U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 02:37 PM

658 posts, read 1,775,955 times

Advertisements

Ponderosa's right on pretty much everything. OP shouldn't have turned, and will lose that battle in phoenix municipal court if the other driver shows up to the hearing.

Even if oncoming traffic blows the red, the primary fault lies with the driver who's turning L - even if (as they always do) the driver says, "But he was speeding!"
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 03:05 PM

1,359 posts, read 774,764 times
If you're turning from the far left lane and are involved in some sort of collision and you DID NOT have a green arrow, you can automatically assume that you will be put at fault for it. When in doubt, yield.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:54 PM

14,851 posts, read 18,012,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Actually it does unless there is a sign prohibiting a turn without an arrow, it is not illegal. Perhaps in Branson it's different.
The different state laws differ. I googled it and in New York, you can enter the intersection to turn on a green if there is no other car in front of you. Apparently in Arizona you can as well (taking your word for it).

Legalities aside, it is prudent to NOT enter the intersection if there is a possiblity that you are going to be stuck out there when the light turns yellow or red. Which reminds me of something I read once....

Here lies the body of Thomas Gray
Who died defending his right of way
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

The moral being that it doesn't matter if it is legal or not...if it's a bad idea then the SMART thing to do is to stay out of the intersection until it is clear to turn. Then you don't have to worry about it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-18-2011, 04:00 PM

17,581 posts, read 20,907,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The different state laws differ. I googled it and in New York, you can enter the intersection to turn on a green if there is no other car in front of you. Apparently in Arizona you can as well (taking your word for it).

Legalities aside, it is prudent to NOT enter the intersection if there is a possiblity that you are going to be stuck out there when the light turns yellow or red. Which reminds me of something I read once....

Here lies the body of Thomas Gray
Who died defending his right of way
His right was clear, his will was strong,
But he's just as dead as if he'd been wrong.

The moral being that it doesn't matter if it is legal or not...if it's a bad idea then the SMART thing to do is to stay out of the intersection until it is clear to turn. Then you don't have to worry about it.

20yrsinBranson
You are likely to get shot in a road rage incident if you fail to go into the intersection on green here. The City of Phoenix traffic engineers have a visceral dislike for left turn arrows and there are many, many intersections in Phoenix that would benefit from them but do not have them. At certain times of the day, the only way to make a left is two cars at a time edging into the interesection and turning when the light goes red and/or oncoming traffic stops (perfectly legal, BTW). If someone like you (often an old retiree from somewhere else ) won't venture out, nobody gets thru (sometimes for several cycles. You have no idea how that p.o.'s the people behind you. As you know, everybody here has a gun on the seat and it would be a real temptation being stuck at a light at the end of a long day.

The SMART thing to do in this neck of the woods is to go along with established driving customs and get your "a" out in the intersection.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 PM

8,165 posts, read 9,848,595 times
definitely - get into the intersection and make your turn ... if you are unable to drive, then simply don't get behind the wheel

Not to mention often times you need to cut 3 lanes of traffic to make your turn, so the window of opportunity can be smaller

If you are stationary before the intersection it's common that you could have to clear the opposing right hand turn lane, 2 through lanes and then a left hand turn lane - so you would need to clear 4 lanes before reaching your turning point

If you are already near your turning point then you can make the turn with more confidence and less time to complete the action - which also helps as cars can turn into the approaching green light lanes you need to cross, speeds are variable, etc

there is no additional danger as you are still entering the intersection on a green light, with opposite traffic stopped at a steady red light - you'll still have time to complete your turn even if it goes into a 4 way red and the opposing light turns green ...... you can't just go from stationary and ram a car that has yet to complete their left turn because your light turned green - they must yield to traffic that is using the intersection

Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 PM

28,527 posts, read 21,663,577 times
OP, my wife encountered a similiar situation, she was waiting in the intersection to turn left, the light turned red she proceeded to turn left and an on-comming vehicle ran the red light and t-boned her. My wife was cited under the ARS 28-722 for failure to yield to on-comming traffic. The other party was cited for running a red light.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:42 PM

35 posts, read 29,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
OP, my wife encountered a similiar situation, she was waiting in the intersection to turn left, the light turned red she proceeded to turn left and an on-comming vehicle ran the red light and t-boned her. My wife was cited under the ARS 28-722 for failure to yield to on-comming traffic. The other party was cited for running a red light.
As a motorcycle rider, I've learned to make damn sure that the oncoming care is really going to stop before I turn left in front of them. I also don't just ride through green lights without looking to see if someone is going to blow through their red light.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:24 PM

14,706 posts, read 10,001,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are likely to get shot in a road rage incident if you fail to go into the intersection on green here. The City of Phoenix traffic engineers have a visceral dislike for left turn arrows and there are many, many intersections in Phoenix that would benefit from them but do not have them. At certain times of the day, the only way to make a left is two cars at a time edging into the interesection and turning when the light goes red and/or oncoming traffic stops (perfectly legal, BTW). If someone like you (often an old retiree from somewhere else ) won't venture out, nobody gets thru (sometimes for several cycles. You have no idea how that p.o.'s the people behind you. As you know, everybody here has a gun on the seat and it would be a real temptation being stuck at a light at the end of a long day.

The SMART thing to do in this neck of the woods is to go along with established driving customs and get your "a" out in the intersection.
I have to agree with the OP because I have found AZ drivers to be very rude AND very inconsistent. Specifically, driving slow in the fast lane, driving fast in the slow lane, tailgating, accelerating on a freeway off ramp and making left turns dangerously close in front of on-coming traffic versus yielding until traffic has passed.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 AM

183 posts, read 254,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

This is all true and funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have to agree with the OP because I have found AZ drivers to be very rude AND very inconsistent. Specifically, driving slow in the fast lane, driving fast in the slow lane, tailgating, accelerating on a freeway off ramp and making left turns dangerously close in front of on-coming traffic versus yielding until traffic has passed.
This is also true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area