Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:43 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agathis View Post
A question for the Captain please. Would your behavior have changed by simply receiving the ticket, or was the actual monetary sanction what made you change your behavior? I for one slow down whenever I see the popo. How say you?
Agathis, it was a combination. Prior to that I had only had one ticket, and that was around 1975, because I usually drive very close to the speed limit for safety reasons, as well as to prevent getting tickets.

Receiving the ticket in the mail is an inconvenience because I had to read it and determine which course of action to take. If memory serves me correctly, in one of these I was going 45 in a 35 mile zone. In another it was around 36 in a 25 zone because I had not seen the speed change. That's no excuse.

The other inconvenience is taking the course to prevent the points.

Then on the second ticket there was again the inconvenience of dealing with the ticket plus the fine I elected to pay. I couldn't take the course a second time, and I didn't think failing to see the speed change sign was a legitimate reason. The signs were clearly posted, but I just didn't see them.

There is no way I would fail to deal with a ticket and try to dodge process servers. I would have to worry about my license being suspended for avoiding the ticket. If they suspend my license (and I would not know about it) and I got stopped by a cop and s/he finds I'm driving with a suspended license due to not paying a fine, I would probably end up visiting tent city.

Since I don't even like camping, I don't think I would enjoy tent city.

For me, the choices on the ticket are pretty clear. I had the opportunity to go to court and argue my case, but I knew I was wrong, so why do that?

If I was right, and was not speeding, then I would do sufficient research and go to court. If I win, that's great. If I lose, then I would move on and put it behind me. Dodging process servers to make a point, or protest, is not an option for me because I see it as a losing proposition.

Others can make their own choices, and if they want to dodge process servers, it's their choice.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:05 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
What's unfriendly about not opening the door for proselytizers, peddlers and process servers? If they observed the ubiquitous "no soliciting" signs, it'd be different. I know my neighbors, talk with them all the time. We usually chat in the driveways or across the backyard fences. You'll find no better neighbor than me because I keep a clean house and yard, notice all vehicles I see driving around and say hello to everyone, letting them know I noticed them.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azphotoradarsucks View Post
Actually, Ponderosa, too often, the way the system is set up, you can't argue with those cameras, no matter how poorly they are maintained, calibrated, and monitored for accuracy. Read up on it. Case after case proves it. Chances are, if you appear in court, they will find you guilty whether you are or not, because they trust the cameras implicitly. This does NOT qualify as justice. Truth is, there are judges out there that just don't care. I don't think anyone here would have a problem being "served in person and just deal(ing) with it" if the courts actually would require evidence that the camera was functioning properly and accurately, and that there were no other "schemes" involved, like shortening the yellow-light time to increase revenue or snapping a photo of one person's car while recording the actual speed of the car next to it. If avoiding the process server is the only way to avoid UNJUST conviction of a crime one did not commit, it is 100% valid.

We have a RESPONSIBILITY to hold our government accountable for the way they go about handing out "justice". If we don't, we are sentencing our children to a life without the freedoms we hold so dear in this country. Anyone who thinks the cameras aren't part of the slippery slope toward losing our liberties is, well, naive.
Your perception of "justice" appears to go well into the realm of political beliefs - an area where reason seldom prevails these days. I invite you to step off the soap box for a second and answer the question (in your mind, not on the forum): were you speeding or not? If not, then seek justice in the way you believe best. If so, pay the fine and move on. Don't nuance the truth because of the methodology used to arrive at it.

NOTE: I say all this as someone who has not been nailed by one of these cameras (yet). Given that I have sulked and stewed and cursed everyone from the cop to the mayor to the city council when I have received tickets from a city officer, I doubt that I would be so insightful were it my own experience. Nonetheless, I, and most people get over it in time and move on. That may take a week or two. If you don't pay and decide to hide, the period of anger and having this thing at the back of your mind will drag on for several months = maybe into the upcoming holiday season. Who needs that?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:51 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,823,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
What's unfriendly about not opening the door for proselytizers, peddlers and process servers? If they observed the ubiquitous "no soliciting" signs, it'd be different. I know my neighbors, talk with them all the time. We usually chat in the driveways or across the backyard fences. You'll find no better neighbor than me because I keep a clean house and yard, notice all vehicles I see driving around and say hello to everyone, letting them know I noticed them.
Yeah, your door would be the first one I'd go to in an emergency or if I simply needed to borrow something, right? Or if I lost my dog, had a kid selling girl scout cookies, or a petition I wanted you to consider signing. (maybe to get rid of photo radar??????)

I get your point, and it's your right not to open the door. We have a sexurity screen door for similar reasons. But don't say you're a good neighbor when that door remains closed TO your neighbors unless they have an appointment.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM

I see my neighbors often enough that no appt. is needed. They're more than welcome to walk into the backyard and knock on the sliding glass door where I'm usually working anyway. As I travel a lot and don't want my wife to be in any danger, we simply make it habit of not opening the door for those we're not expecting. My neighbors know how to reach me and they all know I work from home and am very available.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:35 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The way I look at is, I broke the law, and I need to be responsible for my actions. A fine is an appropriate way. It's much better than jail time.
What if the fine is $475 for going 36 mph in a 35 zone? And half of that goes to a profit-making corporation? And the CEO of that corporation spends millions on campaign contributions and has just ordered the world's largest yacht?

Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
What if the fine is $475 for going 36 mph in a 35 zone? And half of that goes to a profit-making corporation? And the CEO of that corporation spends millions on campaign contributions and has just ordered the world's largest yacht?
I couldn't care less who gets the money. All I care about is that I'm out the money. I sure hope every corporation makes a profit. Lord knows, the gov't. squanders every dime they get. At least a profitable corp. will owe some taxes.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azphotoradarsucks View Post
HI, I just received what I believe to be an illegitimate traffic ticket from the City of Mesa in my mailbox. I am infuriated that it is from a camera, and I had no opportunity to "discuss" the alleged violation with an actual officer (who, I am certain, would not have pulled me over in the first place.) Seems these things are unbeatable in court even if they are totally unjust, questionable tickets.

Question: If I wait for a process server to legally serve me the ticket, then choose to take the defensive driving course instead of paying a ticket I believe to be unjust, will I have to pay process server fees? I don't want the points on my squeaky clean driving record. I think it's best to force the city to abide by its own rules and serve me properly (since mail does not constitute legal service) and I think it's just wrong that they can fine me for the right to be legally served.
There are numerous threads in the Phoenix forum, as well as the general AZ forum, regarding photo radar tickets. Since this thread has now deteriorated into a series of political/philosophical/personal comments, thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area