Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
Your rental property may also be subject to Transaction Privilege Tax, depending on the municipal juresdiction. By law, you must register your property as a rental with the county within ten days (assuming your rental is in Maricopa County) or be subject to fines. You must also have a statutory agent that resides within the state. Different cities have different rules on whether you must file TPT returns (monthly or quarterly). Check out the Arizona Department of Revenue's link.

I am not a lawyer or accountant. The above is not intended to be taken as legal or financial advice.

Okay, you're not a lawyer or accountant, but perhaps someone else here is.

I've seen this tax explicitly added to rent, e.g. $1000 per month plus 2.5% TPT; it's customarily added to rent the same way sales taxes are added at the register.

Can someone explain how this is not effectively a tax on renters, and in the context of a tax on renters, how is that fair? Shelter is generally regarded as a necessity, but in AZ it's a taxable privilege to rent shelter?

Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I've seen this tax explicitly added to rent, e.g. $1000 per month plus 2.5% TPT; it's customarily added to rent the same way sales taxes are added at the register.

Can someone explain how this is not effectively a tax on renters, and in the context of a tax on renters, how is that fair? Shelter is generally regarded as a necessity, but in AZ it's a taxable privilege to rent shelter?
I'm neither an attorney nor accountant, but this may help explain it. Here is a snippet:

"Whether the property is residential or commercial, the actual owner of the property is responsible for the payment of all taxes due on the property--not the occupant of the property. On all lease agreements, the tax amount will be clearly stated if it is a part of the lease agreement. For instance, if the rent is $1000 a month, and there is a 2-percent rental sales tax, the tax due would be $20 a month. So, the landlord can either charge the occupant $1020 for rent, or waive the fee and pay it on his own to the city."

Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:

It is a tax on renters. Renters generally don't vote, so they're fair game to politicians looking for an easy budget fix. Landlords generally do vote, and large companies that own big complexes are represented by lobbyists, so the renter is the obvious target.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 PM

603 posts, read 946,214 times
Quote:

The state isn't charging it. Cities are. I know Scottsdale charges a 1.65% TPT tax on residential rentals, and I believe Phoenix charges a residential rental TPT tax as well.

This is not income tax, it's Arizona's version of sales tax. Income tax will depend both on the tax laws where you earned the money, and where you reside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area