Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Arizona: Scottsdale, education, cost of living, downtown, neighborhood.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 01:58 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
For me my ideal place is the middle American kind with down to earth, friendly people who have good family values, go to church, look out for each other etc. I've never before associated Phoenix, SLC, or even Las Vegas as "West Coast"....I guess things have changed. My friend's uncle moved to Arizona a long time ago and described it as a very pleasant escape from California where people were much nicer and more laid back. Things must have changed!
Yep things have changed! Yes, it is a place to escape from California, the problem is too many have escaped from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 03:11 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
I grew up in a rich suburb of Washington, D.C. filled with New YOrk area transplants and it was ALL about fashions, flashy cars, McMansions, etc. The high school I went to was an exact replica of Clueless and Mean Girls, up to the exact descriptons of the cliques in Mean Girls. Our school district purposely built the biggest parking lot in the district in my high school because so many students had their own cars, including Escalades, Yukons and Expeditions. But many of these people barely made it through college, if they did it all.

For me my ideal place is the middle American kind with down to earth, friendly people who have good family values, go to church, look out for each other etc. I've never before associated Phoenix, SLC, or even Las Vegas as "West Coast"....I guess things have changed. My friend's uncle moved to Arizona a long time ago and described it as a very pleasant escape from California where people were much nicer and more laid back. Things must have changed!
I lived in Arlington for 6 years before moving to Arizona and I can say that Arizona is much more materialistic than the DC area. Again, this is a generalization, but DC is filled with people who have pedigrees and advanced degrees from the world's best universities. In Arizona people over compensate for their lack of both by flaunting (or appearing to flaunt) their wealth. But, that's just my general observations.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:16 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Vegas and Phoenix are definitely part of the West Coast. Phoenix has more in common with LA than it does with SLC, Denver, or Albuquerque. Phoenix is basically LA without an ocean, diversity, nice summer weather, or the cultural amenities. There are certainly nice poeple here in the Valley, and there are still many family oriented communties, where people are kind, friendly, and regular church attendees. However, a lot of the issues Angelenos moved to Arizona to escape, are now present in Phoenix.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 22,670 times
I find this thread hilarious. I live in Scottsdale right now. Do you realize that all these views on "plastic women" or "fake millionaires" etc... are based on yourselves? If I want to meet the plastic women and fake millionaires I would live that lifestyle. Where and how do you end up interacting with these people if you don't like them?

If you want a good old school neighborhood to live in go find one! Don't buy a condo in old town scottsdale within walking distance from the clubs. If you want to be a fake millionaire, go buy the expensive house that you can barely afford. You have the choice. It's not the city's problem. The city is huge. It's got bad areas, good areas, young urban areas, old retiree areas and young millionaire areas.

Seriously, what if you lived on the border of Phoenix and Scottsdale? Would your life change drastically (besides schools) just because your house was on the left or right side of the street?

Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I lived in Arlington for 6 years before moving to Arizona and I can say that Arizona is much more materialistic than the DC area. Again, this is a generalization, but DC is filled with people who have pedigrees and advanced degrees from the world's best universities. In Arizona people over compensate for their lack of both by flaunting (or appearing to flaunt) their wealth. But, that's just my general observations.
Irwin, since you moved there from the DC area, how are you adjusting to the weather and the landscapes? During my trips out west (been from Boise all the way through the Grand Canyon and Utah) I loved the desert scenery and wide open spaces. Do you or a lot of people who move to the Southwest from greener parts of the country find yourself missing the trees or swamps or whatever in the East Coast, Midwest or South? How does a summer day in Arizoan compare with Virginia?

