Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:46 PM

800 posts, read 1,904,018 times

Advertisements

You'll hear these phrases a lot:
"But it's a dry heat."; "your blood thins"; "I sure hope it rains!";

Why not come down during summer monsoon season and see whether you find the heat oppressive or not. Some come and embrace the beauty and climate of the desert, some hate the lack of green and four seasons and move back north/east. There's a lot of other things to consider besides the heat. You should also explore the Valley before you decide on a particular city like Gilbert. There's around 30 different municipalities, each of which have their good and bad areas and housing price points, to choose from.

I moved here from Canada in '96 - Summer is actually one of my favorite seasons here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:05 PM

57 posts, read 90,138 times
I think the lack of color will be hard to get use to. We are planning a trip as we speek. Hard part is, we are so far airfair is pricey and the stay in AZ then the state is so big. Trust me I am not one to make rash decisions. Even something like eastern standerd time..

My big hobby is my 68 gto. And instead of a few good months to use it I will have most of the year, exept when to hot. That will be different, but I even get that here.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,054,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68428GOAT View Post
I think the lack of color will be hard to get use to.
There is color, just in small amounts. And when you notice those they are their own kind of beauty. (I'm in far NE Valley in a desert-y area.) The blooms on the saguaros in the spring can be stunning.

After four years I've gotten used to the heat. (It was what worried me most about moving here from SoCal.) I was very proud when I had my first full summer under my belt. 115 is still HOT, but 90 is entirely do-able. Your body really does adjust.

Living where the pace is slower is worth the heat, IMHO. I also love the "live and let live" attitude of most Zonies.

You'll learn to park in the shade (even if it's 40 spaces from the front door and they are all empty) and scurry into buildings.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,105,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
...........................>> If you are one of those that thinks 90 plus afternoons is too hot, then look for somewhere else to live. You simply must be able to adjust to that to have any hope of enjoying this place.<<
This is probably the most honest, accurate and concise statement summarizing the "heat" in the Tucson/Phoenix area from approx May1st to Oct 31st,..... that has been posted here in a long time.

Anybody that moves to Tucson/Phoenix area without visiting several times in June, July & August, has nobody to blame (but themselves) if they can't stand the heat..............period!!

If you can't afford to visit...............then be prepared for "a few surprises"......of several types, and keep your complaints to yourself!

Since the 1950s, I have made trips to AZ (and spent time there) at least 50 times: (business trips, short vacations and long (5 month periods) encompassing all 12 months. It's a great place to visit (depending on your interests, hobbies, ability to adapt etc,etc)..........but move there permanently-----NEVER
But....don't forget....this is just MHO!!.......someone who was born, raised and has lived in the northern U.S. for almost 80 full years!

I do have to add: I sure like the present governor.............She has common sense & GUTS!!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:02 PM

6,415 posts, read 7,624,339 times
Here is a link for you:

weather - arizona weather - phoenix weather - azcentral.com

Enjoy the dust storms!

Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,521,060 times
We moved here last June from Oregon and I have to say, I love it here. We live in Chandler and there is so much to do. We do have a daughter who is 9 years old, two dogs and two cats. It does get very hot, but that has not stopped me from going grocery shopping, to the park, to the mall etc... When you grocery shop you just have to make sure to go straight home. I put my groceries in the back seat as apposed to the truck now, but other than that, not much difference in the shopping area. We did get a house with a pool and that has helped a lot, so I would suggest getting a house with a pool if at all possible. It has been nice to go out in the evening and swim to cool down.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:18 PM

157 posts, read 451,824 times
I grew up in western PA and currently live in AZ. 70 degrees is the perfect temp for me. SO that's my background.

With that said, the heat can be an issue. It gets hot out here. There is no way to sugar coat it. When people say it feels like an oven, it literally does. July-August is the worst. However, 110 in Arizona is BETTER than 90 in PA. 90 in AZ is practically nice. And, unless you work outside, you don't have to worry about it.

First, everything out here has a/c. My house in PA had no a/c so every summer was spent sitting in front of a fan at full blast, while I still sweated uncontrollably. Second, the dry heat keeps it mostly tolerable. It feels like an oven in your face but there is no constant sticky/sweaty feel.

And winters, ugh. I do not miss winters. I do not miss scraping ice off my car. I do not miss driving behind snowplows and coal trucks. I do not miss wearing giant coats.

I miss the greenery though. That's about it.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,197,584 times
I came here from Cleveland, Ohio 4 years ago and love it. The low 100s with low humidity are my favorite weather. Especially like right now where once the sun goes down it is just gorgeous (sitting on my patio now with my smartphone surfing CD lol).

Once you get 110ish it is just well hot. But to go about daily life it is fine, just plan any outdoor stuff early or late. And you dont have to shovel it. I will gladly deal with the heat over snow and cold anyday. Just stay hydrated, seek shade, and dont plan like 20 mile jogs early afternoon in the summer.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:31 PM

150 posts, read 304,453 times
The worst part of the heat is listening to everyone complain about it, just like listening to people here in pa complain about the snow. In AZ it's "I don't think I can take another summer here" in PA it's "I don't think I can take another winter here", so where are you gonna go where the weather is perfect?

One thing people moving to AZ don't often consider is the fact that it's pretty much sunny every day, summer and winter, and even though that sounds like paradise I think it gets to some people. After three years in AZ I can't believe how much I enjoy the different seasons and changes in the weather.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:45 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,197,584 times
We do have 4 seasons in Phoenix. They are just named different: hot, really hot, perfect and that few week season of "you may want to wear long pants instead of shorts".

One of my personal chuckles is that there is such a huge selection of boots in the store for what, all that snow lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area