U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2011, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I graduated college this past spring and was just offered a job in downtown Phoenix. I'm originally from northern California, though I attended school in the central valley of California. I'm considering the move but want to figure out everything before a pack up and move over a state.

I've been to Phoenix many times at various points in the year. I will know people there, and I can handle the 100+ degree weather. I'm curious as to where I should live if I'm working in downtown Phoenix. I will have a car; however, would prefer to use public transportation to and from work if possible. If anyone could recommend any nice apartment complexes, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, if you could give me an estimate cost of living in the area for a single person that'd be great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 11:03 PM

3,341 posts, read 6,211,672 times
Where in downtown (cross streets)? If truly in downtown, then look for an apartment or condo to rent on the light rail line since you said you'd prefer public transportation, or better yet, look for a place right in downtown. 44 Monroe is a fantastic apartment tower but is pricey, starting at around $1100 for a 1 bedroom.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:14 PM

I'll be working with the City of Phoenix so on W. Washington Street.

Thanks for the input! I'll check that apartment tower out.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:13 AM

2,879 posts, read 4,108,640 times
Cali--I first moved here from Berkeley/Oakland in 1995. 8 properties later, I am living in a small cottage in Midtown 1 br/1 bth on 7244 sf with a block wall. It is quite a bit safer than Temescal, for example.
To buy is 1/20th, to rent is 1/3........

Old 09-10-2011, 11:36 AM

1,272 posts, read 826,203 times
Maybe you want to consider living in downtown tempe near a light rail station there (you can take the light rail to work from a light rail station in downtown tempe)- downtown tempe has a lot more to do for a young person in their 20's than downtown phoenix -just an idea

Old 09-11-2011, 01:10 PM

Thank you so much for the input! I'll have to check out both areas. I've considered buying because of the housing prices going down. I figured if I didn't like it and decided to move back, I can just rent my property but we'll see. I'm still trying to weigh my options.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:58 AM

6,043 posts, read 5,625,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGirl11 View Post
Thank you so much for the input! I'll have to check out both areas. I've considered buying because of the housing prices going down. I figured if I didn't like it and decided to move back, I can just rent my property but we'll see. I'm still trying to weigh my options.
Be smart and rent first. The prices are not going up that much (if at all) any time soon. Remember, if you have a mortgage in Phoenix, and want to leave, you MAY not get a tenant, the tenant you get may be a bad tenant, you may have damages, you will have headaches and ongoing expenses, and it all may end up costing you money.

Furthermore, you may not be able to qualify for another mortgage in another city where YOU want to live.

Don't buy a HOUSE 'just because the prices are low.' Buy a HOME when you KNOW where you want to live.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:46 PM

798 posts, read 756,366 times
Try North central Phoenix. There are several transit centers and Park and Rides to choose from. Try living here for at least 6 months before buying so you get familiar with the area.

Old 09-14-2011, 02:51 PM

234 posts, read 395,193 times
Roosevelt Square Apartments - Apartments in Phoenix I lived there, sounds like it would be a good fit for you. Off the light rail, Central and Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area