shopping malls are EMPTY.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Anthem will be annexed by Phoenix as part of the general plan. Its a done deal.

Why is it a done deal, because the high n mighty big wigs at the Phoenix City Hall said so?

You know there is such a thing as fighting City Hall, it has been done before and citizens have won the fights. The problem is too few people are willing to stand up against an overpowering City Goverment.

I blame myself and many other Anthem residents in part for not getting involved sooner. 2020 is not too far away timewise.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
If some of us had our way, Ahwatukee would have remained a separate town ... just as Anthem should. When you think about it, both Ahwatukee & Anthem are so far removed from the main corpse of Phoenix that they seem like separate cities as they are. The only difference is that Ahwatukee is older and more established, whereas Anthem is new by comparison.

On the same note, many years ago, I would have ended the northern end of Phoenix's city limits at the preserves about where North Mountain & Piestewa Peak are. Anything north of there should have been separate suburban communities ... Deer Valley, Moon Valley, and the PV area could have easily been separate cities that, depending on the willingness of the citizens, would have been allowed to incorporate and create their own forms of municipal gov't.

The way I see it, allowing Phoenix to keep gulping up all this land and annexing the smaller communities is just creating bigger government and more bureaucracy. Phoenix's municipal gov't is already oversized. Aside from that, the city's land area is already 500 square miles, and that's large enough as it is. Why in the world does Phoenix need to keep annexing northward? I see no purpose other than a grab at more tax revenue. It would not change the character of Anthem, as you correctly stated ... nor would it improve their quality of life. So I say leave well enough alone in this case.

It's because the City wants more $$$$$$$$$$ in fees and taxes, that is the only reason behind it for all I know.

I agree with you, cities should have limits and boundaries, not be allowed to annex every unincorporated development in sight. I moved to Anthem to be away from the City. Most of us Anthem residents like the tranquil lifestyle out here separate from Phoenix and do not wish to be a part of a big city. If I wanted to be part of Phoenix I would have moved there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area