Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 02:35 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I try to avoid lumping what you describe as the "creeping transformation" of Phoenix into the "illegal" problem. There are many, many LEGAL Hispanic residents here. If you (or the OP's neighbor) object to that, and to merchants recognizing that, that's your privilege, but it's not the "illegal problem".
I would agree, but I think the neighbor is talking about the increasingly visible Hispanic influence in Phoenix when he says "illegals" bother him. Rightly or wrongly, I think that is the usual way it is described and I hear a lot of it.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:42 PM

27 posts, read 51,540 times
Thanks for the information. I have sold off my house and took a job that will allow me to relocate to the Goodyear area. I just have to make sure its a decision that I will not regret later on.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 PM

35 posts, read 59,479 times
What heat?

Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
No doubt the heat is a factor to be dealt with when considering a move here. As for the so-called illegals, gangs and traffic I'm not sure those situations aren't similar to other border states. You certainly have to base your final decisions/opinions on your own perspectives. As for the "creeping" hispanic influence, we forget that Arizona was a part of Mexico at one time so yes there is going to be that influence. I think our diversity is something to be celebrated, not used as a source of division. America, whether we like it or not, is a place for immigrants. Always has been.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:48 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Heat - Yes, we are paying in spades for our mild spring.
Traffic - Depends where you come from. For me it is a no, traffic is not bad.
Gangs - No

Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboxerca View Post
Thanks for the information. I have sold off my house and took a job that will allow me to relocate to the Goodyear area. I just have to make sure its a decision that I will not regret later on.
The heat is what it is ... you can either live with it or you can't

I don't find the traffic in Goodyear to be anything of note ... occasionally hit a string of lights, which is obnoxious - but most everything I want is within a couple miles and a short drive of my house ..... the major thing that isn't is my job - the 24 mile commute takes about 40-50 minutes depending on hiccups ..... moves well for the most part with one major slow stretch on I-10

Illegals - really don't factor into my daily thought process

Gangs - minor concern in phoenix, very minor in Goodyear .... maybe some spill over from Avondale .... but you'll come across more of the typical bored suburban wannabe set ..... gang activity really doesn't hit my radar here

Old 09-07-2011, 12:02 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
No doubt the heat is a factor to be dealt with when considering a move here. As for the so-called illegals, gangs and traffic I'm not sure those situations aren't similar to other border states. You certainly have to base your final decisions/opinions on your own perspectives. As for the "creeping" hispanic influence, we forget that Arizona was a part of Mexico at one time so yes there is going to be that influence. I think our diversity is something to be celebrated, not used as a source of division. America, whether we like it or not, is a place for immigrants. Always has been.
I generally agree. I'd like to add that our problems with crime & gangs are really not much different than other cities/metro areas our size. Yes, there are issues with crime, gangs, drugs, and graffiti (they all are basically one & the same), but southern California is worse, especially in & around L.A.

Also, many people seem to associate Hispanics with illegals, and that's not always the case. There is a high Hispanic population here, but certainly not all of them are illegals. On the other hand, there has been an ongoing issue with illegal immigration for many years, and it got to the point where it was out of control ... but some things were finally done recently on the state level to crack down on this. Legal immigration and Hispanics in general are not a problem, but ILLEGAL immigration is.

As for traffic, yes, that is certainly something we have a lot of because it's a large, spread out metro area, and most everybody drives a vehicle. But again, you'll find traffic congestion in just about every sizeable city. Rush hour traffic here can be a nightmare ... however, a place like L.A. seems to have rush hour almost on a 24 hour clock. Overall, Phoenix traffic is not the best, but it could be worse.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 AM

41 posts, read 79,289 times
I moved to Phoenix (north east section near desert ridge) from southern California and the overall feeling of security is definitely higher here for me. In southern California I felt unsafe in a lot of areas, but here I feel safe in most areas. The heat, it is what it is, you just have to deal with it but there is AC everywhere so it's not really a factor. As for illegals, if you live in a decent area, you won't even think twice about them. Being from California, the "illegal problem" here is laughable in comparison. I think it's a wise move and personally, it's the best move I've ever made, I absolutely love it here. Phoenix isn't perfect, but i really cant think of a metro area I've liked more, and I've been to quite a few! Welcome to Arizona if you decide to do it!

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 AM

267 posts, read 692,877 times
For what it's worth, I think the Phoenix area freeways are in better shape, newer, and cleaner than in the Bay Area.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:11 AM

157 posts, read 453,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
For what it's worth, I think the Phoenix area freeways are in better shape, newer, and cleaner than in the Bay Area.
I'm not familiar with the Bay area but, in my experience driving pretty much everywhere else in the country, Arizona has some of the best roads I've ever been on. There's traffic during rush hour but CA is way worse and stupid drivers are universal.

Regarding illegals, like others have said, is the issue illegals or hispanics? If you have a problem with the hispanic population or influence, Arizona is not the place to be. As for true illegals, unless you employ day labor, they are not part of your daily life.

Gangs? I guess if you live in a really bad part of the city, its an issue. For the other 95% of us, not even a thought.

As for the heat, well its a desert. If you can live through July-Aug, you'll be ok. 90 degrees here is really not the same as 90 degrees in New York, Florida, or California. Its nice, and this is coming from someone who wishes it was 65 all year round. 115 degrees will blow your mind though, when you step out that door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area