Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:48 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times

Advertisements

You should be just fine with finding a nice home in a nice area for $350k or less. The only thing is you won't be buying in scottsdale (north, by the way is more affluent).

Where I am in N. Glendale is parallel with N. Scottsdale, but with probably about 15 miles or so apart (if you look at a map you'll understand what I'm talking about). The north valley is huge, just as the whole phx metro is. There are too many communities to list. However, I am VERY particular to Arrowhead Ranch up in North Glendale. That is an affluent area with lots of shopping and such. You can find a few homes in your price range. It's worth a look. (Check out on a map the area between 51st ave to 75th ave, and Union Hills to Pinnacle Peak or so, even up to Happy Valley is nice, but it's not AR)

Even on my own street we have several early retirees who settled there in just the last couple of years.

The east valley is considered Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Apache Junction, Queen Creek. The north valley is the north parts of Scottsdale, Phx, Glendale (probably more NW Valley though, along with Peoria). There's also the NE valley which is where I grew up (borders Scottsdale).

If you look at a map of the whole valley (phx metro) you can kinda figure out what would be N, S, E, and W valleys.

I hope all this makes sense. It's the end of the day and my brain is tired!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:28 PM

88 posts, read 482,752 times
Thanks again. Pulled up a couple of maps after your last post and now have a better idea of where places really are. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I have been to AZ many times, but mostly on vacations, not house hunting! And must say that homes are much more reasonable there than where I am... and that does include Scottsdale. Our real estate taxes are very high, same for utilities. If we can find a home for about $350,000, we will have a hefty amount to bank after selling our home here... and that is a good thing! Of course, we may eat up alot if we have to fly back and forth too many times searching for the right home for us. Time will tell. The best part of all of this is just knowing that we will be spending our last winter here if we can't move until spring.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:56 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocarol View Post
Thank you. I would imagine then, the air conditioning there is equipped with some sort of filters for Dust,etc? Are there other things that help, other than staying indoors? Needless to say, we have been back & forth to AZ long enough over the years to know when it's best to be out of the heat of the day,etc. Many years ago, I couldn't wait for our vacations out there to take advantage of the sun and heat,lying by a pool,etc. Now I am older and know better, stay out of the sun, and stay inside during the heat of the day! But- if you have ever been near Chicago during one of our bad winters- believe me, I will take AZ any day over what I have lived with for far too long! This past winter I had five foot snow drifts blocking my front door, my sidewalks and driveway was a sheet of thick ice... and this was a 'mild' winter. I keep telling my husband that once we move there if we ever want to see snow again we can drive north for a long weekend- or fly back to the Chicago area for a short visit around the holidays.
Is there any specific area you would recommend? Are there some hidden expenses there that would be different than here? Other than 'bug control'? While on vacation there about 10 years ago, my husband ended up in Scottsdale hospital when he fell at our resort and broke his hip. I understand Mayo Clinic is there too (we go to Rochester, Mn to Mayo now)
I would truly appreciate some help. Thank you for your time.

Your husband should so fine in Phoenix with Arthritus. We ended up in Phoenix because of my dad's crippling Arthritus. He broke his hip also due to Arthritus and had 2 plastic ones put in and he was fine, until he died of lung Cancer. Oh well he did enjoy Arizona for the time he was there which was about 17 years total. Breathing problems is another issue, my husband developed plenty of breathing problems in AZ and his allergies were down right awful. We've been in the Carolinas since Feb and they say lots of people have allegies in the Carolinas, he hasn't had a problem at all. I wonder if it was the dust he was allergic too.

I lived in Gilbert and I liked it very much. I don't think there are hidden cost, The propery taxes are low, a little higher compared to Mesa. We paid 1300 in taxes but at the time our house cost 145,000. South East Gilbert is nice the Superstition area where I lived was nice also.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I don't know if our AC units have any filters for dust, I never heard of any. People who don't have any allergies or asthma usually fare well with being outside for the most part. So, if you don't have any of those issues then you should be ok, however, some will get allergies from our plants that they don't have back where they are from.

How much are you looking to spend on a home? Are you looking for a small community or retirement community? I don't know much about the east valley. I've always been a north valley person, born and raised. Now, I choose to live in N. Glendale as it is a great place to live.

My bf is from Chicago and moved out here 14 yrs ago and still can't get used to the heat. He HATES it! He claims it's as bad as Chicago winters being too cold to do anything. He still can't decide which is worse, cold or hot.

