U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 AM

7 posts, read 6,445 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been offered the opportunity with his job to transfer over to Arizona for 2 years.
We're currently living in Dublin Ireland have a 14 month old son, Im also pregnant and we also have 4 dogs (staffordshire Bull terriers)
The area we are looking to move to is Chandler or Gilbert.
I wondered if anyone could give me some information about the areas, the communities are they safe, are there things to do, is it kiddie and doggie friendly...costs of childcare etc..

Its a great opportunity for us and I have been scanning the net looking for info but would be great to hear from people in the area who know it.

Thank you

Lisa
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 AM

23 posts, read 21,109 times
im renting until find a house to buy
dont have pets but think 4 dogs wil be a problem

rentin in chandler and was looking in fountain hills. now looking in gilbert to buy. have to get a realator soon

Old 09-22-2011, 10:51 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,577,541 times
Gilbert is a very safe town. It's been deemed the safest in the state, and the 5th safest in the U.S., according to some. Chandler is nice too, just a few areas to avoid.

Gilbert is also home to Cosmo's Dog Park, which has received international attention. There are a few restaurants that will allow dogs on the patios, but not many. I do think having 4 dogs, and especially Staffordshire Bull Terriers, will be a rental challenge. I was recently helping someone find a rental that had one dog. The lease agreement for one property specified about 8 breeds that were not allowed, even if they were "mixed." Your dog breed was on the list.

Gilbert and Chandler are both family friendly, with many parks to enjoy.

Living in the desert will be a huge change for you........you can leave your umbrella's behind!

Old 09-22-2011, 11:00 AM

170 posts, read 367,913 times
Gilbert and Chandler both are very safe areas. High tech companies and
good school districtes. I moved here 5 years ago after my reseach online.
I feel I made a good choice.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:26 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,645,797 times
Re: the dogs. Before going any further, calculate the cost of bringing them by plane to AZ - the financial cost, the stress on the dogs, the risk to the dogs riding in cargo, the stress on you, a pregnant woman. The stress of such a huge change in climate for them. Sometimes the kindest thing to do is to find then new homes.

Also know that many property insurance companies in the US will NOT insure you with that breed. Discriminatory - probably. But that's the way it is.

More bad news: your chances of finding a rental in ANY nice neighborhood (read: safe) is pretty close to zero. Four dogs isn't going something any landlord is going to accept unless they don't care about their property. And again, the breed will be a liability. A slumlord is what you will get.

One more long term problem. Many, many homes here are in HOA communities. Many HOA's have restrictions on the number of pets. Some have restrictions on breeds. You're going to have problems on both counts, whether you are renting or own the house. Truthfully, the vast majority of homes in the area will not have a lot that is large enough for these four dogs.

ALL of these are reasons to think about what is BEST for your beloved pets.

I'm not trying to be negative here: it's reality.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:40 AM

Thank you for your replies.

coming without the dogs is not an option, I dont see them as disposable items. My partners job are paying for the relocation and the expense of flying the dogs over.

Why is the breed such a big issue? They are all obedience trained and house trained and very well behaved animals, they have no behavioural issues at all.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:02 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,221,158 times
Here in the states many breeds are banned or restricted in leasing or some hoa's and it does not matter how well trained or behaved they are. A tempermental chihuaha, most places wont blink. A trained akc tournament worthy pit bull, places will not even consider for example.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:57 AM

oh the joys of BSL!

hopefully something will come up because it will be no move without the dogs. My lot have never caused an ounce of bother to anyone.. I really hope ignorance isnt going to ruin this opportunity for us.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:20 AM

6,066 posts, read 8,351,123 times
Many years ago, I gave away our first family dog when we were moving to a different city, and it is a decision I have regretted all my life. I still think about that dog and the mistake I made.

So I know exactly where you're coming from.

You will have a difficult time, but it isn't impossible. Some owners will charge a $20/mo per pet fee. Others will charge an additional pet deposit.

Most HOA's that I'm familiar with don't restrict the number of dogs, but owners will not be able to breed to sell as a business. They will also restrict certain breeds that may be considered dangerous.

Because of your dog's breed resembling the American Pit Bull, and the possibility of the Staffordshire being protective and attacking people, even if trained, you may have a difficult time. Staffordshire Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You may need to go the extra mile to guarantee an owner that these pets will not tear up their house/yard, and be prepared to pay a premium for having them allowed. You need to have a "renters insurance policy" and I suggest you speak with an insurance company in advance to see what it would cost for extra liability coverage for these 4 pets. An assurance to an owner that you will have this coverage may go a long way.

You can call Geico or any other large insurance company to discuss that quote. You would need to have that coverage because if one of your dogs did bite someone, you can probably expect to be sued, or at the least have to pay for the medical treatment.

Another pro-active task is to google Property Managers in Phoenix. They handle a lot of rentals. Talk to several of them and get them to address the situation and give you advice.

Good luck, I home everything works out well for you and your pets.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:32 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,645,797 times
Allow me to point out that I never suggested you consider your beloved dogs disposable. I just wanted to help you understand the realities here in the US and in AZ.

Whether or not you and I agree with it, this breed has been found to have a higher rate of liability. You will have the above mentioned difficulties with rentals, HOA's and insurance companies. You cannot entirely avoid it. Also be aware that a few airlines have begun to enforce breed restriction.

In fact, my bigger concern is the safety and long term happiness of your dogs. How happy will they be limited to living on a small lot with a small backyard? Do you walk them off leash? That's not permitted here (and rightly so). Have you researched the risks of flying them overseas in the cargo hold? I did - and that's not a risk I would take with my dog.

Sometimes the BEST choice for your entire family are the hardest ones. And finding a new good home for the dogs may be a better alternative FOR THEM than moving them halfway around the world fir a less than acceptable quality of life. Similarly, losing an important career opportunity may have a huge detrimental longterm effect on your children and husband's future.

There's no good answer here. It's a hard situation, but you need to look at the truth and consequences of your decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area