Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 51,753 times

Advertisements

We are rent in Chandler now. Like to buy in FH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM
F40

826 posts, read 855,871 times
I live in Surprise right now but I just closed on a house in Fountain Hills. This town is awesome.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM

675 posts, read 1,410,708 times
Welcome to all you FH newcomers from an oldtimer.. over a year now... lol.

You'll love the winters here!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 PM

45 posts, read 97,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Welcome to all you FH newcomers from an oldtimer.. over a year now... lol.

You'll love the winters here!
How r the winters in general?
Do I need a heat pump on my pool?

Thx

Old 09-08-2011, 12:11 AM

675 posts, read 1,410,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhillsorbust View Post

Thx
Well that depends on how long you want to swim!
We have a heat pump and a gas furnace, but the heat pump never worked. Tech guy said we need a new doohickie for $700. So we skipped that option.

We used the furnace a bit last fall to extend the swim season, but we definitely like the water warm. It is barely hitting 90 nowadays in the late afternoon. It has been as hot as 95 this summer (which isn't really refreshing). But we don't like it much below upper 80's. I think we got in it a few times in Oct last year.

You don't need to 'close' the pool for winter like you do back in OH, but you do have to be careful about pipe freezes if we get a cold snap down into the low 20's which happened a couple times last winter. Ideally your pool would have a freeze-protect system where everything starts running when the temp hits a certain point, to keep the water from freezing in the lines.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Well that depends on how long you want to swim!
We have a heat pump and a gas furnace, but the heat pump never worked. Tech guy said we need a new doohickie for $700. So we skipped that option.

We used the furnace a bit last fall to extend the swim season, but we definitely like the water warm. It is barely hitting 90 nowadays in the late afternoon. It has been as hot as 95 this summer (which isn't really refreshing). But we don't like it much below upper 80's. I think we got in it a few times in Oct last year.

You don't need to 'close' the pool for winter like you do back in OH, but you do have to be careful about pipe freezes if we get a cold snap down into the low 20's which happened a couple times last winter. Ideally your pool would have a freeze-protect system where everything starts running when the temp hits a certain point, to keep the water from freezing in the lines.
Very good info.......THANK You!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 AM

39,029 posts, read 51,089,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fountainhillsorbust View Post

Thx
Pool water temps will be in the 70s by the end of this month and will go down even below 50 in the winter without a heater. Unless you are a newcomer, you will not care to swim much longer anyway. Even if the pool is warm, the dry air will freeze you when you get out of the water. The novelty of winter swimming goes away after the first year for most.

Solution: get a spa! Spas trump pools by a long shot in winter. Sitting in the tub on a cool sunny morning with the steam rising... Ahhh!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Pool water temps will be in the 70s by the end of this month and will go down even below 50 in the winter without a heater. Unless you are a newcomer, you will not care to swim much longer anyway. Even if the pool is warm, the dry air will freeze you when you get out of the water. The novelty of winter swimming goes away after the first year for most.

Solution: get a spa! Spas trump pools by a long shot in winter. Sitting in the tub on a cool sunny morning with the steam rising... Ahhh!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 PM

45 posts, read 64,173 times
Hey! I can relate to that!

I bought my house in Fountain Hills 6 1/2 months ago, and I'm still very excited! LOVE my little town!!! I've lived in Phoenix for 23 years, and it's soooooo completely different from anywhere else in the valley!

Gorgeous views, wonderful people in the local businesses, very self-contained for most things you need (and Scottsdale's just over the mountain for anything else you need)....

I have to go out of town Sunday for work, for a couple of weeks - but I actually went out of my way to make sure I'd be back in time for Ballet Under the Stars, September 25

No really...I LOVE my little town!

*gush*

Old 09-08-2011, 06:09 PM

149 posts, read 532,520 times
shhhhh... don't let the word get out. We want to continue enjoying the town the way it is, don't we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area