That's funny your boyfriend sounds like my husband, he says he rather freeze his a-- off then deal with that desert.........LOL......I'll take the desert. I don't like the cold weather.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
That's funny your boyfriend sounds like my husband, he says he rather freeze his a-- off then deal with that desert.........LOL......I'll take the desert. I don't like the cold weather.
LOL I used to hate the summers due to the heat, now it's because of his complaining! I can most definitely take the heat over his bitching.

He's so sensitive (or a baby, don't know which yet). We will be walking from the grocery store to the car and before we even get to the car he's complaining about his ears being burned. He's like, "doesn't it bother you??" I tell him that I don't think about it and that's how I cope. MEN!

He is like your husband I think. He'd rather have a reason to wear his parka (which he still owns) then wear shorts.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 PM

64 posts, read 282,818 times
I would stay out of Mesa if I were you.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:24 AM

284 posts, read 1,020,713 times
Have you thought of SunCity in the far North West Part of Metro Phoenix near Surprise? Its a retirement community and ther area seemed very nice when i was around there looking for my hosue in Surprise.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
LOL I used to hate the summers due to the heat, now it's because of his complaining! I can most definitely take the heat over his bitching.

He's so sensitive (or a baby, don't know which yet). We will be walking from the grocery store to the car and before we even get to the car he's complaining about his ears being burned. He's like, "doesn't it bother you??" I tell him that I don't think about it and that's how I cope. MEN!

He is like your husband I think. He'd rather have a reason to wear his parka (which he still owns) then wear shorts.

That's so funny!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 AM

88 posts, read 482,752 times
About Sun City... we do have an old friend that lives in Sun City West. From what I have read, there is Sun City (the oldest community) Sun City West, and another that I believe is called Sun City Grande (could be wrong on that name tho) He told us recently that we could get more for our money in THAT area, than in Gilbert. I'm not sure tho, that I would want to be in a retirement community because we both love having a good mix of young and older in our neighborhood, we love kids and don't have any Grandchildren either. It is so difficult to zero in on an area being so far away too. As I've said in previous posts, we would like to pay cash for our new home with the proceeds of the sale of this one, and that appears to be doable, and clearly, real estate taxes are much lower than what we pay here ($7000+ a year) I am beginning to think the only thing we can do is hook up with a really great realtor out in AZ that can e-mail us information & pictures, then take at least a week, go out and see what we can find that meets our needs, our 'must-haves' list, etc?
I am hoping this Forum can lead us in the right direction- we originally hoped to go into North Scottsdale, but health issues,etc. appears to make that unrealistic, which is why we are now thinking about Gilbert. I would appreciate more information on the Gilbert area from anyone that lives there.

I had a good laugh about the cold versus the heat... my husband is never cold... it could be -20 and he isn't cold! I live for the sunshine, and while I know better than to be out in the sun or the high heat of the day, I relish not having to bundle up in layers just to take my little dog outside for five minutes.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:31 PM

647 posts, read 3,341,165 times
Gilbert is a great place to live. People are very nice, everything is new and it's a pretty part of the valley close to the San Tan Mountains.

You should have no problem finding a house in your price range in Gilbert. Shea Homes built Trilogy, what they refer to, I think, as a "mature community" or something to that effect. It's on a beautiful golf course, close to shopping, the new mall (santanvillageshopping.com) and close to the highways. I knew a few people who live there and they like it a lot. It's not really what I'd consider a retirement community b/c people are quite active and always busy.

If that's not your "scene" though, you might check Seville Golf and Country Club community - also a Shea community (check Sheahomes.com for floor plans, prices, etc.) There are many resales there in your price range and the golf course is very nice as well as the country club. Not sure if you guys golf, but you don't have to to join. You can just join the sports club and enjoy the pools, activities and use it as a way to meet people.

Val Vista Lakes also has a beautiful club and the lake is gorgeous, with a beach and pool and it's a great location, convenient to shopping, restaurants, etc. You should be able to find a smaller house in your price range though the homes there are older and will require more fixing up in most cases.

Have you considered Chandler? It's right next to Gilbert and very nice. Homes will be a bit cheaper in Gilbert. But Chandler is worth considering too. Ocotillo, in Chandler, is very pretty, in a good area, and they have a beautiful golf course. If you do want an active adult community, Sun Lakes is in Chandler. It's a nice location and newer then Sun City, which is in the west valley and seemed pretty run down to me when I drove through it. I knew a few people who live in Sun Lakes and enjoy it.

There are many, many developments in Gilbert and also Chandler that would work quite well for you. I just mentioned a few of the larger ones. Go to Arizona Neighborhoods and pull up the map and you can scroll over to Gilbert and Chandler and pull up individual neighborhoods to get an idea of home prices and options. As well, schedule a few visits out here to look around in person and get a good, honest agent who can help.

Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area