Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 07:48 PM

4 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Paradise Valley area by Liberty elementary also by Frank lloyd Wright in Scottsdale. I want to move back there. I have heard a lot has changed, can anyone tell me about the changes in the last 10 years and also crime in the area.What areas have the least? Also what is a good area to live now for families ( good schools)? Anything about the light rail and where it goes...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM
M74

46 posts, read 114,962 times
Where are you coming back from?

Frank Lloyd Wright area is still nice as well as most of Paradise Valley.

The light rail is still being built but there is a map of the locations it does go to. Not sure of the link.

I'm a native who moved away and have been back for 15 years to long. A LOT has changed in the last 10 years. Mostly not so good. I'm not a doom and gloomer but unemployment his high, unless your in the service industry. Housing is what it is. If your an investor or looking to buy it's awesome. The valley is filled with people "strategically defaulting" and getting into neighborhoods that were out of touch 10 years ago. So....

Anyway, I asked where you are coming back from because we all tend to forget why we moved or that the grass must be greener. I'm not one to crush anyone's dream of brighter pastures but I try to lay helpful reminders to weigh pro's and con's. The valley has things to offer some, but the area is struggling. It's not what it was 15-20 years ago, environmentally, economically, politically etc. Will it bounce back? Of course. When? It'll be awhile. Should you move back? Only you know for sure.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Of course it's gotten larger but all the things you've missed like weather, new stucco homes and great shopping are still here. Depends on what you are coming back for. I don't think the economy is good anywhere but it's a great time to buy our here because of it. It's not that different as far as most of the things people miss. Welcome back!

Old 10-03-2011, 10:46 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It has changed politically here and in a number of ways. Used to be a much more pronounced live and let live kind of place than it is. Now, the legislature has gone from the fiscal and Goldwater to the social and fringe conservatives reflecting a similar trend in attitudes. There is a lot of ethnic tension too as a result of a perceived huge increase in illegal immigration over the past ten years. Cuts in education have made a bad situation worse in schools all the way to the university level. Government services used to be right up there with the best but now roads, parks, and rest stops are boarded up or falling into disrepair. Ten years ago Maricopa County, Phoenix and valley cities were winning awards as the best run agencies in America. Now all you hear about is corruption, political bickering, lawsuits, and incompetency.

Temperatures are hotter. People are poorer. The rich are richer. It just is not as nice a place as it was to live IMO. Ten years ago we had a good thing going on here and we were progressing, but that is gone and I wonder if it is ever coming back.

One positive auto theft is way down from ten years ago and crime in general as well.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-03-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 10-03-2011, 11:06 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
The area around Liberty Elementary, which is in the "Paradise Valley Village" area of the City of Phoenix, has not changed much at all in the last 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area