U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-02-2011, 12:35 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,477,011 times
agree that if you are using public transport being near the LR is the best option ... the fewer transfers the better ... the shorter the distance on one bus route the better .... express buses can be OK for getting to/from work, but they will not provide much flexibility if you want to get to/from work at odd hours, the weekend, etc
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 12:43 PM

464 posts, read 383,995 times
Default If you can provide us....

...with the area your company is located...i.e. downtown Phoenix, etc., the people that live here and know best will be able to better direct your questions. Canadian, a-a-ay??? We have a number of Canadians in Fountain Hills to the point that we have 'Canadian Week'...yep, I'm not joking. Best of Luck in your transition!

Old 09-02-2011, 11:03 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,889,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickardo-_ View Post
Let me say hello and introduce myself to everyone reading this post. I am a mid-40 Canadian guy living presently in Ontario Canada.
A few weeks ago a recruiting company contacted me and by the way things are moving forward, I will be moving to phoenix for one year contact job. I have never been to United State and i must admit as excited I am about this whole new experience, I am a little anxious too.
I am hoping some of you guys could help me get some basic knowledge of life style in phoenix. For example what is a reasonable rates for a 1 bedroom apartment?..... Somewhere safe and quiet what would be the names of those areaís.
I also know, it gets pretty hot down there. What would be an avg rate of electricity bill per month for a 1 bedroom apartment?
Here in Canada the public transit system is pretty safe and reliable. Therefore, some folks donít bother owning a car. Can the same thing be said about phoenix?
Thanks again for any help
Rick
In 40 years you never crossed the border into say, Michigan or Minnesota?
You've never been to the US?

Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 PM

307 posts, read 391,347 times
To those wondering about Canadians taking jobs in the States:

NAFTA secures a number of jobs to Specialized Occupations the USA is short of, e.g. Nurses, Doctors, Professors, X-ray technicians etc etc... Usually however, recruiters will not reach out to Canadian citizens. I am pretty sure that the OP researched the position he is talking about, applied and got an offer from the company.

NAFTA is also the biggest scam people are landing jobs with. I have seen Canadians applying for pest control positions, computer techs and the biggest scam of all: Management Consultants. 70% of the applicants for the later mentioned position are turned down as they have no qualifications for job justification. It is unfortunate that the US job situation is so grim, but as long as there are third world country applicants who do registered nursing tasks for half the pay... the advantage is in their court.

Final Note: TN visas are 3 years, not 1...

Last edited by matyoka; 09-03-2011 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-07-2011, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,608 times
Thank you all for your valuable input. Apologies for a little delay but i was trying to get the exact address and only recently head hunter revealed it. Anyways, i am supposed to be working at 160 easts Thomas road. From Google it seems like downtown pretty much. About the Rent, if I could keep it around or preferably under $1000 a month, it would be great.
I also agree with another friend's comment on having a car help explore the area better. If I am down south US, might as well expand the knowledge and visit more.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:12 PM

I used to work right next to that area ... in fact I used to work right in that same exact plaza

Good news for public transport is that you are real close to the light rail stop at central & thomas

This area is considered more "mid-town" ... downtown proper is on the other side of the freeway going south on central .... not a bad area and good for work hours, gets kind of quiet at night, but still safe enough to go to/from on the train

I honestly would probably look somewhere on the light rail line & try to take that into work and that would also give you flexibility to go out in tempe/downtown without worrying so much about driving after a couple drinks or anything like that.

There is a parking garage in the same plaza as your work ... check to see if it costs anything to park ... my employer covered the cost, not sure if yours does or not

I had friends who rented in the area and drove to/from work ... they lived off camelback, although I think their apts have gone condo now......

Probably the toughest thing about the area as far as driving is if you need to use I-10 ... it gets congested in both directions and 7th street or 7th avenue is the main way to access and it can back up trying to get on the freeway leaving at peak times

This may help in figuring out what is near the light rail and if it's feasible to get an apartment near it.

LightRailConnect

Even if you do, I would still highly recommend having a car because there is a lot more to the city beyond the light rail and your work ... not to mention the state or surrounding areas ... it's just my opinion that it would be nice to not have to drive into work and be able to play a little without driving

Old 09-07-2011, 06:15 PM

478 posts, read 201,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickardo-_ View Post
Thank you all for your valuable input. Apologies for a little delay but i was trying to get the exact address and only recently head hunter revealed it. Anyways, i am supposed to be working at 160 easts Thomas road. From Google it seems like downtown pretty much. About the Rent, if I could keep it around or preferably under $1000 a month, it would be great.
I also agree with another friend's comment on having a car help explore the area better. If I am down south US, might as well expand the knowledge and visit more.
Rent a car on the weekends and get out. it's dirt cheap on weekends and they have un-limited mileage. Phoenix is the Rent-a-Car capital of the US.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:17 PM

that's not a bad idea as well

Old 09-08-2011, 04:15 PM

44 posts, read 23,165 times
Welcome Rick! If you're on fb, please look up our Expat Canadians in Arizona group. Really good group of people - and we're always happy to welcome a new member!

Public transportation here is nothing like the TTC! When I first moved here, I didn't drive and relied on public transportation. It didn't last long! Pretty sure you'll want a car

Old 09-08-2011, 04:52 PM

798 posts, read 729,070 times
Hi there to a fellow Canadian! (I've lived in Phoenix since '96 - we came down on a NAFTA visa, got Permanent Residency, now am a citizen!

The previous poster is right - you will probably want a car when you move here. The Valley of the Sun is so vast, you are likely to make friends that live a long way from downtown, and visiting them via public transportation will be next to impossible. Same with what will likely become your favorite restaurant or watering hole. We came down with a group of several Canadians, and NONE of them ended up living near downtown PHX where they worked, or in the east Valley (like Tempe/Chandler/Mesa). Most ended up in North Phoenix, North Glendale, or North Peoria. (count on a half-hour to 45 minute commute by car). There are various Park and Rides (you drive to a place to drop off your car in a lot for the day, then take a commuter bus downtown) throughout the Valley.

Also, if you are working for a large company like American Express, you may find yourself being transferred around to any one of their many locations. Phoenix isn't really a "downtown" type of city. Business districts can be several miles apart, and even in different cities altogether.

Count on living here for at least 6 months in an apartment to see what it is like. You may love it or hate it here. A few in the group that came down at the same time as us ended up moving back to Canada.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area