U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,690,702 times

Advertisements

definitely bring in a professional civil engineer who is experienced in foundation repair & settlement

Blue Book is a place where you can start to look

Home | The Blue Book Building and Construction Network

You can verify that they are licensed here

Search Registrant Roster
When done make sure you get a written report with their seal and the engineers signature over it - make sure you retain the originals for pretty much as long as you own the home

If you get work done, make sure that it complies to the report and get something in writting to verify that as well from the contractor doing the work

This could very well be a minor issue and a great opportunity - it could be something as simple as the landscaping being graded incorrectly in a couple spots that is pooling moisture around your foundation and messing with the soil compared to the soil around the rest of the home

I'm just not sure that as a new buyer it's something I would want to undertake when there are a lot of good options on the market .... then again, I'm a bit more on the risk adverse side of things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 01:26 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,231,728 times
IMHO, this problem will scare the heck out of plenty of people. Therefore you should be driving a pretty hard bargin.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,111,182 times
MN is correct. I've seen buyers/investors walk on stuff way,way less serious: minor water damage, minor drywall issues, minor mold issues.......any home that is not mortgageable calls for a huge discount. That's why the condos are extra cheap. What makes you think that you can't find a house in good condition?

Old 09-08-2011, 03:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,034,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
IMHO, this problem will scare the heck out of plenty of people. Therefore you should be driving a pretty hard bargin.
The OP's home inspector is the only one freaking out. This isn't a disclosed "defect", it's something that was noticed by the home inspector. Other potential buyers know nothing about this.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:51 PM

17,366 posts, read 20,533,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The OP's home inspector is the only one freaking out. This isn't a disclosed "defect", it's something that was noticed by the home inspector. Other potential buyers know nothing about this.
Zippy, I am with you on this one. While home construction was not my area of specialty I dealt with expansive soils on other kinds of projects during my career. This does not sound like the kind of thing one would expect to see from soil movement. When the ground moves, things break. Pipes split open, doors hang off level, wall tape splits, corners open, floors crack. Based solely on the description in the post, this sounds much more like a workmanship issue - and not that bad/unusual of one either.

Like ^^, if OP really wants the house and is concerned definitely get hold of a registered soil/foundation guy for an opinion.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:00 PM

2,879 posts, read 4,111,182 times
Quote:
That is a risk you take when you let a buyer do an inspection--a bad report becomes part of disclosure.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 PM

35 posts, read 29,395 times
Quote:
This is correct. The home inspectors comment was basically "The slab appears to have risen more than an amount I would consider acceptable"

Structural engineer inspected the foundation, stem wall, slab, says there is no issue. No foundation cracks, no wall cracks. (This was before the home inspector was out)

I called Arizona Ram jack, described this to them, their opinion without seeing it was that it's probably no issue.

I'm still trying to get a foundation/slab repair expert out to take a look at it. It's hard to find qualified people who can come out on short notice.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:51 PM

696 posts, read 699,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coorsleftfield View Post
This is correct. The home inspectors comment was basically "The slab appears to have risen more than an amount I would consider acceptable"

Structural engineer inspected the foundation, stem wall, slab, says there is no issue. No foundation cracks, no wall cracks. (This was before the home inspector was out)

I called Arizona Ram jack, described this to them, their opinion without seeing it was that it's probably no issue.

I'm still trying to get a foundation/slab repair expert out to take a look at it. It's hard to find qualified people who can come out on short notice.

Run - really! I am living this nightmare! There are TOO many houses for sell to even stick your toe in this pond...when in doubt - run!

The AZ DEQ has links to maps showing soil composition throughout the state that may provide some valuable information.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:53 PM

17,366 posts, read 20,533,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
Run - really! I am living this nightmare! There are TOO many houses for sell to even stick your toe in this pond...when in doubt - run!

The AZ DEQ has links to maps showing soil composition throughout the state that may provide some valuable information.
So is your "nightmare" actual damages from soil instability or a floor that is high in one spot and a speculative comment from a home inspector?

BTW. Those maps are not of much use as they are simply too small scale. Any major project requires soil testing and engineering analysis.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:29 PM

35 posts, read 29,395 times
I'm having 2 experts look at the place tomorrow. They should be able to determine if this is a finishing issue, or something more substantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area