Oh and I grew up mostly in Potomac/Rockville, very different from Arlington. There its mostly "new money", not the diplomatic/lobbyist/congress types, just old fashioned suburbia. As for pedigree thats limited to parts of the District. Overall the area is dominated by chain restaurants, malls and subdivisions.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Likes and dislikes are not the same - just because I like socially conscious, educated people, that are ambitious doesn't mean I want my daughter to be overwhelmed with one activity after another and pressured into either being the best in the class or nothing. There is a difference between wanting to do well for yourself, and being to the extreme where you sacrific quality of life for work.
Why did you reply? Are you from the Northeast and live in Scottsdale? Visiting Manhattan tells you nothing. Manhattan is very different than wealthy suburbs. I should have said suburb outside of Manhattan. Manhattan has all income levels and goes from rich to poor basically.
This is why it so difficult to get good information from this forum. I see it all the time - people go off point onto their own little tangents. This is not about how you feel - I am asking what Scottsdale is like. Please do not pollute threads with personal attacks thank you very much.
Wow! I really want to apologize for the rudeness of dano's comment and some of the others. I live in Northeast Scottsdale. We moved from San Diego...my husband is an Ivy League graduate (Penn) from the Valley Forge area in Pennsylvania. We also wanted to move somewhere where our children could get an excellent education and have the same education opportunities that our family has had. We live in a very nice community east of Troon off of Dynamite/Rio Verde Dr. It is a quickly growing community with culture, as well as that down-to-earth feel.

There is a lot of resentment from people in the valley who do not live in Scottsdale. We are just people. Good people.

Back to our community, yes our children go to Copper Ridge, a newer school where most parent's income is in excess of six figures. BMWs, Mercedes, and Hummers are a norm...but so are SUVs and minivans. The teachers are excellent and the curriculum is above average. Don't get me wrong, my girls deal with the plastics...they are everywhere. But people should stop judging people from Scottsdale. We are really nice.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiburg View Post
Wow! I really want to apologize for the rudeness of dano's comment and some of the others. I live in Northeast Scottsdale. We moved from San Diego...my husband is an Ivy League graduate (Penn) from the Valley Forge area in Pennsylvania. We also wanted to move somewhere where our children could get an excellent education and have the same education opportunities that our family has had. We live in a very nice community east of Troon off of Dynamite/Rio Verde Dr. It is a quickly growing community with culture, as well as that down-to-earth feel.

There is a lot of resentment from people in the valley who do not live in Scottsdale. We are just people. Good people.

Back to our community, yes our children go to Copper Ridge, a newer school where most parent's income is in excess of six figures. BMWs, Mercedes, and Hummers are a norm...but so are SUVs and minivans. The teachers are excellent and the curriculum is above average. Don't get me wrong, my girls deal with the plastics...they are everywhere. But people should stop judging people from Scottsdale. We are really nice.

What a nice, kind post...you can't live in evil Scottsdale?!!!

I love the area you live in. I live up in Carefree and the people are wonderful up here. Most are transplants...most are great.

Oh, and if you are looking for fake boobs or guys with bad hair transplants, yeah, I've seen it in Scottsdale. Funny thing, once you talk to these people, they are nice human beings with foibles we all have.

P.S. Have you ever had a kobe burger at A.J.'s? I don't eat red meat, but my husband nearly cried at how good it was.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:17 PM

285 posts, read 785,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandiburg View Post

I believe this is just a difference in perspective of how one should present themselves to others. I guess my world view is that one (especially one gifted with the attributes to achieve a high income) should be gracious and modest when describing themselves. At the outset, I would never mention that I went to an "Ivy Leage" school or that I had a "> six-figure income" or that I owned a "luxury vehicle." Just the way I was brought up. Apparently I am in the minority.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:22 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Default sorry about the cross posting Yac

I wrote it once and then decided it needed to go elsewhere. Thanks. *smile*

Old 08-30-2007, 06:44 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
I believe this is just a difference in perspective of how one should present themselves to others. I guess my world view is that one (especially one gifted with the attributes to achieve a high income) should be gracious and modest when describing themselves. At the outset, I would never mention that I went to an "Ivy Leage" school or that I had a "> six-figure income" or that I owned a "luxury vehicle." Just the way I was brought up. Apparently I am in the minority.
It's a perfect example of what Scottsdale's about. Trying to dazzle others with your educational attainment, your material possesionsm, and your income level. I guess it must increase their self-worth if they attempt to differentiate themselves from the "average" American. I think the few people who have attempted to dispute Scottsdale's widely known reputation as being a large upper-middle class show-and-tell project think that the environment they live in is just like any other wholesome American community. It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area