U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2011, 01:57 AM

7 posts, read 8,671 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone, I posted here a while ago but plans changed and we ended up having to stay with my mom a little longer than planned. We're planning on moving back to AZ probably mid/late December, we aren't entirely sure yet. However I'm having trouble finding an apartment. It's kind of hard considering it's a 5 hour drive from where we live now. When we were living in AZ we lived in Queen Creek and then in Phoenix for a few months but the apartments we got in Phoenix were horrible!!!

I found a complex in Mesa that seems nice and is in our price range however looks aren't everything. I was wondering if anyone knew about this area and if it's a good area. I've never really been around Mesa so I don't know much about the area except it has it's good areas and it's bad areas just like most cities. The complex is on E Broadway near Lindsay Rd. I love Chandler however it's just out of our budget at the moment so it's not an option. There is a complex in Gilbert that we're interested in and we're highly considering it (visited it when we went down to visit family in QC a few months ago) but I like to have options.

We have a 1 year old and safety is a big thing for me. Not only that but the hubby travels a lot for work so I'd like to be able to walk our dog at night without having to feel too concerned if that makes sense.

Thanks, I really appreciate any feedback!
ETA: We're trying to stay in more of the East Valley btw!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 11:15 PM

229 posts, read 429,111 times
That area of Mesa is in the 85204 zip code. You can view crime for that area here and here. Most of zip code 85204 has been dubbed part of the Neighborhood Stabilization Program Areas of Greatest Need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.mesaaz.gov/housing/
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development's new Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) provides funds to every state and certain local communities to acquire foreclosed or abandoned homes and to rehabilitate, resell, or redevelop these homes in order to stabilize neighborhoods and stem the decline of house values of neighboring homes.
You can read more about the Neighborhood Stabilization Program here.

North of Broadway are a bunch of mobile home parks. Not too much crime typically happens inside snowbird parks. There are your thefts, property crimes and so forth, but overall IMO snowbird park crime is low so walking around at night inside such a park is IMO okay.

The apartment buildings along Broadway between Lindsay and Val Vista mean that, to go for a lengthier walk, you probably need to pop onto Broadway for a bit before ducking back into a residential area. You might find me walking a short distance along Broadway to get to the post office, Walgreens, or Fry's grocery store, but I'd probably not walk it with my one-year old. It's a busy intersection in an NSP neighborhood, so kid-in-stroller just doesn't jive for me there.

However, you probably wouldn't find me walking around at night in that area outside a snowbird park. It's not that it's a horrible neighborhood, but it feels somewhat gritty with an extra hint of you-want-to-stay-alert and so it really doesn't quite fit your "I'd like to be able to walk our dog at night without having to feel too concerned" criterion.

JMO, YMMV, good luck.

Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM

5,532 posts, read 2,725,244 times
If you can give the amount you need to stay under we can help you out more. Broadway in Mesa isn't that great of a street to live on in my opinion.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 PM

4 posts, read 8,855 times
I live near that area...maybe about a mile away. There are good and bad pockets even within this mile or 2 radius. One thing I have heard (but don't know first hand, because we live in a house) there are a lot of bed-bugs in some of these apartment buildings. I know 2 people that have had to treat for them, and they live in apartments in this area. People will move out because of bugs...but then just take them to their next place.

It was mentioned about the crime rate...I wouldn't walk too far out of my immediate neighborhood late at night, in this area, either.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:49 AM

1,232 posts, read 1,437,371 times
Broadway all through Mesa is going to be more industrial and low income. But further east like Lindsay is less rough than downtown Mesa. I live near Lindsay and McDowell and it's upscale residential but it's well off that Broadway corridor. I lived off Main and Extension in an apt. when I first moved to Mesa 20 years ago and I didn't feel unsafe but I was the victim of 3 crimes in that year including a break-in/burglary of my apt. (I wasn't home). The other two were thefts from cars.

In Mesa, I probably wouldn't rent south of Brown Rd. myself. I think I'd look in another town first.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:46 PM

214 posts, read 648,271 times
I agree with everyone above, I really haven't been down Broadway at any spot in Mesa and felt like it was a nice area. Same goes for Main St. That being said, there IS a decent looking complex (may be the one you are looking at) on Lindsay/Broadway but that is like a little pocket of resistance around a crumbling neighborhood (for lack of a better phrase)

I live in Mesa now, I recommend areas around Val Vista & Southern/Baseline, or Greenfield& Southern/Baseline. Really nice parts of Mesa are in the north, like Brown Rd or McKellips going from Stapley Rd and Eastward. PM me if you want more info I know of some good locations (I used to live on Greenfield and Southern and loved it)

Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,221,158 times
What is your budget? I lived at a nice complex at the Mesa Gilbert border. Colonial Grand at Inverness Commons at Higley and Baseline. I had a one bed at $625 with free basic cable. I think two bedrooms were around $700.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area