Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 PM

278 posts, read 622,839 times

Advertisements

We just moved here about 6 months ago. I love it here. I'm originally from Spfld IL which is one of the nations top crime infested places..So, crime here isn't something I see at all. The people are friendly, the location where we bought is great! We pretty much have a park with a fountain for a front yard, a 2 minute walk to a heated pool (we timed it), and we can walk to Trader Joe's, Bleachers, and anywhere else in that area. LOVE IT! We originally wanted to live in the city, but found there's nothing really there. The 'historic' houses were small and run down, (at least in our price range) and the supposably nicer historic neighborhoods still looked patchy and run down. I love our tile roof and stucco walls....I really do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,683,166 times
Most of it is really nice. As already stated, patchy crime in ungated apartment complexes here and there, mostly near the 10. Anywhere with lots of retail and highway exits is going to have some crime. Aside from that, it's a very nice area. I lived there for several years.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I lived there for many years. Burglaries were commonplace. I think it may be because it is so accessible to the low lifes and the community is wealthy and ripe for picking. I would look into an alarm system and a low deductible insurance policy if I ever went back - which I wouldn't but because of all the people and congestion, not the crime.

The further you can get from south Phoenix and Guadalupe the better. I would think. .
According to your old posts you moved out of there in 1998. Much of its development occurred well past then. The 202 did not exist when you moved out. The major shopping area on I-10 and Ray east of 48th street was not yet completed. Perhaps when you were there, crime was higher because most of the area had yet to be developed and didn't establish a reputation to attract the more upscale clientele it has now.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I lived there for many years. Burglaries were commonplace. I think it may be because it is so accessible to the low lifes and the community is wealthy and ripe for picking. I would look into an alarm system and a low deductible insurance policy if I ever went back - which I wouldn't but because of all the people and congestion, not the crime.

The further you can get from south Phoenix and Guadalupe the better. I would think. .
According to your old posts you moved out of there in 1998. Much of its development occurred well past then. The 202 did not exist when you moved out. The major shopping area on I-10 and Ray east of 48th street was not yet completed. . Much of the area is shielded from the north by mountains and even the areas proximal to South Phoenix consist of a small portion of Ahwatukee and is still several miles south of the South Phoenix area so it's hardly dangerous. Perhaps when you were there, crime was higher because most of the area had yet to be developed and didn't attract the more upscale clientele it has now. When aress are in their development stage, they tend to be raided by thieves as the area is less protected due to the lack of development.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
According to your old posts you moved out of there in 1998. Much of its development occurred well past then. The 202 did not exist when you moved out. The major shopping area on I-10 and Ray east of 48th street was not yet completed. . Much of the area is shielded from the north by mountains and even the areas proximal to South Phoenix consist of a small portion of Ahwatukee and is still several miles south of the South Phoenix area so it's hardly dangerous. Perhaps when you were there, crime was higher because most of the area had yet to be developed and didn't attract the more upscale clientele it has now. When aress are in their development stage, they tend to be raided by thieves as the area is less protected due to the lack of development.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:50 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
Most of it is really nice. As already stated, patchy crime in ungated apartment complexes here and there, mostly near the 10. Anywhere with lots of retail and highway exits is going to have some crime. Aside from that, it's a very nice area. I lived there for several years.
I don't think crime is an issue in Ahwatukee as much as the traffic congestion. It just seems difficult to get around when all the major streets empty onto the 10, and no real alternative route except for 48th Street. I only wish those stupid NIMBYs would quit opposing the 202 extension ... that has been on the drawing board for over 25 years, but keeps getting delayed for one reason or the other.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ji603 View Post
The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Well I'm sorry if you believe the area of 48th and Ray is dangerous because of supposed gang activity that travels down 48th street but trust me, it's not the case, they don't really enjoy dining at Ra Sushi and shopping at Old Navy.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:08 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well I'm sorry if you believe the area of 48th and Ray is dangerous because of supposed gang activity that travels down 48th street but trust me, it's not the case, they don't really enjoy dining at Ra Sushi and shopping at Old Navy.
Out of curiosity: is Ra Sushi supposed to be a place that attracts would be gang members or a not so nice crowd? Just wondering because I have been to Ra Sushi locations at Kierland, Tempe, and Old Town Scottsdale, and have found most of the crowd to be on the younger side, but definitely not on the order of thuggish. Just wondering because I wasn't quite sure of who you meant by "they".

Old 10-22-2011, 05:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,161,310 times
This thread is dripping with irony.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I have an apartment in Ahwatukee. The ungated apartments are where you would not want to be around and those are mainly around 48th street and toward the I-10 and between Elliot and Pecos. My own apartment complex has had some crime, although it's gated. I have an alarm installed and wired into the police through an alarm company. So I'm not afraid of any break-ins anymore. In addition I do not have any scrap of paper with my name on it or any account of mine on it or any social security. I learned that from being burglarized a few years ago elsewhere in the valley.

In the last year the quality of renters in my apartment complex dropped like a rock. I think it's section 8. But it still has a no tolerance lease. No renting to felons, no drug violators, that type of thing. So they discriminate just a bit. It helps. It's what keeps me there.

I do think you are safe in most of Ahwatukee. I've never been to Peoria but I think Ahwatukee is the cleanest place in the Valley if not tied with it.
Sounds like Presidio!!!!!!!!!! I know from experience. Absolutely no background checks and they rent to anyone with a pulse who can and cannot pay rent. Repo trucks and police all night. The quality of the people has gone down and that has nothing to do with money. It has to do with cleaning up after yourself, respecting neighbors, not breaking into cars and locked gyms, making pools filthy, and mainly being a loud nuisance to the other people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area