Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:33 AM

800 posts, read 1,911,218 times

Advertisements

"So the lake isn't really much of a boon to the neighborhood unless your home happens to back right up onto it, and ours doesn't. Not a big deal, I was just wondering if it was open to everyone or not."

Not sure if those "lakes" are really that great anyway. I've looked down from the hiking trail above and never seen anybody actually with their little paddle boats out on them. I have a friend who backs a "lake". That one's a bit scummy. There's fish in there (carp) but you wouldn't want to eat them. Good things about it is enhanced view and bird watching. Serene.

"Good to know about the monthly pool cost and that we definitely, definitely need to keep up with pest control! But someone mentioned we probably wouldn't be responsible for termite treatment, just "regular pest control"? Not sure about the difference here-- does that mean we should expect to see lots of scorpions or spiders if we don't pay for a pest control service? I'm woefully ignorant about desert critters (obviously)."

Again, check with your landlord about house-eating organisms.

You may, or may not, have a bug problem anywhere in the Valley. Depends on how well the house is sealed, how long it's been vacant, how clean you keep it, how clean the neighbors are, and proximity to sewer, open desert, new construction etc etc. I've lived three miles south of Arrowhead in an older home for several years, never saw one scorpion or cockroach. Lived in my current newer home a few miles north for 4 years, the same. Never had a need for pest control. In central Phoenix I know people who have terrible roach and scorpion problems. Some areas are just more prone than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,268 times
Moved from Oregon to Glendale, AZ (arrowhead, Sierra Verde) approx 4 yrs ago. Have been temporaily back in oregon since may 2011. Am returning to AZ in March 12. Didnt realize I would miss the area as much as I do. Will be looking to buy/rent again in arrowhead. Always felt very comfortable living there. The summers were simply brutal but much better than spending 9 months of the year being bombarded with rainfall in the willamette valley of oregon. People more friendly in AZ than Oregon. Politically, I found AZ much much more to my liking than Oregon. If you have one ounce of conservative blood in you, you will be dissed by these oregon liberals. They love their big government and high taxes . Counting the days/hrs until i exit this state and head to AZ........right now....10wks, 5days,16hrs,32min, 10sec.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,033 times
I would say move in and live there a month or two and then decide if you think you need pest or pool service. Most pools are easy to care for yourself, if you're willing to spend 10 mins. a week.

You may have no bug problems at all. May as well find out before spraying. If you do spray, I find bi-monthly is good enough for me. If I didn't live in scorpion-land, I probably wouldn't spray at all. I think most of the valley doesn't have a lot of scorpion issues.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
Arrowhead was a good choice. I am really down on Glendale. but that is the southern part of Glendale. Just look at the crime maps. Good luck. Can you clue us in on your rent?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:30 PM

94 posts, read 119,687 times
Pool service should be less than 100 per month-
pest control= get sprayed as needed usually under 50
day care is more reasonable in AZ than NE

as for the termite issue I'd ask the leaser about that one- it could be a problem.
Arrowhead is nice you will like it

Old 06-28-2017, 09:31 PM

94 posts, read 119,687 times
oops- this is very old--not sure how it got here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area