Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 12:27 PM

27 posts, read 51,544 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm from the bay area and not too long ago my nehighbor had just moved from Phoenix. After 20 yrs he had to get the heck out of the there becuase of the Heat, Traffic, Gangs, and Illegals. I thought it was odd to move from Az to Ca because its usually the other way around (Ca to Az) for retirement. Is it really that bad? I have been there 5 times in the past 2 yrs and I think Az is a nice place and I really would like to relocate. The conversation has been in my head ever since and it can be disturbing at times.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:37 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I'd go along with the heat, traffic and illegals, but not the gangs as annoyances that are bad enough to become intolerable. Individual tolerance varies and people who move out (of AZ or CA or anywhere) always exaggerate the reality as a means of justifying their actions, I have found.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:38 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
People are people

A lot of the information is pretty regularly available (temps, weather info, crime stats, etc) - take your baseline and form your own conclusions

Maybe he thinks your reasons for wanting to leave the bay area are just as crazy from his perspective

Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Whether you can tolerate the heat is something no one can answer for you.

Traffic? It's a very large, spread out metro area with most people getting to work in their own cars. So yes, there's traffic. I've seen worse in other cities.

Gangs? I'll venture to say that the overwhelming majority of people in this metro area live their lives unaffected by gang activity. Illegals? I don't think that issue should keep you from moving here if you want to. What bothered your friend so much I have no idea, but it might not affect you the same way.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:55 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
also, if they were here 20 years ago they could be suffering from a post boom syndrome

this city has grown up (and just flat out grown) a lot in the past 20 years

some just aren't city people .... I have relatives who are like that who moved to a remote part of the metro 25 years ago because it was the sticks ..... now it's completely engulfed and they would love to move again when they retire - although not as much of a city vibe as other parts, it's still more than what they desire

Old 09-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Whether you can tolerate the heat is something no one can answer for you.

Traffic? It's a very large, spread out metro area with most people getting to work in their own cars. So yes, there's traffic. I've seen worse in other cities.

Gangs? I'll venture to say that the overwhelming majority of people in this metro area live their lives unaffected by gang activity. Illegals? I don't think that issue should keep you from moving here if you want to. What bothered your friend so much I have no idea, but it might not affect you the same way.
I was in Home Depot a few days ago and a Spanish language radio station was being played over the PA system. That (the creeping transformation of Phoenix) is probably the kind of thing his new neighbor was talking about.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
The heat.......the fricken heat. I THOUGHT I could take it........physically I could..............psychologically............nope .

I lived in Tucson for 18 months, it would get up into the 90's IN APRIL..............and you would have broiling heat for 6-7 months. My mind just could not get around this fact. When the second spring came around (april) and the thermometer was hitting 90 degrees............well, that was it for me.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
also, if they were here 20 years ago they could be suffering from a post boom syndrome

this city has grown up (and just flat out grown) a lot in the past 20 years

some just aren't city people .... I have relatives who are like that who moved to a remote part of the metro 25 years ago because it was the sticks ..... now it's completely engulfed and they would love to move again when they retire - although not as much of a city vibe as other parts, it's still more than what they desire
Ha, ha. That is what I have: post boom syndrome. I kept moving and moving again to stay ahead of the hordes, but the boom came and went and sucked the value from my house and now I am stuck here watching the out of state plates swarm over the landscape. I relate the the OP's new neighbor. If I moved I would say the same thing. Though the "Bay area" is about the last place I would look to escape what is wrong with Phoenix.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Don't think the heat is overstated. It's hot as he*l for about 4- 4 1/2 months/year. The traffic sucks like any large metro. The illlegals no one thinks much about them day to day except maybe the Brewster.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was in Home Depot a few days ago and a Spanish language radio station was being played over the PA system. That (the creeping transformation of Phoenix) is probably the kind of thing his new neighbor was talking about.
I try to avoid lumping what you describe as the "creeping transformation" of Phoenix into the "illegal" problem. There are many, many LEGAL Hispanic residents here. If you (or the OP's neighbor) object to that, and to merchants recognizing that, that's your privilege, but it's not the "illegal problem".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area