U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 72,462 times
Default Best small towns

I am interested in finding out about the best small towns in Arizona. My husband and I live in Maryland and are trying to find a place that is small <10,000 people, has a nice Main Street area, has shopping within a 20 mile range. This may sound silly, but is a small town like Star's Hollow from Gilmore Girls. I am not naive and I realize that that is small town romanticized, but I have been to enough small towns to realize that there are some wonderful places out there.
We visited Arizona a couple of years ago and loved it. We were in Jerome, Page, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon (of course), Sedona. We found it to have a gentler pace than the East. Also beautiful and we loved the weather.
If you can give us some suggestions I would really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 PM

3,632 posts, read 10,770,507 times
You should post this under the AZ forum and not the Phoenix forum for more help. The mod will probably move it for you though. Good luck!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:07 PM

3 posts, read 72,462 times
Thanks! I'm new to this and need all the help I can get!

Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM

19,439 posts, read 16,215,198 times
Hmmm, less than 10,000 people. Im thinking maybe Tombstone or Benson, but not sure of the population.
For me, 10k people is about good, too, anything else is too many. But Im doing 3rd best to what I can, by not living in Phoenix...
Flagstaff is very nice, but its more of a tourist town with around 60,ooo (am I correct?) people. Ive considered many times moving back up there but my line of work isnt stable in the winter time (construction). In fact, its slowing down a bit, out here, too, might consider going back into trucking...

Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 3,658,747 times
You didn't mention weather...If higher elevations and some snow are okay, you might start a search in Show Low and work out from there. Lots of small towns above the rim: Heber-Overgaard, Eagar, Springerville, Pinetop-Lakeside, etc.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:37 PM

599 posts, read 1,528,888 times
rocketpalmer, in addition to normal small towns, you may also want to include Master Planned Communities in/near larger cities in your search. The goal of many MPCs is to be a small town with the whole "live/work/play/shop/dine" concept all within steps from your front door. Good luck in your search!

Old 09-18-2007, 02:09 PM

15,784 posts, read 13,499,244 times
Since someone mentioned Benson, I'll chip in with what I know.

Benson has a population of under 5,000 but I'm sure there are another 5,000+ in the surrounding area. It does have basic shopping - plus a bit more actually now that the big new Walmart has opened up there. More will be coming as the area grows (which it will). Until the big softening of the housing market, there were some 30,000 new homes scheduled to be built in nearby Whetstone. About half of those will not happen now (one of the big builders pulled out) but 10,000 are still likely to go in sometime over the next few years (exactly when is dependent on long the housing crisis lasts). In any event with that growth will come additional retail (Home Depot is looking into buying some land there, as is one of the big drug store chains). Also, when the Passages of Tucson gets eventually built (assuming it does) in Vail, major shopping (and a good-sized hospital) will be 20 minutes away. So, Benson is still relatively small at the moment but likely to grow (that may or may not be a plus for you) - however, I can't really envision it as anything too large (at least not for a while). Right now for additional shopping you have to go to Tucson (40+ minutes) or Sierra Vista (similar distance - 30,000+ population).

In regards to appearance of the town, Benson is nothing special - rather plain and actually (I think)a bit on the ugly side.

Climate in the area is nice as the elevation is a bit higher than Tucson. Benson is at 3,500 feet (where my land is at J-6 Ranchettes it's 4,200 feet). This means it's not quite as hot as Tucson (and much less than Phoenix) but still pleasant in the winter. Summer highs are typically in the mid-90's or so, winter highs in the low 60's). Because of it's elevation, SE Arizona as a whole is more mild than most folks think.

Ken

Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 26,141 times
Default best small town in arizona is wickenburg

I grew up in Wickenburg, AZ. I suggest you look into the town, you may find it ideal in size. It has under 10,000 people. The crime rate is very low, the town prides itself on its' charm and people are friendly. The pace is laid back, and it is about 40 minutes away from large city shopping. Retrospectively, it is a wonderful town in which to grow up. I would highly a trip there, or visit the chamber website. (search engine wickenburg chamber of commerce, and you'll find it.)
Good luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,570,605 times
Wickenburg would be a good starting point.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 AM

652 posts, read 1,544,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketpalmer View Post
My husband and I live in Maryland and are trying to find a place that is small <10,000 people, has a nice Main Street area, has shopping within a 20 mile range. This may sound silly, but is a small town like Star's Hollow from Gilmore Girls. I am not naive and I realize that that is small town romanticized
I disagree with you that this is " small town romanticized" - that's what all small towns used to look like and should still look like. Instead they have been ruined by chain stores, multi-national corporations, walmarts, megamalls, etc..

As far as towns like that, have you looked into Bisbee AZ? Also are you only looking in Arizona? I have a suggestion for you in Nevada as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area