U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Status: "Wake me up when September ends!" (set 16 days ago)

3,463 posts, read 4,416,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
This does seem to be a terrific group of players in how they support each other. They already have a better record than the 2001 team, which is a testament to how hard they play, right to the last out. Matt Cain commented on that after Friday night's game, that they always play to the end.

Last night was great fun, if a very long game. 220 plus pitches by Giants pitchers helped make that happen, even without the lights out delay.
I've heard mixed reviews on their playing record this year compared to 2001. Of course, we don't have the exact team as ten years ago ... it's not the same Johnson, Schilling, or Gonzalez lineup. But what I'm impressed by is how they proved all the critics wrong who said at the beginning of the season that the DBacks won't make it anywhere close to the playoffs.

If they do make it to the Series, I'm just hoping the coverage will be better than it was '01. For one thing, that was the year of the 9/11 tragedies, and it seemed like everybody was rooting for the Yankees. Even worse was the sports announcers making little derogatory remarks about Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 02:55 PM

13,867 posts, read 16,558,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I've heard mixed reviews on their playing record this year compared to 2001. Of course, we don't have the exact team as ten years ago ... it's not the same Johnson, Schilling, or Gonzalez lineup. But what I'm impressed by is how they proved all the critics wrong who said at the beginning of the season that the DBacks won't make it anywhere close to the playoffs.

If they do make it to the Series, I'm just hoping the coverage will be better than it was '01. For one thing, that was the year of the 9/11 tragedies, and it seemed like everybody was rooting for the Yankees. Even worse was the sports announcers making little derogatory remarks about Phoenix.
In referring to their record, I'm just talking wins/losses. Just numbers, no opinions or reviews. They are very different teams. The main difference is that there were high expectations for the 2001 team-- not for this edition. That's what makes what they've done so special. When I undertook a partnership in a pair of half-season tickets last fall, I certainly didn't expect this. Neither did my partners, who have been season ticket holders from day 1.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 PM

8,161 posts, read 9,317,017 times
very fun team and am glad they are having success

one of those teams you can't quite figure out how they are doing it - yet they keep getting it done

Old 09-26-2011, 11:09 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,851,598 times
I was watching the victory at home on TV and it looked like such great fun. Wonderful to see the players be so excited in a genuine way. I appreciate how they took the time to interact with the fans and behave as if they appreciate the support they have. I think their manager sets the tone for that. He took the time to tell his interviewer that people don't realize how many behind-the-scenes employees it takes to field a ball club that most viewers will never see.

He also thanked the D'backs broadcast team for their support. I've lived in cities all over the country and I would agree that Phoenix has as good a TV baseball announcing team as I've ever heard. They're knowledgeable about the game, genuinely enthusiastic about the team, are great interviewers, work as a real team, and keep the tone positive no matter what happens. I've consistently noticed that they take the time to point out when the opposing team does something well and they have informative things to say about all the cities where the D'backs play. That's something you don't get everywhere in the country. Other teams have iconic announcers who have made baseball history, but the Diamondbacks have a GROUP that works well together with equally good play-by-play, commentary, and interview skills.

Go Diamondbacks. Surprise us some more!

Old 09-28-2011, 01:18 AM

687 posts, read 1,179,159 times
Walk-off grand slam tonight. After the Dodgers scored 5 in that inning, I told my wife I was only still watching so I didn't feel like a frontrunner. Best baseball decision I've made in a while.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,752,865 times
I left the game when Owings had given up 3 runs in the top of the 10th. By the time I got to the light rail stop they were down 6-1. As I stepped off the train the grand slam happened. Should have stayed.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:06 PM

198 posts, read 184,828 times
I had mixed feelings for those who left. But, I was mostly laughing.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM

5,192 posts, read 4,851,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salpointe59 View Post
I had mixed feelings for those who left. But, I was mostly laughing.
I have a feeling that game is going to become like the Immaculate Reception is in Pittsburgh ... more people claim they were there than there were seats in the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area