Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

I don't disagree - at all - with Capt Bill or TwootsieWootsie. (though, Tootsie, I'd say the Chicago politicos have been at the top of the corrupt politicians list since the sixties. Nothing new in that.)

For anyone looking to retire, I'd say AZ is a damn good place to consider. But for those who are still considering, I think the Pew report makes some valid points.

That said, no place is perfect. One chooses what seems 'right' at a certain point in their lives. The best and finest luxury and peace is knowing that you can safely say "oops," and rethink your earlier choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 10:40 PM

8 posts, read 10,370 times
California is also on the list of "10 worst states to retire in". It is becoming one the worst states for anyone to live in! In my research, Wyoming is the best state to retire in, but who wants to live there?

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
The PEW report was printed in Nov 2009, and probably took a few months to prepare, so it's 2 years old and things have changed since the report was printed.

I can't address the other issues, but the job market has changed for the better. Not dramatically, but it has improved.

The foreclosure rate has decreased a lot and is still decreasing.

The commercial market, that gurus who were charging $15,000 for a two day seminar on how to get rich buying distressed commercial property were the only ones who got rich, by selling tickets at outrageous prices to some very gullible people. The commercial market was weak but didn't crash like those gurus were touting.

Many of the vacant strip malls and offices are starting to get tenants. On Baseline at Greenfield, Basha's closed their market a couple years back, and hurt all the other shops. Recently the shopping center was bought by a local investor who is in the business of building shopping centers; and he has contracted with a new anchor.

The Cardinals sell out the stadium, which means a lot of money is being spent there and someone is making money.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
The magnitude of the problem is actually understated for popular retirement areas.

Don't forget the ton of retirees who invaded the state and bought before the implosion. Their passing guarantees a large ripple effect oversupply for years to come. The worst is yet to come for AZ.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:01 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
The magnitude of the problem is actually understated for popular retirement areas.

Don't forget the ton of retirees who invaded the state and bought before the implosion. Their passing guarantees a large ripple effect oversupply for years to come. The worst is yet to come for AZ.
In spite of the large numbers of retirees who live here, Arizona is still the 9th YOUNGEST state in the country as of 2010 census. There are many young people here who will be forming households over the coming years not to mention the thousands upon thousands who will come here as they did before the boom put the brakes on migration nationwide. As for the retirees, they will continue to come in record numbers in complete disregard of this absurd article. The retirees will ensure strong growth in health care and elder services from banking and investment to golf cart sales for the next several decades. Arizona will recover and be among the leaders in job and income growth and opportunity as it has been since WWII. AZ was and is the place to be for young or old alike.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:21 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
I think everything everywhere took a hit in the recession. I also beleive it will all recover eventually. Best to be smart until it does.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:48 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post

What??? Did you hear about all the baby boomers retiring now that were born between 1946-64? They will be coming into this State looking for somewhere to live. So, I seriously doubt that there will be a huge "oversupply" of homes because of retiree death (or moving to assisted living). Au contraire since I'm guessing that there may be a huge "lack" of suitable 55+ community homes for them as more and more retirees move here taking their place. There are more people coming into retirement with these baby boomers than ever before in America's history. If they want to move to a 55+ community where do you think they will go? There are only so many communities built and so many homes available at any given time.
Where did you ever get the idea that the homes vacated by the (dead) retirees would not be bought up by the retirees looking to settle here???? I don't get your rationale at all....help me understand your thinking here, please.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:40 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
I sometimes think Davis California is my place to retire. Take away my keys at age 75 so that I won't be a road menace, but just scoot around on a three-wheeled bike on the numerous bike routes.

But then I think instead, Mid town Scottsdale (north part of the greenbelt) from October to the end of April, then rent a cabin in Flagstaff from May through September. Yup. That's gotta be it. Native Californian, love it, my parents are buried there. But Arizona is much more sane.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I sometimes think Davis California is my place to retire. Take away my keys at age 75 so that I won't be a road menace, but just scoot around on a three-wheeled bike on the numerous bike routes.

But then I think instead, Mid town Scottsdale (north part of the greenbelt) from October to the end of April, then rent a cabin in Flagstaff from May through September. Yup. That's gotta be it. Native Californian, love it, my parents are buried there. But Arizona is much more sane.
You're in good health, and will be driving until you're 100.

I know plenty of people in their 80's that are excellent drivers and I would ride with any one of them before I would ride with some of the younger less experienced drivers who don't understand that reckless driving and speed, kills.

Old 09-13-2011, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
What??? Did you hear about all the baby boomers retiring now that were born between 1946-64? They will be coming into this State looking for somewhere to live. So, I seriously doubt that there will be a huge "oversupply" of homes because of retiree death (or moving to assisted living). Au contraire since I'm guessing that there may be a huge "lack" of suitable 55+ community homes for them as more and more retirees move here taking their place. There are more people coming into retirement with these baby boomers than ever before in America's history. If they want to move to a 55+ community where do you think they will go? There are only so many communities built and so many homes available at any given time.
Where did you ever get the idea that the homes vacated by the (dead) retirees would not be bought up by the retirees looking to settle here???? I don't get your rationale at all....help me understand your thinking here, please.
Many of the homes of retirees who pass on will be used by their children, either as vacation homes, or a permanent home. Even if the homes hit the market, I can't imagine them all dying at once.

• Many communities have been making plans to attract the large quantities of retiring baby boomers.

In my opinion AZ will always be one of the most desirable retirement states because it has so much to offer.

There is no other state, or country that I would choose over AZ.

Tahiti has wonderful year around weather, with plenty of water activities and great people, but it's remote, and very little medical facilities.

Costa Rica is popular. They have little crime, low cost of living, but again, it's remote and not as much water activities for me as Tahiti. Visit the volcano once and you're seen it.

We considered Guatamala, but the government is always unstable, and you have to have a guard at your home, and a guard to protect you from the guard Also, very little medical facilities.

Miami has hurricanes and very high humidity

San Francisco Bay Area (were we moved from) is great, but very expensive, and they have earth quakes.

Texas. no way, I served in the Army in Ft Hood.

Gulf coast states are too humid and have hurricanes.

New Mexico, why?

The answer always comes up Arizona for me, and Phoenix area in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area